reader

Immigration card change?

From The Nation

91485c463f82b11c456dd2256cb5acf3.jpeg

Breaking News July 23, 2017 14:19

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Immigration Bureau to decide whether to cancel the requirement for visitors to fill the 'TM6' arrival and departure form as part of measures to improve immigration procedure at airports, reduce waiting time and long queues.

A Cabinet resolution had allowed use of the old TM6 form with two separate sections for arrival and departure to be used until September 30. This followed a request from the Ministry of Tourism and Sport's to adjust the new form in order to help the ministry to get information for analysing and planning tourism marketing strategies. The new TM6 form will have only one section for the visitor to fill, with an “automatic channel” barcode for more convenience, and would be used from October 1.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30321551

If I understand their plans correctly, they just want to change the card from two parts (arrival and departure) that need to be filled in to a single part. Apparently there will still be a second part that goes into the passport and needs to be returned at departure time, but it will just have a barcode (no information to be filled in).

That's progress, alright, but other than for answering the silly TAT questions, they could really just scan the passport and put a sticker with the permission of stay and their beloved barcode / arrival card number in the passport. The Japanese stickers are neat, they could just copy their design. That would speed things up considerably, especially with those tourists who are unable to fill in the cards without help.

In other words, I would not only get rid of arrival cards, but also of rubber stamps. THAT would be "Thailand 4.0". ;)

Many places already eliminated this card already.... and the thai still think they need a new form instead?! Really don't understand their logic. I guess someone is making a lot of money as the sole printing company who provide services to print this for the thai gov.

A couple of experiences of not having a departure card both involving Don Muang.

The first time I noticed when I got home in Isaan after arriving through Don Muang that my departure card was missing.

I sorted it by visiting my nearest Immigaration Office at Kap Choeng who gave me a new departure card with an explanation written on it in Thai why the serial numbers didnt tie up. When I next left Thailand through BKK there were no problems.

Second time a lady in front of me in departures at DM asked me if I knew what would happen as she had lost her card.

I told her I didn't know, she presented her passport and was waved through.

I don't know if this would always be the case, perhaps it depends how awake the Officer is, although I suspect it is a common occurance.

If I understand their plans correctly, they just want to change the card from two parts (arrival and departure) that need to be filled in to a single part. Apparently there will still be a second part that goes into the passport and needs to be returned at departure time, but it will just have a barcode (no information to be filled in).

Not according to the sample posted by reader above. The departure card still needs to be filled in. It is very similar to the entry card in Japan. But why oh why do they leave such a tiny space for address? Anyone living here in Thailand will be quite unable to put in his full address (same on the present card, though)!

Totally agree that arrival/departure cards are way out of date now. Sadly entry stamps in the passport are probably here to stay for years. Isnt it the only way if a cop can tell if you are overstaying?

Today's Nationmultimeda site published an updated article on new immigration card with an improved view of flip side.  Overall, it does appear to seek more data in smaller spaces on a single piece of card stock instead of the current hinged two pieces. How this will expedite immigration queues I haven't a clue.

cc3b544410f3d7991daf9a92fba08453.jpeg

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30323322

card is non issue for me , after all while Europe does not use it,  both US and Canada do although for arrivals only.

Place this in your passport and guard with it but pay attention every time you pull your passport - to register in the hotel or exchanging money as those are moments when one may lose departure card.

Guest Promsak

From tonight's online newspaper:

Thai nationals will no longer have to fill out departure or arrival cards before passing through immigration counters at Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports from Oct 1, part of a raft of new measures to tackle overcrowding at Bangkok's air gateways.

And:

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said Wednesday there was talk of scrapping the form entirely but the Tourism Ministry lobbied for its retention for non-Thais.

I have a feeling that I'm not allowed to post a link to the Bangkek paper with the Article.

Guest FASAJIP

One thing is sure, in all this bull shit... They are not able to register and stock barecod, and find it back when you return... There is not only one administration e-service working correctly in Thaïland... I am resident since 10 years, and I try several times 90 days stay e-service, succesless at any time. So, I continue going immigration office every 3 months. This country is in development... Not developed. Wathever they try to proudly prove...

This country is in development... Not developed. Wathever they try to proudly prove...

Plenty of things in our developed countries doesn't work as well / remember 'chads' in Florida's election machines / so it must be something in Thailand which makes you suffering all those long 10 years.

I am resident since 10 years, and I try several times 90 days stay e-service, succesless at any time. So, I continue going immigration office every 3 months. This country is in development... Not developed. Wathever they try to proudly prove...

I don't think Thailand has ever claimed to be a developed country.  It is a developing country as you say.

Is it so bad to go to the immigration office every months?  I would think it's a good thing to stay visible with the authorities and to establish a rapport with them.  I've found Thai officialdom to be very friendly and helpful.  No, I don't expect the cold efficiency that I get back home where everything is cut and dry.  I don't know about you but I'm beginning  to enjoy the flexibility of the Thai system and how the 'human touch' still carries a great deal of weight in how things get/are done.  OK, the 'Baht touch' helps but we have to pay our way for almost everything in Singapore too; the only difference is that we get a receipt.

I think the problem isn't so much that Thailand is a developing country, I'm sure most visitors and expats realize that. The real problem is that some developments are the exact opposite of progress. Thainess before development. ;)

The TM.6 debacle is a good example. They realized it's crap, but instead of working hard to scrap that obsolete nonsense altogether, they had it redesigned. The new design might actually be worse than the existing one in terms of practicability - I guess we will see soon.

The current immigration card debacle continues to evolve. The PM's office, Immigration Bureau, Airports of Thailand, Transport ministry and the Tourism and Sports ministry are involved in a sort of rule-by-committee effort that is still far from resolution.

This account does make it clear why the card will continue in use--in one form or another--and why such new information as email address and phone number is being collected: security.

f448443fbb0abca7ba3abbca7e8ecb50.jpeg

Foreigners must still fill in ‘TM6’ immigration form for security reasons

August 12, 2017 01:00

By THE NATION

FOREIGNERS travelling to and from Thailand still need to fill in the “TM6” immigration form for security reasons, the Immigration Bureau chief maintained yesterday.

Pol Lt-General Nathathorn Prousoontorn, commander of the agency, said that despite overcrowding at immigration counters, foreign travellers are still required to complete the TM6 arrival and departure card for authorities to collect information on their travel.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered the Royal Thai Air Force to dispatch personnel to help immigration officials.

In a Facebook Live interview with The Nation’s founder Suthichai Yoon yesterday, Nathathorn explained that under Thailand’s policy to promote tourism, authorities allow citizens of more than 60 countries to travel to Thailand without a visa, so Thai authorities do not have their information prior to their arrivals. 

“For Thailand, the form is important as it is the tool for us to get and keep information about foreign visitors when they stay in Thailand,” he said.

The Immigration Bureau is in the process of amending the immigration law to exempt Thais from filling in the TM6 form, because basic information of Thai citizens is available on their passport.

“We already proposed the amendment of the exemption to the agency concerned. But if it cannot be exempted we may shift to require them to fill in electronic forms before travelling,” he said. 

Prayut in July instructed the Immigration Bureau to decide whether to cancel the requirement for visitors to use the TM6 form as part of measures to improve immigration procedures at airports and reduce waiting times. However, starting on October 1, a new immigration form will replace the existing one in line with a Cabinet resolution in January approving a Tourism and Sports Ministry request. 

The new form has only one side for visitors to record both arrival and departure information, with an “automatic channel” barcode for more convenience.

Shortage of manpower

Heavy congestion at Don Mueang International Airport’s immigration checkpoints last weekend prompted an urgent investigation to determine why thousands of visitors were kept waiting for nearly five hours.

Prayut yesterday said he had instructed the Immigration Bureau to open all counters for service. 

In dealing with a shortage of manpower, the PM said he ordered Air Force commander-in-chief ACM Jom Rungsawang to dispatch his officers to help at the immigration counters.

“If all-out efforts by the Immigration Bureau, Airports of Thailand and the Ministry of Transport cannot deal with the congestion, we will find another solution,” he said.

Prayut said there were several reasons why the process was very slow, including limited space at the passenger terminal, which has a capacity for 1,000 to 2,800 people but sometimes has to deal with as many as 4,000 passengers arriving at the same time. “We will have to see if the existing terminal space could be expanded,” the PM said. 

In a related development, national police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda yesterday said he has ordered the Immigration Bureau to set up operation centres at five major international airports – Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Hat Yai – to help with the backlogs of arriving passengers.

He warned that if there was further chaos at any of the airports, those in charge must be held responsible.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30323574