bucknaway

I'm not tipping them!

In all fairness, I think you're missing my point. Even a vigorously defended opinion is not a personal attack. You have a right to your opinion. But, you are not your opinion.  All I read was a firm disagreement. No disparagement of the person was even hinted at.

After all, it boils down to tipping in a manner that conforms to the society and venue that you are in. Yet we have gone on for 8 pages. It's really quite amazing.

After all, it boils down to tipping in a manner that conforms to the society and venue that you are in. Yet we have gone on for 8 pages. It's really quite amazing.

I already told somewhere why - we human race like to talk about other people's money.

Another thing I like to repeat is that while I tip , for me it's just afterthought , not matter for serious consideration.

I only hope that people on tipping side of debate are better than my  friend Henry ( he has nothing to do with this forum, not even gay ) who, wherever we dine together reminds everybody that we should leave a tip but somehow invariably he is one of our crowd  leaving  smallest tip . Years of open joking about that did not loose his purse even tiny bit. I'm pretty sure many of us know the type.

speaking about tips in Thailand, I wonder whether others have  impression that Thais despise getting tips in coins.

Pretty strong word, I know,  but on more than one occasion I was asked whether I have 20 baht banknote instead or when left 20-40 baht under the pillow it was left there uncollected even if on previous day the banknote /s/  left in the same place disappeared.

In bars when coins in the folder are left there as tip that's OK  but when drink paid  exact change plus two 10 baht coins , more than once I noticed slight grimace. 

I wonder if that is some pattern or I just have bad luck although one of our member once told me that he heard in such a case  comment  that coins are for beggars so it may be something.

In regards to tipping, the longer I stated in Thailand the less I tipped unless I received good service.

I recall visiting a massage place and receiving a foot massage from a middleaged lady, it was quite good and I thought I tipped her adeqautely at 100b.

It seems to her it wasnt good enough and she turned her face into a sour look showing the other staff.

After that I decided foot masseurs dont desrve big tips and I tipped 20 baht and still git a thankyou.

One expat told me he only tips the foot masseurs 20 baht and no need to go over.

As for motorbike taxi driver silly me was tipping them in my first few weeks of arrival , only to find the very same ones ( outside my hotel) refused to take me one day wheb I was 10 baht short,after that I just paid the correct fare.

After that I decided foot masseurs don't deserve big tips and I tipped 20 baht and still get a thank you

in general that should be principle of tipping - you gave what you are comfortable with.

that said we should remember  that ' thank you ' not always means recipient is greatfull and happy  , it may be just sign of good upbringing.

Since I tip 20 baht server who just brings me drink in bar I'd be tipping masseur  more than that, after all she worked on my creaky foot for  a while but world is not a fair place, sigh

in general that should be principle of tipping - you gave what you are comfortable with.

I agree,there is none golden rules system regarding tipping policy in Thailand so for me it's very simple if I received outstanding service I tip generously and if I received poor service I do not tip at all but I usually do tip.As advised by others the wages in Thailand aren't high by western standards and many employees struggle for leaving so tipping is highly appreciated. I love Thailnd and I love Thai people sometimes a small tip is received with a big smile so why not tipping ?

20 baht may sound trivial amount  but it buys 2 pieces of meat in skewer , in the heat quite nutritious and filling snack.

In back alleys far from center it may be good part of price of a meal. Or pays for trip to and from work by the bus or train ticket to Ayuthaya so our loose change has meaning to some.

I'm pretty sure this subject has been exhausted.. Seems to be the same thing over and over again.

Bottom Line Tipping is personal in cases other then for Sex at which time it becomes a matter of negotiation.

24 hours and I will lock this thread, unless of course someone comes up with something new!

speaking about tips in Thailand, I wonder whether others have  impression that Thais despise getting tips in coins.

Pretty strong word, I know,  but on more than one occasion I was asked whether I have 20 baht banknote instead or when left 20-40 baht under the pillow it was left there uncollected even if on previous day the banknote /s/  left in the same place disappeared.

Not surprising to be honest, Coins are for beggars or for dead people

Only yesterday my BF had to apologies to the Taxi driver for handing him 55B in beer change to pay the tollway...

You only give your shrapnel to beggars.... or put a coin in the mouth of a dead person 

This is also the same reason why handing a mamasan 5-10B can cause a LOT more resentment than intended

And somehow some bars dont mind giving us change in all coins....

I'm sorry. But, I don't buy this. They make certain there are coins in the folder so that you'll, at least, leave them. They have no problem keeping them no matter how much they might feign disdain.

It's why , even knowing they don't like it I still continue to distribute tips and in fact pay in coins if I have them

One of the doormen at Hot Male ask me if I could give him some beer money on my way out last night. I told him I didn’t have any bills. I has several 1000 bills but nothing smaller. I said all I had was a pocket full of coins. Reached in and showed him. He scooped them up, a big thank you and mad dash to Famly Mart for a beer. Coins are spendable, they will take them.

Same here, although I've never had a problem getting change from a 20 baht note.

but better count your change if you paid with 100 note, last two times I did I got 80 as change so as always , better to be prepared with exact change.

I know it's great disservice to all visitors but in both cases I let them have that 10 baht extra.