paborn

Restaurant updates

One of my favourite restaurants is Yupin’s in the Jomtien Complex,mostly because I enjoy the personal service the owner provides, bringing out your chair etc,a wonderful guy and I guess a smart businessman.

Because of my fetish for good Spaghetti Bolognese I also tried the italian restaurant up on the main road before the Jomtien complex,for the life of me i cant recall the name ,but it has been there years.

Went with a Thai guy who had a car and we drove in and parked around the back.

I would say even it being a “upmarket “ type eatery i didnt enjoy the bolognese,the service and ambiance was great just the food wasnt to my taste.

Ironically for half the price the best Spaghetti bolognese has to be up near Soi 14 on Jomtien Thaipayya rd up near Sansuk Sauna , theres a open air Italian place on the corner been there for years and years

I noticed a massuve increase for some strange reason of italian eateries particularly pizza joints in the Jomtien area, i guess it must be popular ,.

For me, the best restaurant western style in Pattaya is Poseidon on the corner of the Jomtien Complex. I go there several times a week and it's always delicious. Chef Bart from The Netherlands is a nice guy and knows how to cook.

Yes !!!! Wonderful place and wonderful chef !!!!

I enjoy having a Wine outside on the patio with my meal.

I must add that just opp this is a German sausage kiosk with a gorgeous guy serving , and the sausages aint bad either !

Anyone tried the Chinese restaurant on the entrance to the Jomtien complex.?

For me it’s a bit like you off a western boy in a gogo bar full of cute Thai boys after 10 hours flights.

If he's cute and turns you on I can't think of a single reason not to take him off.

By the way, I love Thai food but totally understand that someone else has differing taste. As a great Austrian once said, " let them eat..."

I am not trying to judge other people’s eating habits but every time I read about a great pizza place or burgers or steak house in this forum it really amazes me.

I don’t understand why farang eat western food in Thailand. Thai food is the most delicious food in the world and Bangkok is the centre of great Thai restaurants. It’s quite understandable if you live in Thailand and miss your food you grow up with but if you are on holiday why they eat egg and toast everyday like if you are still in your home country why they don’t try boiled rice soup, kao man gai or somtam ?

For me it’s a bit like you off a western boy in a gogo bar full of cute Thai boys after 10 hours flights.

Thai food in western cities are much more expensive and often ingredients are not genuine.

Perhaps people’s eating habit is much more conservative than sexual preferences.

I agree with your reasoning but can answer for myself since I eat quite a bit of western food there.

Contrary to what one may think I don't eat eggs and toast at home for breakfast so find it at least refreshing , not to say exotic to   start my day with such a breakfast for 1-2 weeks I'm there. I know after 2 weeks I'd be tired.

The same with pizza which I don't eat at all with exception of one at Madrid Tavern , seriously it's only place in the entire world I eat pizza and I stated it on this forum many times before

While I can agree that Thai food is most delicious in the world I find dishes often too spicy , too seafoody and too saucy for my taste so enjoy it only to a degree.

I can eat chicken with cashew nuts daily  but from time to time I like to dilute it with Western food like schnitzel rather than with other local specialties but I snack plenty on the street, pork belly on a skewer being my favorite.

In general I don't pay much attention to food as long as is edible , so yes , it amazes me that some people can discuss varied dishes at length but I understand that this is important to them the same way like say,  leaf  tea is important to me ( my  home is tea bag free 100% of the time )  

I am not trying to judge other people’s eating habits but every time I read about a great pizza place or burgers or steak house in this forum it really amazes me.

I don’t understand why farang eat western food in Thailand. Thai food is the most delicious food in the world and Bangkok is the centre of great Thai restaurants. It’s quite understandable if you live in Thailand and miss your food you grow up with but if you are on holiday why they eat egg and toast everyday like if you are still in your home country why they don’t try boiled rice soup, kao man gai or somtam ?

Thai food in western cities are much more expensive and often ingredients are not genuine.

Perhaps people’s eating habit is much more conservative than sexual preferences.

I 100% agree. I even prefer it to be prepared by a Thai cook. But some hotels (like Poseidon in Jomtien, Dirk's cafe also?) have a European chef making the Thai food. Somehow for me that is a turn off. I want in Thailand Thai food prepared 100% locally (so the ingredients Thai use themselves,  and the maker must be Thai too, only then I feel I am eating real Thai food, else I just don't have that feeling, how irrational it maybe is).

Try and when you see you don't get sick you will not be afraid anymore.

In most cases they prepare only as much as they think they sell so no danger food is spoiled - at end of day uneaten stuff will be eaten by family. Specially on busy streets with lots of passing traffic you are in good hands eating on the street.

We are advised against having intimacies with strangers and see what happens when we arrive in LOS.

Don't listen to scaremongers.

I will give it a try. My main worry is that (and I saw this also last time) they keep the raw meat in the sun, and God knows how long it has been in open air before it is being cooked. They don't keep the raw meat refrigerated.

Also I worry the vegetables are cleaned with tab water which we can not drink at all as farang, we will get ill. I am pretty sure they don't clean it with botled water.

I eat street food. But, you are not being irrational. The biggest issue is washing the dishes in tap water that is not hot.  Start with something like grilled Issan Chicken - the bacteria is only on the outside and it is killed by the grill heat. The problem with meat is any ground meat ( larb? ) that pulls the surface bacteria inside. So, avoid that. Start with the chicken.

I would love to eat street food but having seen how they "wash" the plates in that filthy water (which is probably never changed by the look of it), I only eat in restaurants.

I often go to a street food restaurant in the basement of Silom Complex opposite the supermarket.

I once ordered a soup and it was so spicy it had me in tears.

I went back the next night and ordered it again!

Unfortunately, I don't have a favourite Thai restaurant in Pattaya. I go out for dinner with Nom every night and leave the choice of restaurant up to him. But he never chooses a Thai restaurant. When I'm in town he only wants to eat steak and Japanese food, although last visit he introduced me to Ninja Seafood restaurant and that was awesome.

I'm no gourmet, that's for sure, but I love food. I'm obsessed with it, especially when I travel. I've already chosen some of the restaurants I'll be visiting when I go to Japan next month.

I often go to a street food restaurant in the basement of Silom Complex opposite the supermarket.

I once ordered a soup and it was so spicy it had me in tears.

I went back the next night and ordered it again!

Ros' Niyom is quite popular amongst tourists who want to taste Thai street food but afraid of health risk.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d11676836-Reviews-Ros_Niyom_Silom_Complex-Bangkok.html

I'm having recall block. If you're on Silom, just down from Sala Daeng, on the far side of the road is ( I think ) Central department store. I seem to remember a food court around there. Yes/no?

When my friend and I are in Bangkok, we regularly go to Fork & Cork. I love the Thai food there - the Holy Basil chicken. And it always reminds me of heading out for the night. But it doesn't seem to get much of a mention here. Other favourites are: Mango Tree, Mazzaro and Nalin Kitchen, which are near our regular hotel.

I've actually never been to Madrid tavern! But seems popular on this form. I'm tempted to give it a try next time.

If you want a good meal at good value try Antz in the Jomtien comlex , love their mushroom soup with bread. 95 baht

I also love a good fish and chips which Im finding it harder to get in Pattaya nowadays since Simons closed, tried the Jolly Roger up in Soi Bukhao but since it changed hands it wasnt to my taste.

I think Jomtien especially near the beach needs a good fish and chip restaurant.

Speaking of the Jomtien area , every trip I say I will try Linda’s opp the Complex but never get around to it,I noticed they have expanded into a few shophouses now.

I never did try Bruno’s and have regretted that .

Ros' Niyom is quite popular amongst tourists who want to taste Thai street food but afraid of health risk.https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d11676836-Reviews-Ros_Niyom_Silom_Complex-Bangkok.html

Yes, that's the one.

Paborn, I access Silom Complex directly from upstairs at the Sala Daeng BTS station. Look for Canyon Coffee.

I never did try Bruno’s and have regretted that .

I have eaten dinner at Bruno's twice, admittedly a few years ago, a both times there were very few customers meaning there was no atmosphere.

My two favourites for a special evening are Cafe Des Amis and Au Bon Coin.

The latter my hubby has chosen for his birthday dinner on the 11th November

Yes, that's the one.

Paborn, I access Silom Complex directly from upstairs at the Sala Daeng BTS station. Look for Canyon Coffee.

Thanks! When I google Silom Complex I get a spot all the way down by that Canal - whatever it's name is.

I would love to eat street food but having seen how they "wash" the plates in that filthy water (which is probably never changed by the look of it), I only eat in restaurants.

The water that looks filthy is usually brown because it is - tea!! It is a natural disinfectant which is why it is used.

What about the various food scraps floating in the tea? That's also a turn-off for me.

And I also worry about that may that has been sitting out in the sun for God knows how long.

At the end of the day, it's probably safe. I have actually eaten at the Sunday night food market in Chiang Mai.

But when I'm on holiday the last thing I want is to get food poisoning. It's just not worth the risk.

But when I'm on holiday the last thing I want is to get food poisoning. It's just not worth the risk.

Exactly! Why take the risk? I seldom disagree with Vinapu but when he advised that a poster should try and when they see that they don't get sick...

Sorry, On a two-week vacation I don't want to get sick. When I say that I eat street food it's always something grilled where the bacteria is killed by the heat.

Also I worry the vegetables are cleaned with tab water which we can not drink at all as farang, we will get ill. I am pretty sure they don't clean it with botled water.

I have been drinking tap water everywhere in South-East Asia for years (Bangkok and various other places in Thailand; Vientiane, Luang Phrabang, Saigon, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Yangon, Mandalay, even river water in the mountains in Myanmar and Thailand) and did not get sick.

That leads to a note from my recent (Aug-Sep2018) trip to Myanmar. The small ceramic tea cups are kept open side down in a stainless steel pot on the table. That pot contained some water, maybe 5 mm high. Upon closer inspection, I saw some sediment in that water and two small (about 2 mm long) water beetles swimming around. That can only lead to one conclusion: if the water is safe for the beetles to swim in, it is safe for me to drink (or in this case, get traces of the water from the rim of the cup on my lips).

The vegetables and plates in street restaurants are washed with tap water. I have never seen tea to wash dishes, only tap water with soap, and then tap water without soap.

Upon closer inspection, I saw some sediment in that water and two small (about 2 mm long) water beetles swimming around. That can only lead to one conclusion: if the water is safe for the beetles to swim in, it is safe for me to drink (or in this case, get traces of the water from the rim of the cup on my lips).

I would not be too sure about that. What you're saying might be true if the question is about actually, non-potable - contaminated water. But, the real issue with traveler's upset stomachs and diarrhea is water born flora and fauna that the traveler is unused to. 

Considering sparse vacation time the person is better safe than sorry. 

Thanks! When I google Silom Complex I get a spot all the way down by that Canal - whatever it's name is.

that's the Silom Plaza perhaps , on corner of Silom and Narathiwas.

It's where Arena is so no harm done if you mix up those two  :Complex and Plaza

I have eaten dinner at Bruno's twice, admittedly a few years ago, a both times there were very few customers meaning there was no atmosphere.

My two favourites for a special evening are Cafe Des Amis and Au Bon Coin.

The latter my hubby has chosen for his birthday dinner on the 11th November

These 3 places, where are they please?

Bruno's Restaurant & Wine Bar

Website

Directions

4.4148 Google reviews

Restaurant

Address: 306/63 Chateau Dale Plaza Thappraya Rd, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20150, Thailand

Hours:

Reservations: brunos-pattaya.com

Order: brunos-pattaya.com

Phone: +66 38 119 586

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cafe des Amis

Website

Directions

4.6225 Google reviews

Fine Dining Restaurant

Address: หมู่ที่ 10 391/6 Thanon Thap Phraya, Pattaya City, อำเภอ, Chon Buri 20260, Thailand

Hours:

Phone: +66 84 026 4989

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Au Bon Coin

Website

Directions

4.881 Google reviews

French Restaurant

Address: 352/104 Moo 12, Nongprue, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20260, Thailand

Hours:   Opens 6PM

Phone: +66 38 364 542

https://www.google.com.vn/search?q=drivetime+bangkok+thailand+to+pattaya+thailand&rlz=1C1AOHY_enVN708VN709&oq=drivetime+bangkok+thailand+to+pattaya+thailand&aqs=chrome..69i57.42141j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Brunos keep your eyes open on the left if you are on the baht bus going down the hill from the Pratamnak traffic lights in the direction of Jomtien

Cafe des Amis is next door to Sansuk Sauna

Au Bon Coin, as you are coming from Jomtien turn left at Pratamnak traffic lights and turn left again down Soi 6, quite a way down there is a Family Mart or Seven 11 not sure which on your right, walk down that small soi and the restaurant is on your right - keep your eyes open the restaurant sign is old and faded.

When I have been the last two have been busy I would advise making a reservation