reader

Get used to it

Foreigners are gradually coming to acknowledge that the heyday for their currencies vs the baht is not about to return anytime soon. To what degree this affects individuals readers depends on many factors but all will feel the pinch. Struggling to hold above 30, the dollar is the bell weather exchange rate that captures the trend. 

How individuals choose to adapt will very greatly by circumstance. But all except for the truly financially independent will likely be trying to control those expenses that cannot be avoided (travel, accommodations, food). The good news on the first two is that they’re price elastic, fluctuating depending on supply and demand. And food costs are really a function on where and what we choose to consume.

Not price elastic are entertainment and health care. 

In Bangkok, a typical Patpong ST off will set you back about 3,000 baht with a drink, off fee and tips. And that’s a minimum.

A 1-hour massage and tip ranges between 1500 to 2000 and a 90-minute 1900 to 2500 depending on venue.(these are just averages).

None of these prices are particularly new. We’ve been paying them for a while now. What is new is that we have gradually less with which to cover them when we leave the currency exchange booth.

Personally, it continues to be my intent to spend as much time as I can afford in multiple annual trips to Bkk. I don’t travel to other international destinations unless they’ve in SE Asia. By this stage of my life I’ve seen as much of the rest of the world as I care to. I’m content and comfortable in bkk. But I know that some adjustments will need to be made.

From Bangkok Post

Rate cut will not slow baht appreciation

The Bank of Thailand's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) could cut the policy rate another 25 basis points before year-end, but the move is not expected to rein in the baht's rising strength, says Kasikornbank (KBank).

"Another possible rate cut this year is not anticipated to mitigate the baht appreciation significantly," said Kobsidthi Silpachai, head of capital markets research at KBank.

"The move would alleviate the pressure [for lower interest rates] in an environment where global central banks have been cutting their benchmark interest rates."

The seven-member MPC slashed the policy interest rate by 25 basis points to 1.5% in August, the first cut in more than four years, to boost Thailand's lethargic economic conditions.

The seven-member MPC slashed the policy interest rate by 25 basis points to 1.5% in August, the first cut in more than four years, to boost Thailand's lethargic economic conditions.

The current rate is only 25 basis points higher than the Bank of Thailand's record low of 1.25% during the 2009 global financial crisis.

The MPC will continue adopting a data-dependent approach to deliberate the monetary policy outlook, while the need to preserve policy space to cushion against possible future risks is necessary, according to the latest edited MPC minutes published on Sept 25.

The baht's value is projected to continue appreciating, possibly dropping under 30 per US dollar in the middle of next year, said Mr Kobsidthi.

Factors supporting the outlook are investors' appetite for safe-haven assets, Thailand's current account surplus and a possible upgrade of the country's sovereign credit rating by international credit rating agencies, he said.

"The baht's value could touch 29.70 during the first half of 2020 and continue appreciating to 29.20-29.30 in the second half," said Mr Kobsidthi.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1779294/rate-cut-will-not-slow-baht-appreciation

I agree with the thread title - I realized too that I will have to get used to it and be forced to bite the bullet when the next visa-related bank transfer comes up (ugh). Biting my ass for not having done much more at what now look extremely attractive levels last year. Oh well, some investments make up for it. 

What might come to the rescue at some point though is another political crisis. These seem inevitable here and a matter of when, not if...

I looked at the 5 years graph Bht against USD it is in the range of 30 to 36 ,In 2014 it was about 32 and now about 30 against the USD so  compared to 2014 the Bht raised less than 7% so the strength of the Bht mith seems to me a little bit exaggerated.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dollar+to+baht&oq=dolar+to+b&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.8201j1j7&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

14 hours ago, reader said:

But all except for the truly financially independent will likely be trying to control those expenses that cannot be avoided (travel, accommodations, food). The good news on the first two is that they’re price elastic, fluctuating depending on supply and demand. And food costs are really a function on where and what we choose to consume.

Not price elastic are entertainment and health care. 

In Bangkok, a typical Patpong ST off will set you back about 3,000 baht with a drink, off fee and tips. And that’s a minimum.

A 1-hour massage and tip ranges between 1500 to 2000 and a 90-minute 1900 to 2500 depending on venue.(these are just averages).

.......But I know that some adjustments will need to be made.

thank God we humans are very adaptable to changing circumstances.

Travel expenses can be reduced  by being more diligent looking for better deal, booking early , travelling  mid-week, gnashing teeth in economy class , going for less convenient connections etc.

With abundance of rooms in BKK and Pattaya hotels there always will be good deal on accommodation although we may settle for less luxurious than our  usual options.

When comes to food  as you noticed we have great scope for savings  by  dining in cheaper places and on the street. What we may reduce if necessary is social dining, in my case watching where I'm inviting my offs to have their meals .

Even in entertainment we can  recuse out spending by resorting from time to time to cheaper places ( two massages at Senso or Prince = three of the same length at Bangkok Massage or Arena), replacing LT with ST from time to time or even giving ourselves whoring break every so often. Being loyal to particular guy may give  us scope to look for deal on tip from him.

Keeping  cool head in bar helps too , one drink is enough, if we are offing guy known to us no need to buy him a drink and does mamasan really deserve that 100 baht tip just because she smiles  at us? 

Shortening trip be few days may help and reducing number of annual trips may produce some savings and above everything setting realistic budget and sticking to it my help - worked for me on last trip , first in time  immemorial without trip to ATM.

Flights and accommodation are always the major costs of a Thailand trip. The good news is that hotel prices remain remarkably good value- I've just paid 1600 pn at  the Agate which includes breakfast- while flights booked on-line from LHR to BKK remain good value, particularly if you compare  the cost  of European travel. Restaurants- of all levels from the cheapest to those offering "fine-dining"- are much more affordable than here in the UK.

It's not all bad news!

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Flights and accommodation are always the major costs of a Thailand trip. The good news is that hotel prices remain remarkably good value- I've just paid 1600 pn at  the Agate which includes breakfast- while flights booked on-line from LHR to BKK remain good value, particularly if you compare  the cost  of European travel. Restaurants- of all levels from the cheapest to those offering "fine-dining"- are much more affordable than here in the UK.

It's not all bad news!

Because now it's the low season starting December the cost of the Agate is twice you paid and without breakfast .

There are always ways to alleviate the cost of hotels in the city. You can easily still find good deals on hotels and accommodations. Flights are also reasonable if you plan in advance and keep checking the sites often. I put a Google alert on the flight times I want and it always saves me money.

6 hours ago, vinapu said:

Most of us I guess are free not to travel in high season and not to stay at Agate. There are more economical options

Yes there are always good deals also in high season ,the Agate has crazy rates in the high season this is why I booked a room at the Zing on my upcoming trip on February on very reasonable price.

I must correct Boy69; I paid 1600 in October and I'm paying 1800 in early January. High Season certainly affects prices....but not that much. The same goes for flights.

Anyone staying at the Agate should book direct; unlike other Thai hotels (Tarntawan springs to mind) Agoda et al do not offer the best prices.

55 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I must correct Boy69; I paid 1600 in October and I'm paying 1800 in early January. High Season certainly affects prices....but not that much. The same goes for flights.

Anyone staying at the Agate should book direct; unlike other Thai hotels (Tarntawan springs to mind) Agoda et al do not offer the best prices.

I agree with Londoner in regard to The Agate.

I have booked for a short stay at end of January/early February, I sent them an e mail stating I was a returning customer and what could they offer.

They came back with 1800 baht including breakfast, the booking agencies and there own website were showing much more

Usd and thai might not have big difference since both currency are benefiting from strong currency recently. Thai from their ever increasing tourism industry and us from their trade wars and recent shale oil bloom. UK were double hit by brexit and stronger thai currency. Malaysia also fare worse when the oil price drop, recent gov change, two air plane crash and of course the world famous 1mdb scandal. But yeah, since my country currency was low anyway compared to many of the developed country, ive gotten used to it already. All one need to do is adjust the budget accordingly. 

6 hours ago, traveller123 said:

I agree with Londoner in regard to The Agate.

I have booked for a short stay at end of January/early February, I sent them an e mail stating I was a returning customer and what could they offer.

They came back with 1800 baht including breakfast, the booking agencies and there own website were showing much more

I never stayed at the Agate so no likely they will give me this rate , their website accept booking for October-November only and on booking websites it's above 3000 bht for February so it's not relevant to me ,booked Zing's Supper delux plus room for 1600 Bht not a bad deal at all.

9 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Yes there are always good deals also in high season ,the Agate has crazy rates in the high season this is why I booked a room at the Zing on my upcoming trip on February on very reasonable price.

I can also recommend The Venue in the Complex  for user friendly rates and fairly sizable rooms.

13 hours ago, vinapu said:

I can also recommend The Venue in the Complex  for user friendly rates and fairly sizable rooms.

I guess I am getting older before I was in the room only for sleeping so there was not much purpose to book fancy hotels but now I do less outdoor activities so I do need propper hotels which provides swimming pool and dyning room with breakfast buffet the only options in Jomtien complex is the Zing or the Agate.

Second thing I noticed in my last trip is that looking for boys become less important but relaxing and enjoying tourist attractions is on first priority so decided at my next trips I will spoil my self with better hotels , regarding to boys I became very picky (don't know why...) and will take one only if he's really stunning so I am taking into consideration that not every day will find one and have sex activity it's fine by me because my main purpose in my upcoming trips is to rest from my stressful work and not finding boys.

I guess now when I am fifty years old I become more bourgeois tourist.lol.

Fifty? a youngster by Pattaya- falang standards....and a lot more sanuk lies ahead. The same can't be said of many of us.

I have to agree about hotel rooms. I spend more time in my room than in my younger days (when I was fifty...or sixty) and am fortunate enough to be able to pay. Last year , P and i spent a week in Luang Prabang and the hotel, though not cheap, was a disaster. What a relief it was to arrive at the Agate after the journey from Laos. Everything worked!

By the way, the Agate website is decidedly odd when it comes to reservations. Anyone planning a stay should consider using an email direct. 

4 hours ago, Londoner said:

I have to agree about hotel rooms. I spend more time in my room than in my younger days

I wonder what is first , chicken or egg  since I  noticed more fancy hotel more time I tend to spent in the room basking in luxuries. So going spartan  for me has 2 advantages - saving money and generating more time outdoors.