geodesic

Travel to Brazil?

• Members

Hi everyone

Because I'm now COVID-19 immune (wouldn't wish this horrible disease on my worst enemy), I was hoping to go to Rio and Sao Paulo so as to take advantage of the exceptionally good GBP:fuck ratio. 

I believe the Brazilian government have introduced bans on foreign nationals entering Brazil - is there any indication of when this ban is likely to be lifted?

Also, are the saunas currently open for business? 

• Members

@Latbear4blk I was just going to ask you if you had heard anything. Especially after  @willric18 @_luuizeduardoo or @massengojunior some of my favorite men on instagram. Your talk that your having with yourself I’m having multiple times to both of my brains.  Lmao it probably be worse if I could see the pictures some of my favorite poster post in other forums that allow skin. 

• Members

I do not think that I will be able to travel outside of the USA this year because of covid-19 . I have started using my vacation money for home upgrades. But if things change I will dip into my emergency fund and snag a vacation. I hope that happens before I sell my access vacation time back to my employer.

12 hours ago, geodesic said:

Hi everyone

Because I'm now COVID-19 immune (wouldn't wish this horrible disease on my worst enemy), I was hoping to go to Rio and Sao Paulo so as to take advantage of the exceptionally good GBP:fuck ratio. 

I believe the Brazilian government have introduced bans on foreign nationals entering Brazil - is there any indication of when this ban is likely to be lifted?

Also, are the saunas currently open for business? 

Where are you flying from since all flights to Rio are banned and not happening... 

Its winter there and from reports from friends, Covid is doing a bad job over in Rio...

Good luck with that

• Members
12 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

The saunas are closed.

The ban to foreign visitors ended yesterday (June 21), but was once again extended. Now we are banned until July 5th.

Consider that not only the health situation is right now disastrous, but the political situation is unpredictable.

Also, you cannot be so sure of being immune. There are several cases of people who developed symptoms after a second infection. You should still avoid hot spots, I think, 

Furthermore, you may be perhaps immune, but something else may happen to you. Right now, the hospitals and the whole health network in Brazil are collapsing, you may need medical assistance and not being able to find it.

As I am presenting these arguments to you, I am actually arguing with myself. I am also very tempted to travel. July in DC is just fucking depressing.

I couldn't agree more with all of your points. At first I thought September would be reasonable and I am realizing there is no way. I then start looking toward November and that in my mind is looking less likely. I saw a friend from Rio that lives here in the USA over the weekend and he said a big reason to avoid Brazil in the coming several months is the possibility for major political upheaval. He really felt that was even more of a reason not to go than Covid.He also knows several people that have died in Rio recently from Covid. I have been in a Brazilian hospital on one of my visits there (for three days from a fracture). They are seriously overburdened in non-Covid times. You don't want to be in one these days.

• Members
On 6/23/2020 at 12:24 PM, sydneyboy1 said:

Quite apart from all the issues raised travel insurance is another problem. Insurance policies do not cover Covid 19 and if you had the misfortune of catching the disease and needed hospitalisation you are on your own financially.

Can you clarify? "Travel insurance" is mostly about trip cancellation so, yeah, if you want to cancel because the pandemic or your comfort level is getting worse, no coverage. However, wouldn't health insurance, whether you have such coverage on your own U.S. plan or you bought a specially-bought travel health plan, pay for medical expenses like these.?

• Members

I am returning to Rio on August 18 it is the first flight AA is flying from Miami. I will create my own sauna experience at my apartment.

Regarding travel health insurance, Alliance is covering Covid-19  in its policy.

I had AA miles that have been impossible to use over the past few years, even to upgrade to business. I was able to purchase with miles 3 business class tickets for a total of 240,000 miles + $59.00 for travel August, November, and January. 

23 minutes ago, alwaysrio said:

I am returning to Rio on August 18 it is the first flight AA is flying from Miami. I will create my own sauna experience at my apartment.

Regarding travel health insurance, Alliance is covering Covid-19  in its policy.

I had AA miles that have been impossible to use over the past few years, even to upgrade to business. I was able to purchase with miles 3 business class tickets for a total of 240,000 miles + $59.00 for travel August, November, and January. 

Good luck with that!

• Members
16 hours ago, davet said:

Can you clarify? "Travel insurance" is mostly about trip cancellation so, yeah, if you want to cancel because the pandemic or your comfort level is getting worse, no coverage. However, wouldn't health insurance, whether you have such coverage on your own U.S. plan or you bought a specially-bought travel health plan, pay for medical expenses like these.?

My understanding is that your regular health insurance only covers medical expense within the country you reside, not overseas(there may be special type of insurance for that). And the regular travel insurance do not cover any medical expense for pandemic declared by WHO before you purchase the travel insurance.

• Members
7 hours ago, alwaysrio said:

This false information. Please refrain from posting false information about such a serious situation as global health pandemic.

• I am worried about COVID-19 impacting a trip I have scheduled or plan to schedule. Should I buy an Allianz travel protection plan to cover me in case COVID-19 impacts my trip?

• No. COVID-19 is a known and rapidly-evolving global pandemic that is impacting travel worldwide, with continued spread and impacts expected.  Our travel protection plans do not generally cover losses directly or indirectly related to known, foreseeable, or expected events, epidemics, government prohibitions, warnings, or travel advisories, or fear of travel. As such, we recommend that you do NOT purchase our products to insure you against any such losses.”

The limited cases where emergency medical care or trip cancellation due to COVID will be covered under their standard policies only apply to policies issued BEFORE the pandemic began. Anything purchased after that, you are at great risk of Bring only partially covered or not being covered at all.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/covid-19-faq.htm