reader

Thailand welcomes visitors from 46 countries from Nov 1

5 hours ago, daydreamer said:

Check out this video at 45:50.  This guy had major issues submitting his proof of vaccination using the standard US CDC vaccination card.  So much difficulty, he gave up and hired a Thai agency to submit his paperwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xynAgAN87nY&t=2750s

It will be interesting to know whether the Thai agency succeeded eventually. Maybe it's mentioned in the programme, but I didn't watch more than 6 - 7 minutes of it.

Americans will probably have the hardest time (among developed countries) navigating vaccination requirements for travel, because in the US, vaccination was outsourced to all manner of private parties (including pharmacy chains) each of which maintained its own database. As this guy said in the programme, he was lucky in that Maryland is one of the few states that maintain a State-wide register of vaccination. Trouble is, does a Thai bureaucrat even know what "Maryland" is?  He probably looks up a register of countries and discovers there is no such sovereign country as "Maryland". This guy on the programme assumes that anyone in the world would know that if you're from Maryland, you must be from the US.

This guy is also assuming that just because he is holding a passport of a country, he must surely be a citizen of that country. This is not quite true. Some countries give out passports to non-citizens, so (in defence of Thai authorities) it is not ridicidulous to ask specifically what one's nationality is, as a separate question from passport.

The third thing I noticed is that the guy was waving all sorts of paper certificates. Some countries do not accept paper certificates (due to risk of fake certs) and want digital certs from reliable (preferably national) authorities. Here again, Americans may have hte hardest time due to a lack of a centralised database containing all the needed information.

In India, I heard that fake vaccination certificates are available for only 40 Rupees (about $0.53). On this note, I wonder about Thailand's aspiration to attract Indian tourists as part of its reopening.

6 hours ago, daydreamer said:

This guy had major issues submitting his proof of vaccination using the standard US CDC vaccination card.

Thailand issues the standard international vaccination document similar to what you would receive if you went to South America or parts of Africa and required proof of a Yellow Fever vaccination on your return. This small yellow paper document is issued by the Department of Disease Control and does indeed have full name, passport number, nationality and date of birth in addition to the details of the vaccination dates and doses.

So the lucky Americans would be those vaccinated in Thailand

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

Thailand issues the standard international vaccination document similar to what you would receive if you went to South America or parts of Africa and required proof of a Yellow Fever vaccination on your return. This small yellow paper document is issued by the Department of Disease Control and does indeed have full name, passport number, nationality and date of birth in addition to the details of the vaccination dates and doses.

Here's a sample image of this card which,  as Peter RS says, states nationality, passport number etc:

yellow-fever-vaccination-card-sample.jpg.830de5b72bf4da5da365d79c059a33f0.jpg

Now, here's the CDC covid vaccination card issued by private parties doing vaccination in the US:

covid-vaccination-card-sample-usa.jpg.0c066fda18d9fba6d13afc5eaa4fa9ed.jpg

Is it possible for Americans to go back to their vaccinator and ask for a yellow card certifying Caovid vaccination? Would that work for Thailand immigration?

On top of everything, here is a story from NPR about the availability of fake vaccination cards in New Jersey/New York: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/09/01/1033337445/fake-vaccination-cards-were-sold-to-health-care-workers-on-instagram

One may get real digital certificate without taking vaccination either. All needed is helpful administrator who injects vaccine into garbage can instead one's arm for bribe or thank you only. 

It still will be margin so better they focus on streamlining admission process instead of sinistry nooks and cranies. 

All these rules are only just announced.    I wouldn't want to be arriving on Nov 2, as it's far better to wait a little while for others to "solve" the problems, or for Thai document checkers to adjust expectations to meet what is available.

Obviously whilst waiting, check how others solve problems here, on Asean Now & probably some dedicated Facebook group.  

I dislike Facebook, but have to admit the Thai ASQ group was very useful last year.   The Phuket Sandbox group is also helpful.    There may well be another group for the "quarantine free" arrival.

Finally, if there's a problem specific to your country, e-mail the local embassy.  

• Members
14 hours ago, PeterRS said:

That may be the case if you receive the vaccine in Thailand, however the great majority of Americans trying to enter Thailand are not in Thailand, and they did not receive a yellow card when vaccinated.  The information in the video is indeed correct if you received your vaccine inside the US, no passport number, and no nationality are listed on the white CDC card issued in the US.

I merely posted this information in case it might help someone who is trying to submit paperwork to enter Thailand in the near future. 

On a serious note ...

prior to this pandemic, you can get those yellow cards at most travel clinics in the US. But the issue now here is that most travel clinics in the US have reduced their hours or completely shut their doors for now with this pandemic. Also travel clinics are not usual places where COVID-19 vaccines are being administered here in the US, but the retail pharmacies, clinics or other dedicated vaccination spots are the ones where most vaccines are being administered. 

If you want to buy one from US government publishing office, here is the link:

International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis as Approved by the World Health Organization (Package of 25) | U.S. Government Bookstore (gpo.gov)

5 hours ago, daydreamer said:

I merely posted this information in case it might help someone who is trying to submit paperwork to enter Thailand in the near future. 

I did not in any way mean to suggest that you were incorrect or that the USA does not have its own system. However, as @macaroni21 confirmed, there is a standard international certificate of vaccination accepted by virtually all countries. I just do not understand why it would not be issued within the USA. Although the international certificate is for those travelling overseas and the US document is clearly for internal USA use. I am sure you can also apply for the yellow international one.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:33 AM, z909 said:

TAT refer us to this:   https://www.thailandsha.com/shalists/index?type=2-Hotel%2C+accommodation+and+Homestay&province=&keyword=

Beware there is a small SHA+ tick box.    My presumption is we tick it to be shown SHA+ hotels, rather than merely SHA hotels. 

Nothing useful like SHA+ prices though. 

Today i checked and there are now quite a good list of bangkok hotels with SHA+ status.

Below are those in silom

Screenshot_2021-10-26-19-20-26-975_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.9c46d6ea452587e23fbae97a7d84754e.jpgScreenshot_2021-10-26-19-20-35-873_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.f97647b2e8187e2dbb2e7ab5488d6e60.jpg

38 minutes ago, spoon said:

Today i checked and there are now quite a good list of bangkok hotels with SHA+ status.

Below are those in silom

I'm not sure if we're confined to the room whilst waiting for the tests, but I shall assume the worst until told otherwise..

I stayed in the Quarter Silom earlier in the year, when their rooms were discounted to 500 baht.   It's clean, new, comfortable & with a fancy Android TV.   However, the rooms are very compact and have a very small desk.   Fine for if we're allowed to use the pool, Gym etc, but I would rather a larger room if we're confined to it.

Also, they were trying for ~3000 baht on one of the regular booking sites (ie not a quarantine package).   

I contacted the Amara Hotel on Surawong to inquire if they were participating in he 1-night quarantine. I received a reply, confirming that they are offering rooms in all categories.. The lowest rate for the first night is BHT 6,100. They are partnered with a hospital for testing purposes and noted that turn-around time depends of flight arrival time. If a second night is required, the rate drops to BHT 2,500.

Prices include transport from airport, RT-PCR test, antigens test kit and meals

1 hour ago, reader said:

I contacted the Amara Hotel on Surawong to inquire if they were participating in he 1-night quarantine. I received a reply, confirming that they are offering rooms in all categories.. The lowest rate for the first night is BHT 6,100. They are partnered with a hospital for testing purposes and noted that turn-around time depends of flight arrival time. If a second night is required, the rate drops to BHT 2,500.

Prices include transport from airport, RT-PCR test, antigens test kit and meals

Given that the price for pcr test itself is around 3000 baht, id say its a good deal. 

Also, searching for surawong gives below hotels

IMG_20211026_211050.thumb.jpg.de51dbe159704060509b562bfd83b3c6.jpgIMG_20211026_211035.thumb.jpg.db8ed3eab5736e3de8fc0bf15008429b.jpg

Raya is listed!! 

9 hours ago, reader said:

I contacted the Amara Hotel on Surawong to inquire if they were participating in he 1-night quarantine. I received a reply, confirming that they are offering rooms in all categories.. The lowest rate for the first night is BHT 6,100. They are partnered with a hospital for testing purposes and noted that turn-around time depends of flight arrival time. If a second night is required, the rate drops to BHT 2,500

In principle, I dislike any system where the hotel is organizing a test and if their supplier or the hotel fail to get the result to you in time, their only punishment is to charge you for a second night.     That has the  incentives* the wrong way around ! 

If the hotel organizes the testing and chooses the supplier, they should give you a free second night's accommodation if the test is not supplied on time. 

Then they have the proper set of incentives in place.    So there would be a market for suppliers who have to deliver tests on time, or they get penalties & everything will work better.  For perhaps a very modest cost increase, which I'd happily pay.

Should be no problem with reputable businesses, but disreputable ones might try it on, whilst passing the blame onto the supplier.    Of course, anyone going soon has no time to read reviews for other customers of the hotels for this "One Day Quarantine" system.

The other highly relevant question is what's the cut off timing for charging for a second night ?     Normally we need to check out by 12:00 from hotels.  

[* Guess who's a  Charlie Munger fan?]

From Reuters / MSN

Thailand readies for tourism reboot with reopening test-run

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand held a dry-run on Wednesday for its long-awaited, quarantine-free reopening to vaccinated travellers, as the country rushes to reboot an industry battered by an 18-month hiatus in international tourism.

At Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport, Thailand's main gateway, airport staff and health and immigration officials ran a simulation of the arrival of a plane full of visitors, to test out electronic screening measures.

"All the passengers will get their QR code checked by the Department of Disease Control," said Kittipong Kittikachorn, the airport's general manager.

"It will include all the details about insurance, vaccine certificate, or hotel booking."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/thailand-readies-for-tourism-reboot-with-reopening-test-run/ar-AAQ0Nfn

Today's article on Richard Barrow's site regarding latest information on Thai reopening entrance procedures:

Required Documents:

• A Certificate of Vaccination (fully vaccinated) with an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Those previously infected within 3 months must have received 1 dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Travellers under 12 years of age, travelling with parents or guardians, are exempt from the vaccination requirement.
  • A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued
    no more than 72 hours before travelling (all travellers).
  • A confirmed payment for a 1-night stay at SHA+, AQ, OQ, or AHQ accommodation, and 1 RT-PCR test.
  • An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$50,000.

Applying for a Thailand Pass

(1) Register for a Thailand Pass at https://tp.consular.go.th/ (available from 1 November, 2021). Until then, apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE) at https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/.

(2) Upload the required document (along with the valid visa/re-entry permit, if required), and allow 3-5 working days for the approval process. Wait for the approval of the Vaccine Certification and paid accommodation, including the RT-PCR test.

(3) Confirm the approval, and receive a Thailand Pass QR Code (or COE).

Arrival in Thailand

(4) Present the Thailand Pass QR Code (or COE) to the Health Control to carry out checks, then proceed through the Immigration procedures.
(5) Undergo the RT-PCR COVID-19 test at the reserved accommodation, or the pre-arranged test centre.
(Children aged under 6 years have a saliva test.)
(6) Proceed to the hotel by the pre-arranged airport transfer. (Distance from the airport within 2 hours.)
(7) Download and install the MorChana application at the hotel.

During Your Stay

(8) Wait for the test result within the hotel room.
(9) If testing negative for COVID-19, you will receive an Antigen Test Kit (ATK) for COVID-19 self-testing on Day 6-7.
(10) Get an alert for the self ATK testing on Day 6-7, and to record the result in the MorChana application.
(11) Practice the D-M-H-T-T-A precautions: D – Distancing, M – Mask wearing, H – Handwashing, T – Temperature check, T – Testing for COVID-19, and A – alert application.

When You Are Leaving

(12) Free to go anywhere in Thailand or leave Thailand to other countries. However, travellers are advised to follow the guidelines and measures announced by the respective province/country of their destination.

For more information, please visit: https://www.tatnews.org/thailand-reopening/.

Richard Barrow's Newsletters and bulletins are the most reliable and up to date information. (Usually posted WAY BEFORE anything appears on the Bangkok Post website!).

Last week he corrected info. on a CCSA infographic.

Very soon he will be coming back to Thailand (only a week or so away) and will recount his airport experiences.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:41 PM, PeterRS said:

Although the international certificate is for those travelling overseas and the US document is clearly for internal USA use. I am sure you can also apply for the yellow international one.

I have scheduled my booster shot and will take the international certificate with me for the hospital to record all three shots (they did my previous two). The idea is to have both the international vaccine card and the US one. Hopefully this works - will report back.  

11 hours ago, CurtisD said:

I have scheduled my booster shot and will take the international certificate with me for the hospital to record all three shots (they did my previous two). The idea is to have both the international vaccine card and the US one. Hopefully this works - will report back.  

Don't forget to have your passport in hand too. They need to add the passport number onto the yellow card.