reader

Quit Your Job And Move here

From Pattaya Mail

According to Forbes, a leading financial and business magazine, which has written an article on the topic “Quit Your Job And Move Abroad: 10 Cheapest Places To Live,” Thailand ranks 9 — and it is the only place in Asia that made it into the top 10.

There is an interesting passage introducing Thailand: “There is no doubt that the allure of Thailand begins with its sun drenched, warm climate and appeals to those who have a keen sense of adventure and an eye for natural and cultural beauty.”

On the topic “Where to Move,” it says, “Its diverse natural beauty means that expats are spread from islands surrounded by emerald waters, the high-rise metropolis of Bangkok or the rice fields and laidback lifestyle of Northern Thailand.”

And as for the cost, “Thailand is affordable, especially when it comes to real estate.”

1st place – Portugal;
2nd place – Mexico;
3rd place – Panama;
4th place – Ecuador;
5th place – Costa Rica;
6th place – Spain;
7th place – Greece;
8th place – France;
9th place – tie between Italy and Thailand.

The original Forbes article can be viewed at

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2023/01/02/quit-your-job-and-move-abroad-10-cheapest-places-to-live-in-the-world

IMO, the article does not provide practical advice.  One has to be extraordinarily adventurous to move very long distances to a country an individual is likely not to understand the culture or language.  Also, many countries - probably most - have visa income tests many people cannot meet, particularly if they are unemployed.

I think Forbes circulâtes mainly in North America hence the high ranking of Latin America.

if the survey had been conducted in Europe, Spain, Greece and France would have ranked  higher.

Probably Portugal is top due to them not applying restrictions on length of stay (90 days) should you not have resident status. This rule imposed by the Shengan zone countries has become a big problem for UK expats making their home in France and Spain.

• Members
2 hours ago, vinapu said:

seeing France as more affordable than Thailand , itself tied with Italy I have some doubts about methodology used to put it mildly.

But I'm not moving anywhere other than cemetery so it's academic for me anyways

I believe the countryside or small towns in France and Italy are quite affordable, comparable to Thailand, but if you are older and after young hot guys, you would be very lonely.

9 hours ago, reader said:

Didn't know that. What's the attraction--besides the guys? Climate, cost of living or just being around like-minded folks?

It is a young, vibrant kind of place, which I was really struck by when I was there last April. After a week in BKK, I spent a week in Chiang Mai surprisingly I saw many more white faces there than i did in BKK. There is clearly a very large nomadic population there. I can see why - it is cheaper than BKK, the internet seems to be stable and fast (pretty much everywhere), loads going on, cheap eats and cafes a plenty, nightlife is varied and good - live music, high end cocktail bars and more middle of the road drinking holes. The contemporary art scene is also really good. Basically, all the things you tend to get in a university town.  

I like Chiang Mai a lot. Of course the university also provides a ready supply of good looking, educated students to meet. 

6 hours ago, 12is12 said:

This has nothing to do with guys.

2 hours ago, Milk78 said:

Of course the university also provides a ready supply of good looking, educated students to meet. 

2 hours ago, 12is12 said:

And these students are gay or day for pay or mb ?

Maybe it has a little bit to do with the guys. 😉

2 hours ago, 12is12 said:

And these students are gay or day for pay or mb ?

There were a few mb, but in my experience, on the apps mainly just gay guys looking for some fun. The gay "scene" as it were is pretty small. There are a couple of bars and I did visit a go go place a few years ago (not sure if it is even still there) but it is not that kind of place in general.