flashbarryallen

Any good Jupiter experiences?

I was in Rome Club on my first visit on 1998 I think, I don't know when it was permanently closed however it already showed signs of decline, nevertheless it was a great fun good music, vibrant atmosphere, interesting shows and colorful mixed crowd.

I have a weakness for historical reviews of the scene and so thanks PeterRS.  I still have Michael Notcutt's "Thai Scene", my gay Lonely Planet on my first visit in the mid-nineties. And yes, the Rome story is well-covered there.

Xtreme was also an interesting venue. It deserved better audiences/clients because the dance group worked so damn hard. I compared it with the less-talented but more popular Throb in Pattaya; the latter had a lot of humour while Xtreme's choreography was rather too intricate for me.  I regretted its passing nevertheless.

Boy69's mention of Rome in 1998 interests me....I thought it had closed by then. I'm sure it wasn't there on my first visit to Soi4 in  the summer of '97. But memory plays tricks....

Continuing the theme of gay bars and venues in Bangkok of old, although not on topic I think the Moderator will not mind this being posted here.

The name Professor Peter Jackson will be known to some as a result of the books he has written about Queer Asia. He is Emeritus Professor of Thai History and Cultural Studies at the Australian National University's College of Asia and the Pacific's School of Culture, History and Language (I wonder how he gets all that on to a business card 😵)! He is also a member of the Hong Kong-based editorial collective of the HK University Press' Queer Asia series of monographs. The histories of Buddhism, gender, sexuality and globalisation in Thailand have been his primary research. His recent books include Queer Bangkok and The Language of Sex and Sexuality in Thailand. He has frequently made the point that rather than being "traditional", the country's queer communities only came into being in the latter decades of the 20th century.  

One of the posts on the sawatdee nation thread on the Gay History of Thailand has a link to a long academic paper he wrote for the Journal of Gay and Lesbian Studies in 1999. This is titled An American Death in Thailand and subtitled The Murder of Daniel Berrigan and the Hybrid Origins of Gay Identity in 1960s Thailand. The post was made by RonantheBarbarian on August 17 2011. As he introduces the paper, he writes - 

"One of the best known gay westerners in Bangkok in the post-World War II years was Darrell Berrigan. He was one of the founders of the 'Bangkok World' newspaper in 1945, which was up until the 1980s the main competitor of the Bangkok Post. He was quite closeted seemingly, it is only known that he was gay because he was rather sensationally murdered in 1965, by a male sexual partner, and this became something of a celebrity scandal in the press.

"The article can be hard reading, because as with all academic articles Jackson has to spend the firsts few pages spouting theoretical jargon. I would suggest you read from the paragraph entitled 'Expatriate Homosexual men in Postwar Bangkok' From that point on it is fascinating. In the article, as well as giving a lot of information about Berrigan's life and times (he was involved with the CIA, American espionage, etc.), Jackson also talks about Jim Thompson. Thompson was almost certainly also gay, although some who have written about him, such as William Warren, have made an attempt to make him out as straight. However Jackson does not accept that argument at all and according to him, we can take it one of the most celebrated farangs of mid-twentieth century Bangkok was gay."

I entirely agree that the first pages should be skipped (unfortunately there are no page numbers but each section is headed in large type and so it is not difficult to find Expatriate Homosexual Men in Post-War Bangkok.) The name Daniel Berrigan may not be known to many now but he became something of a cause celebre as a result of his murder. The history surrounding that event is fascinating. At a time when the new government-to-be (hopefully!) is talking about gay marriage, in the mid-1960s the Thai language media was almost vicious in its declared loathing of homosexuality. The Thai Rath newwspaper referred to Berrigan's "sexual degeneracy"; Siam Nikorn described Berrigan as "having the illness of sexual degeneracy".  Indeed the word "gay" had never been used in Thailand until around that time. Kathoeys were accepted. A man with a desire to have sex with another man was not! Berrigan himself had adopted two young men who lived with him. But they were referred to as his sons. Even so, one Thai newspaper claimed it was common knowledge that Berrigan had forcibly assaulted him sexually not once but twice.

Jim Thomson features in Berrogan's story. It was always assumed that, like his friend Berrigan, Thomson was gay, although his official biographer threw in suggestions of romantic affais with women. On his last visit to Bangkok in 1959, Somerset Maugham was invited to dinner at Jim Thomson's house. Berrigan was also a guest. The author William Warren, who was to write one of the first books on Jim Thomson's later mysterious disappearance The Unsolved Mystery, described ". . . Thompson, and we might add their mutual acquaintance Berrigan, as resembling characters from a Maugham tale, 'lone—but never lonely—men who find contentment in exotic places': often homosexual men attempting to escape homophobic attitudes and laws back home or on a romantic quest for foreign partners."

When Berigan's murderer was arrested, Thai Rath had a banner headline stating the murderer "Confesses He Shot Berrigan While 'Making Love.'" All the while the English language media were far more reserved in their reporting.

Other interesting issues Jackson raises is describing how in the early 1950s the police and the army formed two opposing politicoeconomic cliques.

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/12116

7 hours ago, Londoner said:

I have a weakness for historical reviews of the scene and so thanks PeterRS.  I still have Michael Notcutt's "Thai Scene", my gay Lonely Planet on my first visit in the mid-nineties. And yes, the Rome story is well-covered there.

Xtreme was also an interesting venue. It deserved better audiences/clients because the dance group worked so damn hard. I compared it with the less-talented but more popular Throb in Pattaya; the latter had a lot of humour while Xtreme's choreography was rather too intricate for me.  I regretted its passing nevertheless.

Boy69's mention of Rome in 1998 interests me....I thought it had closed by then. I'm sure it wasn't there on my first visit to Soi4 in  the summer of '97. But memory plays tricks....

Yes it was on December 1998 Rome Club was still open on my second visit one year later I think it was already closed and the best go go bar was The Boys Bangkok at Soi Twilight the fuck shows there was the best I ever saw and many cute boys worked there plenty to choose from for every taste,  Throb was a such entertaining gogo bar IMO the best one in Pattaya even better than BBB the boys working there were mostly young twinks 18 to 24 y.o. the shows were tastefully done.  I have plenty of good memories from my first visits in Thailand, Sadly nowadays it's a shadow to what it used to be 20 years ago.

Going back to the initial theme of this post, I have enjoyed many fantastic experiences with boys from Jupiter over the years and hope to meet one from my last holiday several times on my next escape. 

Your best bet if you want to engage with their boys is ignore where the mamasan tries to place you, head over to the opposite end to the entrance, so near LHS of the stage, get a seat there at the edge, which is where the boys chill between their appearances and much easier to engage and progress! 

1 hour ago, jason1975 said:

It's also possible to go early and talk to mamasans. They are helpful and will be able to call the guys over to sit with you and you can find if there's chemistry before you decide to off them or not.

but that may turn costly proposal if we go over 2 or 3 guys before finding treasure, It's why I always advocate to engage guy who is smiling at us, at least there's chance , even if fake that he is interested. Unfortunately at Jupiter with their management  mandated disinterested look  it's hard to get that smile although that seems to be changing.

another trick is to tip boy we are interested in during their walkabout, preferably first one. And then see if during second walk he will smile at us or not. That's how eliminated two I had hots for  - not a trace of grimace so thank you . On another had boy I offed  last trip as recently reported sported wide grin on second walk so he was sold even if at end of day turned kind of yes ( clingy , enthusiastic, well built ) and no ( rushy and bit greedy).

14 hours ago, vinapu said:

another trick is to tip boy we are interested in during their walkabout, preferably first one. And then see if during second walk he will smile at us or not. That's how eliminated two I had hots for  - not a trace of grimace so thank you . On another had boy I offed  last trip as recently reported sported wide grin on second walk so he was sold even if at end of day turned kind of yes ( clingy , enthusiastic, well built ) and no ( rushy and bit greedy).

I do believe management has instructed the guys not to smile too much even when customer tips them during first and second runway walk so as to maintain Jupiter cool image for the majority of the customers who are there to watch the shows. But third runway walk they can express themselves after the bar is left with customers looking for offs.

3 hours ago, jason1975 said:

I do believe management has instructed the guys not to smile too much even when customer tips them during first and second runway walk so as to maintain Jupiter cool image for the majority of the customers who are there to watch the shows. But third runway walk they can express themselves after the bar is left with customers looking for offs.

you hit the nail , and it's why they show numbers only on 3rd walkabout and congregate near exit. It seems to work as everybody who trades on the market knows that best hours are first and last one

34 minutes ago, jason1975 said:

I found out that there are some Jupiter guys who have a special arrangement with the bar. They can go to work any day or anytime they want.

I suspect it may be a case with certain boys in  other bars and massage places as well

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

I suspect it may be a case with certain boys in  other bars and massage places as well

Yes, these are the very popular guys who have regular customers whom they meet directly on their own. Or maybe they have sugardaddies who provide for them and they work at bar just for fun.

Yes, these are the very popular guys who have regular customers whom they meet directly on their own. Or maybe they have sugardaddies who provide for them and they work at bar just for fun.

one of Jupiter guys I offed in January told me he comes only if he needs the money, I did not see him in my two visits in May recently 

2 hours ago, Blackbeluga said:

In my experience, the good boy experience is one of three times.

I think I won’t enter that store again.

it be nice if you tell us what went wrong, no need to use nicks, numbers  or names.

I'm not playing role of  defender of Jupiter having had my share of disappointments from there although last few offs were good to very good.

Sometimes disappointment comes from lack of communications rather that bad will or behavior. I.e.  manly , top looking guy turns to be bottom, disappointment for other bottom who took him based by look only. Or guy doesn't kiss but we did not ask him if he does. I lose appetite seeing guy clean shaven  there, no way of assessing other than asking or actually doing discreet survey etc

1 hour ago, jason1975 said:

I would say the main complaint would be the guys wanting to get ST over quickly

yes, that's the sore point although in January  I had guy from there who outright declined LT but said immediately I will stay till 3 am and he kept his word

11 hours ago, vinapu said:

Or guy doesn't kiss but we did not ask him if he does. I lose appetite seeing guy clean shaven  there, no way of assessing other than asking or actually doing discreet survey etc

Yes, we only find out when we are back in room. I met Jupiter guy last year. He was clean shaven. Then met him again this year and he had grown back his bush. When I commented on that, he said he was surprised I remembered!

7 hours ago, jason1975 said:

Yes, we only find out when we are back in room. I met Jupiter guy last year. He was clean shaven. Then met him again this year and he had grown back his bush. When I commented on that, he said he was surprised I remembered!

I can assure you it was not me who told him that clean shaving is girly thing  but in fact I did tell few other guys

40 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I can assure you it was not me who told him that clean shaving is girly thing  but in fact I did tell few other guys

Clean shaving is a trend of the younger generation they feel its more esthetic and hygienic and don't see it as a girly thing at all. 

44 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

Clean shaving is a trend of the younger generation they feel its more esthetic and hygienic and don't see it as a girly thing at all. 

I get it but I still don't like it (trim is OK) and not shy to tell them that. Up to boys.  Fortunately for their business, like kissing , it's not condition for me to off them