reader

China’s outbound travel surges ahead of ‘Golden Week’

From CNBC

Outbound travel from China is surging ahead of the first “Golden Week” holiday period since the country has allowed international travel to resume and even as China’s economic growth has slowed.

Bookings for popular foreign destinations such as Singapore, Australia and Thailand have increased 20 times compared to the same holiday period last year, travel provider Trip.com said in a press release Monday. Golden Week, which begins Oct. 1 this year, marks the annual weeklong period that includes the Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day in China.

More than in previous years, travelers are seeking out “unique and immersive experiences,” Trip.com CEO Jane Sun said in the press release. Data shows an increase in purchases of private group tours as well as bookings for less-popular destination such as Sri Lanka and Uzbekistan, the travel provider said.

“We’ve observed a significant shift towards high-quality services and in-depth travel encounters,” Sun said in the release. “Travelers are not just exploring popular destinations but also seeking authentic and off-the-beaten-path experiences.”

===========================

image.thumb.png.c3ea0bd4c5b8449a16166e34b506729e.png

Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin embraces Chinese tourists at Suvarnabhumi International Airport on Sept. 25, 2023.
Sakchai Lalit—AP

One of the reasons trash becomes a problem in tourist areas in Bangkok is the lack of bins to dispose of it. Walk Silom or Surawong looking for a place to toss your trash and you you'll be hard pressed to find an receptacle. At least most 7-11's have a trash can outside the door but that's not the practice with most stores and vendors.

In the evening it's common to find ever growing piles of loose and bagged rubbish appearing on the sidewalks, acting as temporary feeding stations for animals until the collectors arrive after midnight.

13 hours ago, reader said:

In the evening it's common to find ever growing piles of loose and bagged rubbish appearing on the sidewalks, acting as temporary feeding stations for animals until the collectors arrive after midnight.

sometimes outright unpleasant on narrow side streets like sala Daeng, piles  there attracts so many rats that it may be hard not to step on one.  Better cross the street.

But it's not tourist generated trash

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

sometimes outright unpleasant on narrow side streets like sala Daeng, piles  there attracts so many rats that it may be hard not to step on one.  Better cross the street.

Walk along Saladaeng or most other streets during the huge monsoon rain storms recently and you are likely  to see a colony of rats. Apparently their homes in the water run off pipes/sewers also become flooded!

• Members
16 hours ago, reader said:

One of the reasons trash becomes a problem in tourist areas in Bangkok is the lack of bins to dispose of it. Walk Silom or Surawong looking for a place to toss your trash and you you'll be hard pressed to find an receptacle. At least most 7-11's have a trash can outside the door but that's not the practice with most stores and vendors.

It's a freedom to be able to throw your trash anywhere you like.

3 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Chinese owned buses, stay at Chinese owned hotels

3 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Almost nothing to local economy

"Chinese owned" companies pay the same taxes in Thailand as taxes paid by Thai owned companies, so it is the same and ownership doesn't matter.

"Chinese owned" companies hire only Thai people because only Thai may work in tourism by law. So ownership doesn't matter for labor market as well.

4 hours ago, Boy69 said:

The contribution of Chinese organized groups are questionable they come with fix price pre paid tour packages on a very tight budget ,spend at the local businesses almost nothing and stay short time in Thailand. 

Wrong. 

Chinese spend more than average tourist:

The average Chinese tourist spends 6,400 baht (US$180) per day—more than the average visitor's 5,690 baht (US$160)

4 minutes ago, thaiophilus said:

If a Chinese tourist in China pays Chinese money in advance to a Chinese company for a package tour staying in Chinese-owned hotels, how much of that money goes into Thai taxes?

"If". This "if" is pure speculation.

According to TAT and other sources Chinese brings to Thai economic more than any other nation.

image.thumb.png.e84ed42f96ab257e20bcc5fff968b041.png

5 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

If a Chinese tourist in China pays Chinese money in advance to a Chinese company for a package tour staying in Chinese-owned hotels, how much of that money goes into Thai taxes?

4 hours ago, Moses said:

"If". This "if" is pure speculation.

not entirely speculation.

last year in Mexico I was witness of discussion between American tourists who joined tour I joined too. I and some Americans bought it locally for about 60 $, other Americans bought  it before they left through their travel office back in States and they paid almost  twice. So  half of their tour  money never left USA presumably.  

From my travels I  know that by no means this is unique situation, opposite,  it's how it works. It's why guides are full of advices ' buy this or that tour / trek  locally , do not prepay" .

Chinese may be stingy in  bars, massages  or restaurants but since they like to show off,  they may be shopping more hence,  higher spending.

20 minutes ago, vinapu said:

last year in Mexico I was witness of discussion between American tourists who joined tour I joined too. I and some Americans bought it locally for about 60 $, other Americans bought  it before they left through their travel office back in States and they paid almost  twice. So  half of their tour  money never left USA presumably.  

From my travels I  know that by no means this is unique situation, opposite,  it's how it works. It's why guides are full of advices ' buy this or that tour / trek  locally , do not prepay" .

Chinese may be stingy in  bars, massages  or restaurants but since they like to show off,  they may be shopping more hence,  higher spending.

It wasn't speculation before COVID.

Back in 2016, if you can believe The ASEAN Post,  "the Thai government decided to stamp out zero-dollar tourism, estimating losses of US$2 billion each year in tax revenue. Three companies were shut down, 2,155 buses were seized and several people were arrested for money laundering and operating illegal low-quality tours."

If you want speculation about the future, the Bangkok Post has an explainer with a 2023 dateline.

• Members
1 hour ago, vinapu said:

I am sure tgat is the case in Mexico, but most people just go online (usually Tripadvisor etc) and buy tours, unless you are already in Mexico and talking to someone there in person. Same for Rome, Paris, London...etc.  If you book tours locally through the hotel you stay, it will cost you more than the online farang price.

10 hours ago, Moses said:

"Chinese owned" companies pay the same taxes in Thailand as taxes paid by Thai owned companies, so it is the same and ownership doesn't matter.

"Chinese owned" companies hire only Thai people because only Thai may work in tourism by law. So ownership doesn't matter for labor market as well.

Ok. Thanks for info. In Cambodia the locals complain a lot about the Chinese tourists, as I said. Mind you, China practically owns Cambodia these days, look at Sihanoukville. 

25 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

In Cambodia the locals complain a lot about the Chinese tourists, ....

after visiting few years ago Bang Melea temple in early morning with me and two Chinese loads of buses present , I'm not surprised. Good that temple was already ruined, otherwise would not likely survive that attack. I'm not saying it was representative of how Chinese behave, far from it  but still what I saw was bordering on scary. At least after giving up on ruins they were buying trinkets  at local market.