moistmango

Thailand in the low season (trip report)

• Members

For sex massage, I only go to the massage parlors where the minimum tip amount is clearly spelled out.  I don't want to guess how much to tip.  I am always upfront with the manasun/manager what I want, so there is no misunderstanding that sex ( a hard cock) from the massuer is requested and expected.

13 hours ago, scott456 said:

Don't you wish you were there?

I do, specially that I know jason1975 and fun is guaranteed but can't find airfare within my price range, checking every day though and hope to pull the same stunt I did in May when I booked trip on Thursday and was sitting in the plane already on Sunday

13 hours ago, scott456 said:

I only go to the massage parlors where the minimum tip amount is clearly spelled out. 

I made my life easy and adhere to simple system, 1hr, 1000 tip, 1.5 hr , 1500 tip. If minimum tip is lower than that I still pay according to my scale.

If its higher then if I decide to go ahead , of course I pay whatever that tip is. If I like service , boy or both I like to force 200-500 extra on them , specially if I suspect I'd be looking for another visit.

The same system in both BKK and Pattaya.

14 hours ago, PeterRS said:

in the USA where I had found myself caught out by the level of tips expected in restaurants and even by the hotels' room maids.

I too wish that in USA they would pay better wages to their service providers so they don't relay on tips to that extend but now we need to go withy the program I guess.

Never had anything drastic there but remember I was shocked  in some place in Times Square NY when waiter mentioned that tip is not included in price before he even asked what we would like to order. Our party credited it to a fact that in that place must be many tourists who have no idea about tipping level and etiquette so waiter wanted to be proactive.

In any place when I hear people complaining about tips I universally dispense advise that  is easy to eat in the food court or take bus instead of taxi to avoid such tipping stress. 

19 hours ago, floridarob said:

I've heard that....but then I've read some of the tussles you and peter have gotten into 😉

Peter and I both appreciate the finer points of debate and share many common interests.

As I've aged my concept of what defines a good massage, a good off has evolved quite a lot. Frequently I find that the shared meal before or after is just as meaningful as the main event.

24 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I too wish that in USA they would pay better wages to their service providers so they don't relay on tips to that extend but now we need to go withy the program I guess.

Wages paid to employees who depend upon tips in the US is a hodgepodge of laws that varies from state to state. Some southern states set the minimum wage peg below $3.00 per hour as a glance at the attached link shows.

https://www.minimum-wage.org/tipped

Fast food workers have long been underpaid but I recently read that legislation in California has established a $20.00 per hour floor.

I regret that the discussion has migrated away from the OP's entertaining trip report and appreciate his indulgence. The topic deserves a separate thread.

• Members
5 hours ago, vinapu said:

in some place in Times Square NY when waiter mentioned that tip is not included in price before he even asked what we would like to order. Our party credited it to a fact that in that place must be many tourists who have no idea about tipping level and etiquette so waiter wanted to be proactive.

I encountered this situation in Mexico multiple times.  Mexicans proactively asked for tips upfront when they sense you are an American. Some of them even count the tips in front of you and give you a look (content or discontent look).  But I have seen many times that Mexicans themselves didn't tip.  I guess Americans are guilty for being Americans.

• Members
5 hours ago, vinapu said:

In any place when I hear people complaining about tips I universally dispense advise that  is easy to eat in the food court or take bus instead of taxi to avoid such tipping stress. 

Exactly,  this is why I only get take out or go to food courts in America when I am by myself.  Uber used to pride itself for no tipping required, but now actively solicit tips on its apps.

Nice gesture from Tao this figure

(although not so according to what Department of A says above )

but at end of day as no-show I wouldn't be happy. In such cases I wouldn't be in rush to meet him again although I'm believer in giving second chances but not right away, no.

Contrary to conventional wisdom I have rather good record with  guys punctuality and learned if they are late there's overwhelming chance they don't show up at all or if they show they will be rushing things. 

Thank you for great report and glad to her your last off was memorable and trouble free.

Moistmango.

Thank you for your trip report,I really enjoyed reading it, it was good to have one done in nearly "real time".

Good trip reports are at the heart of the board and really draw people in. Having done a few myself, I know how long they can take to write. And you are a naturally gifted writer too, which make sit all the more pleasurable.

On 10/1/2023 at 11:32 PM, PeterRS said:

I agreee totally with @macaroni21! On my very first visit to Tokyo several decades ago, I stayed in the huge Keio Plaza Hotel in west Shinjuku. I had come from 10 days in several cities in the USA where I had found myself caught out by the level of tips expected in restaurants and even by the hotels' room maids. Being European and used to 10% service charges or tips around that level automatically added to bills, the looks I'd been getting unless I added at least another 5% were extremely offputting. In one case even aggressive. By 15 or so years ago, many waiters would not move from your table if the tip was less than 20%.

I was immediately charmed by the politeness and civility of the Japanese receptionist as well as the cuteness of the bellboy who took me and my luggage up to my room. Like @macaroni21's friend, I offered a ¥100 coin as a small tip (then around 40 US cents). He drew back from me, clearly offended that I had offered him anything. It was only then I realised that tipping in Japan is a no-no. 

I fully understand that there is a problem in Thailand where prostitution is illegal - no matter how widespread it is. Most of us are well aware that a tip is in fact a fee, but we go along with the charade. I did find it more pleasant in the 1980s and 1990s when tips were " up to you." And I think i was a good tipper, especially when the assignation was particularly pleasureable (as almost all were)! Only once in so many dozens and dozens of offs did any boy ask for more - and he was from Screwboys about 20 years ago.

I had the same experience on my first visit, many years ago. I was staying at the Okura, then the grande dame of Tokyo hotels. Clients were more generous in those days! It was a hike to my room, so I thought I should be generous, but, as mentioned, the porter refused! Mind you I did have Kobe steak in the restaurant, amazing, could cut it with a fork!