macaroni21

Shameless Mack in Brazil

• Members
52 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

For those of us with home bases in East Asia, Southeast Asia or Australasia, South America is a pain to get to. Hardly any wonder that the last time I was in Brazil was 15 years ago if not more (so long ago, I can't even be sure).

This year, I had reason to be in Europe for a month, mostly for family reasons, including attending a heterosexual wedding. Partly to recover from the trauma of that, but also because Brazil is more accesible from Europe, I decided to add four weeks there before flying all the way home. 

Beginning with this post Virgin Mary and the money pouch, there will be reports over the next few weeks about my time there. In case you're wondering, my habit is to post reports on my own blog because I prefer to write long form, and it takes the better part of a day to draft a post - not something compatible with a discussion forum.

Contributors to the Brazil threads on this site have been an immensely helpful resource - thank you very much - and I hope my reports are interesting in their own way.

I just read your posts. Indeed, there are posters inciting to paranoia! 

On the question of security and/or fear-mongering, I don't want to come across as saying there's nothing to worry about. Below, for example, is a picture of an entrance to a condominium, albeit one in a good-class district. Notice the cage-like double gates. There are few cities in the world that will go this far. And this was only one of several condominiums with such a feature.

To me, it shows that the problem of security is a real one; not to be laughed off. The locals do seem to know a thing or two. Maybe I was just lucky that I did not experience any incidents. But it is one thing to take precautions, it's quite another to be paralysed by fear.

saopaulo_doublegates_3702.jpg

4 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

Some of them are providing good advice. Some are also fear mongering. The concerns around security/lack of security in Latam are closely tight to classist and political manipulation.

let's not go too far in throwing ideas. As we see above concerns are warranted. Yes , it may be argued and no doubt with success,  that people hiding behind those gates shown above are exaggerating  threats they may face. In fact I'm pretty sure they do but still such voluntary imprisoning  tells something.

No doubt there is classist component in building such gates and shows contempt for fellow citizens , another feature of Latam political picture.

Macaroni is right that we should take precautions but not be paralyzed by fear but truth is , it's often locals themselves who install such fears in us tourists with all those warnings'don't go there ", ' close car windows on intersection' or 'don't use your phone on the street" .

Truth is , even without warnings casual tourist seeing such gates or villas hidden behind walls 3 m tall with barbed wire atop ( I saw those in Lima ,Peru and truly feel sorry for their occupants, what kind of life is that ? I wondered  ) will think there's something not right with society here.

• Members
3 hours ago, vinapu said:

let's not go too far in throwing ideas. As we see above concerns are warranted. Yes , it may be argued and no doubt with success,  that people hiding behind those gates shown above are exaggerating  threats they may face. In fact I'm pretty sure they do but still such voluntary imprisoning  tells something.

No doubt there is classist component in building such gates and shows contempt for fellow citizens , another feature of Latam political picture.

Macaroni is right that we should take precautions but not be paralyzed by fear but truth is , it's often locals themselves who install such fears in us tourists with all those warnings'don't go there ", ' close car windows on intersection' or 'don't use your phone on the street" .

Truth is , even without warnings casual tourist seeing such gates or villas hidden behind walls 3 m tall with barbed wire atop ( I saw those in Lima ,Peru and truly feel sorry for their occupants, what kind of life is that ? I wondered  ) will think there's something not right with society here.

No one argues about the need to take precautions in any major cities around the globe, specially in Latam considering the higher rates of crime. 

9 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

To me, it shows that the problem of security is a real one; not to be laughed off. The locals do seem to know a thing or two. Maybe I was just lucky that I did not experience any incidents. But it is one thing to take precautions, it's quite another to be paralysed by fear.

saopaulo_doublegates_3702.jpg

What we see in the photograph is not atypical in Mexico, where I've spent a lot of time.  The building pictured could be a residence / condo or apartment building spanning multiple socioeconomic levels.  Locals take security precautions because there's almost certainly been instances of home robberies or physical assault.  It's commonplace in many countries to see barred outer doors, barred windows ... even in some neighborhoods in the USA.  What about the broken glass bottles that are sticking out of cement at the top of property or balcony walls?  They're commonplace in many countries.  For someone to suggest or insinuate taking security measures is classist is accurate ... and that concern transcends classes.  Not to understand this illustrates a lack of travel experience and a lack of knowledge of the destinations and peoples being discussed.

• Members
1 hour ago, Mavica said:

What we see in the photograph is not atypical in Mexico, where I've spent a lot of time.  The building pictured could be a residence / condo or apartment building spanning multiple socioeconomic levels.  Locals take security precautions because there's almost certainly been instances of home robberies or physical assault.  It's commonplace in many countries to see barred outer doors, barred windows ... even in some neighborhoods in the USA.  What about the broken glass bottles that are sticking out of cement at the top of property or balcony walls?  They're commonplace in many countries.  For someone to suggest or insinuate taking security measures is classist is accurate ... and that concern transcends classes.  Not to understand this illustrates a lack of travel experience and a lack of knowledge of the destinations and peoples being discussed.

LOL. I am from South America, Bright One. You are assuming too much out of the little I wrote. 

Let me say it again. I do not deny the security risks and the need for precaution. I never did.

Now, keep making up shit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-67422663

Red alerts have been issued for almost 3,000 towns and cities across Brazil, which have been experiencing an unprecedented heatwave.

Rio de Janeiro recorded 42.5C on Sunday - a record for November - and high humidity on Tuesday meant that it felt like 58.5C, municipal authorities said.

More than a hundred million people have been affected by the heat, which is expected to last until at least Friday.

Officials have attributed it to the El Niño phenomenon and climate change.

The city of São Paulo saw average temperatures of 37.3C on Tuesday afternoon, the National Institute of Meteorology (Inmet) reported.

(continues at link)

12 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

Sure! Are you willing to teach me who I am and where I come from, Oh Bright One?

As I've said previously, "For someone to suggest or insinuate taking security measures is classist is accurate ... and that concern transcends classes.  Not to understand this illustrates a lack of travel experience and a lack of knowledge of the destinations and peoples being discussed."

• Members
2 hours ago, Mavica said:

As I've said previously, "For someone to suggest or insinuate taking security measures is classist is accurate ... and that concern transcends classes.  Not to understand this illustrates a lack of travel experience and a lack of knowledge of the destinations and peoples being discussed."

As I said, you are making shit up, Bright One.

Good reading, always interesting to hear someone's impressions during/after their first trip somewhere...... 

Not sure if you've seen my repeated comments Brasil vs Thailand..... Thailand (most Asia) wins massage category every time, lol

How was the sex?

SP has a few really good restaurants too, I hope you got to try them.....def a place for meat lovers, in all senses 😉

• Members
On 11/15/2023 at 4:37 AM, macaroni21 said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-67422663

Red alerts have been issued for almost 3,000 towns and cities across Brazil, which have been experiencing an unprecedented heatwave.

Rio de Janeiro recorded 42.5C on Sunday - a record for November - and high humidity on Tuesday meant that it felt like 58.5C, municipal authorities said.

More than a hundred million people have been affected by the heat, which is expected to last until at least Friday.

Officials have attributed it to the El Niño phenomenon and climate change.

The city of São Paulo saw average temperatures of 37.3C on Tuesday afternoon, the National Institute of Meteorology (Inmet) reported.

(continues at link)

Wonderful.  I will be happy to see many hot Brazilian guys on the streets shirtless.   It's a wonderful scene. 

• Members
19 hours ago, floridarob said:

Not sure if you've seen my repeated comments Brasil vs Thailand..... Thailand (most Asia) wins massage category every time, lol

The massage I had in Brazil are different. They are more masculine with big manly powerful hands and they are not shy to massage your testicle and butthole, WITHOUT you asking. YMMV.

• Members
On 11/13/2023 at 2:15 PM, 12is12 said:

Macaroni, how do u plan to get home? 

Via europe, or have u found a better route that had eluded me?

There are three routes to go from South America to Asia: 1. East bound via middle east or Europe, 2. West bound via North America. 3. LATAM and its partners fly from Santiago-SYD-Asia.