bucknaway

A video to remind us to be cautious.

• Members

Yeah if you follow that channel on Instagram you will see one incident after another--enough to make you rethink ever visiting Rio again! That being said I've probably been 20 times never had an issue. I know people always say to "be careful" or "stay alert, " but when a group or individual decides to target you there is not much you can do except cooperate and hope you don't get hurt in the process.

I have always wondered why these sorts of incidents would be almost unheard of in Bangkok or most Asian cities bust seem so common in Rio and South America. Both places have poor people and a sharp divide between the haves and have nots.

10 hours ago, asdsrfr said:

Yeah if you follow that channel on Instagram you will see one incident after another--enough to make you rethink ever visiting Rio again! That being said I've probably been 20 times never had an issue. I know people always say to "be careful" or "stay alert, " but when a group or individual decides to target you there is not much you can do except cooperate and hope you don't get hurt in the process.

I have always wondered why these sorts of incidents would be almost unheard of in Bangkok or most Asian cities bust seem so common in Rio and South America. Both places have poor people and a sharp divide between the haves and have nots.

I'd suggest religion is a significant factor. The idea of Kharma, and reincarnation leads people to accept their place in this life, and if they live it well, the next life will be better.

• Members
2 hours ago, omega said:

I'd suggest religion is a significant factor. The idea of Kharma, and reincarnation leads people to accept their place in this life, and if they live it well, the next life will be better.

Catholic is the main religion in Brazil, and in Catholicism there is HELL for siners.

I would suggest the problem is more of a cultural thing. Latin American culture is a culture of curruption and violence from the top down. 

There are wealthy Brazilians in middle/upper class, and they don't care about the welfare of their own poor citizens.  It's a men eat men society in most of the Latin America (including Mexico).

21 hours ago, omega said:

I figured it was obvious I was talking about Bangkok and similar SE asian countries.

• Members

The victim looks like a local and doesn’t dressed flashy. Guessed it could happen to anyone; wrong place wrong time. Hoping tourists (not clueless) do not get targeted as much due to hitting international news thus making the police working harder to catch the perps. Then again this is Brazil, maybe not.

Wrong place at the wrong time.  Crimes of opportunity.  In Rio, waiting for a bus, a man standing near me was beaten and robbed as I boarded the bus.  I've been mugged in Mexico City several times.  Once in Chicago.  If you walk a lot, move atound a lot ... the chances of being victimized increase.

• Members

When  I am in Latin America, I usually don't walk around outside for an extended period of time.  I take Uber if it is more than a 10-15 minutes walk.  I don't take public transportation.  Uber is so cheap, there is no reason for me to expose myself to a uncomfortable surrounding.   I have been robbed in Brazil, so I know I should just bring only the money I need for the walk, I never use the phone on the street and never even hold the phone in my hand on the street.  I don't wear any jewelry, don't wear watch.  It is tiring to live a life like this, so I just don't go outside much at all while in Latin America. No sight seeing worth the risk of being attacked, in fact, the street scene in most of the Latin America is not pretty anyway, some are down right scary.   If I want to see beautiful architecture or urban scenery, I will go to Europe.  The one and only reason I visit Latin America is sex with beautiful muscle men.

TotallyOz, I m really curious: 

How can one feel safe after being robbed at gun point 3 times? 

I mean, at the very least u must feel that it can happen again. That's the definition of NOT feeling safe; isnt it?

Furthermore, who's to say that on the 4th time the gun won't go on?

I've been to brazil 3 times and to clmbia - 4. I like them, not only for the sex. 

M quite sure that if I was gun robbed once - I wldnt return )-:

• Members

I've experienced two incidents of robbery during my +20 years living in Washington, DC, and my car was even shot once while parked in the street. Despite these unfortunate incidents, I still choose to call DC my home and feel safe here. 

I've also faced robbery situations in both New York City and Paris. However, these experiences haven't deterred me from returning to NYC cities multiple times, and I would return to Paris without thinking twice. I will continue to feel secure when visiting them.

Interestingly, I've never encountered any incidents of robbery during my visits to Brazil or Colombia. Nevertheless, I believe my opinion and comfort level in these nations wouldn't change even if I were to experience a robbery in the future, which is a possibility.

• Members
3 minutes ago, 12is12 said:

Guess I should count myself lucky. I've travelled to more than 70 countries; have never been robbed. 

I think we may need to factor (besides luck) the time we stay in a place, increasing the risks to fall into statistic probability. Buenos Aires, Corrientes, NYC, DC, Paris, are all places where I stayed for a long time, and I was robbed in all of them. In Contrast, Bogotá, Medellín, Salvador, Mexico DF, Rio, where I have never suffered from any crime, have all been visits no longer than 2 weeks.

11 hours ago, scott456 said:

It is tiring to live a life like this, so I just don't go outside much at all while in Latin America. No sight seeing worth the risk of being attacked, in fact, the street scene in most of the Latin America is not pretty anyway, some are down right scary.   If I want to see beautiful architecture or urban scenery, I will go to Europe.  The one and only reason I visit Latin America is sex with beautiful muscle men.

What a sad and boring little traveler you are!