vinapu

Better to be retired than retarded - Thailand and Cambodia in January 2024. Trip report, brief but long.

6 hours ago, vinapu said:

slavery was abolished more than 150 years ago.

On serious note decision to retire  will come naturally based on my experience . I was not planning although I'm well  past retirement age,  then it dawned on me that time is running out  like somebody commented on another forum - longer you save for the future , shorter that future becomes.  

Well said 😄

I guess if your working past 65 you can still save Moree $$$ for trips ,..more money for the guys 😜

11 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Well said 😄

I guess if your working past 65 you can still save Moree $$$ for trips ,..more money for the guys 😜

sure but also less time and energy to  see them. Again , longer you wait for future , shorter she become 

I know because indeed I was working well past 65. Older we are those long flights and resulting jet lags are serving us less and less.

Retirement decision is very personal depending on circumstances and can't be copied from others . we need carefully consider where we are. But once decision is made my advice will be - stick to whatever you resolved and don't look back.

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

sure but also less time and energy to  see them. Again , longer you wait for future , shorter she become 

I know because indeed I was working well past 65. Older we are those long flights and resulting jet lags are serving us less and less.

Retirement decision is very personal depending on circumstances and can't be copied from others . we need carefully consider where we are. But once decision is made my advice will be - stick to whatever you resolved and don't look back.

Now your retired Vinapu , you have the time to move to to Thailand now 

What else you going to do when not in Thailand?

14 hours ago, srvhakko said:

I saw Mr. Y during my visit last month, but I still couldn't figure out who Mr. A was.🤭

A recently removed himself from the scene and may be available only for those who have his contact.

3 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Now your retired Vinapu , you have the time to move to to Thailand now 

What else you going to do when not in Thailand?

Thailand is too hot and too far from my folks to move there permanently.

I'm not worried about boredom in retirement , apart from Thai boys I have another costly and time consuming hobby.

31 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

I stayed at the Siam Heritage a few years back and loved it 

It's a "old fashioned" service type hotel ,I found the staff friendly.

did you try to bring somebody in ?

Location in one of the best one can ask for

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

Day 15 , off to Sukhotai

My hotel of choice was Thai Thai, highly recommended place of bungalows in the garden at 1200 a night.

I hope you wrote a nice review of the hotel for your favorite travel sites. It looks beautiful inside and out. And it's practically on the doorstep for visiting the monument sites.

29 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

I hope you wrote a nice review of the hotel for your favorite travel sites. It looks beautiful inside and out. And it's practically on the doorstep for visiting the monument sites.

Old Sukhotai is rather small place and most hotels there are rather close , at least to central zone.

1 minute ago, vinapu said:

Day 16 Sukhotai ruins

K and I decided to start early to avoid much of heat , at least in some monuments although it needs to be said that weather was extremely co-operative during out time in Sukhotai and it did not feel lie Thailand at all. Balmy 24 – 25 , that’s all.

On another hand place is quite vast and if one needs to avoid heat is to come back to hotel and take airconditioned nap. Fortunately not necessary for us.

There are basically three zones of sites, Central , Northern and Western, each requiring separate 100 baht ticket as well as 10 baht bicycle ticket as well. They did not charge us for bicycles at western zone.

We had our breakfasts at 7 am and then I rented bicycle in my hotel, K opted for rental place nearby and we moved to central zone with Wat Mahatat first, son after site was opened. It needs to be said that while not overwhelmed if was quite populated by tourists , both individual and on tours.

Temples on all three zones are quite close to each other but still not adjacent so walking would be  way too demanding and cycling is ideal, Hence abundance of bicycle rental places. Some sophisticated tourists may opt for electric cart , with or without guide.

There is some shade but  a lot of ruins are in the open , there are places o the way where one can buy some drinks  but as for temple sites themselves only most popular Si Chum has proper facilities  with stores and toilets. Good news is while spread out   sites are still quite close to the city so if one feels tired , returning to hotel is fairly easy.

Some temples in the western zone require a bit of climb, definitely worth it in any case we went up.

All in, that is very pleasant , interesting and easy ‘to do’ site and easily few days can be spend there exploring  what’s available. Some smallish temples are not even on the map I attached for day 15.

I.e. next day  we noticed that there are ruins of  temple in close vicinity to our hotels not even shown on the said map . When I went there , another ruins appeared in the trees across the road, also not on the map

I estimate we visited today about 20 and on our way to them passed by another 15 without stopping there . Around 16.00 ( remember we started at about 7.30 ) I felt dehydrated and suggested we call today’s part off to which K agreed so we pedaled back to the city where we stopped for a meal, mine of course was chicken with cashew nuts, bit spicy there and costing twice as much as in restaurant we were dining lest evening. Tourist zone , tourist prices.

Eariler , while on the way we discussed about plan for tomorrow as we had either Kamphean Phet or Si Satchanalai. Not feasible to do both as they are in opposite directions and by the way Si Satchanalai is relatively  close to  the Sukhotai airport. We settled  on Kampheang Phet and stopped at the travel office on our way to see what price may be.

Offer was 1500 for car with driver, bit cheaper than hotel offered so we agreed right away and even broke rules and paid for it right away asking driver to be at the hotel at 9.00. Finally around 6 pm we landed back in hotels and after bit of rest went back to the city to check night market where I had 2 banana pancakes for 30 baht each. While waiting for first to be prepared  some French tourists took an interest in trying , then somebody else and it looked I made lady very busy all of the sudden. I was victim of that success as was forced to wait for 2nd one to be prepared  such was a line.

While day was pleasant , night was even more , hell with mosquitos , geckos , cobras and lions, I decided to sleep with open patio door and as we can see , survived to tell the tale.

Geckos to eat the mosquitos?