Pantherz

New PCR28 STI Testing at Pulse Clinic Silom

I also wanted to mention that the consent forms that I needed to sign prior to testing had some interesting statistics:

33% of gay men in Bangkok (Thai and non-Thai) are HIV positive. Only 68% of these individuals are undergoing treatment for HIV. 

20% of gay men in Bangkok (Thai and non-Thai) are positive for Syphilis. 

11 hours ago, Pantherz said:

I also wanted to mention that the consent forms that I needed to sign prior to testing had some interesting statistics:

33% of gay men in Bangkok (Thai and non-Thai) are HIV positive. Only 68% of these individuals are undergoing treatment for HIV. 

Wondering what these statistics are based on, as they are horrific. Perhaps I am clutching at straws for good news but I wonder if this is based on their clients rather that the wider gay population. Even so it would still be a very cautionary percentage.  

I've looked on their website but couldn't see details as to how they arrive at that percentage. Of course one should always assume that one's partner may be infected.

47 minutes ago, khaolakguy said:

Wondering what these statistics are based on, as they are horrific. Perhaps I am clutching at straws for good news but I wonder if this is based on their clients rather that the wider gay population. Even so it would still be a very cautionary percentage.  

I've looked on their website but couldn't see details as to how they arrive at that percentage. Of course one should always assume that one's partner may be infected.

A personal observation leads me to believe that, at least, 30% of the money boys are HIV+ in Pattaya. 

On 2/12/2024 at 10:41 AM, Pantherz said:

Most of the surveys conducted look at MSM or male sex with male, rather than those who identify as gay only.

7 hours ago, MaxBKK said:

Most of the surveys conducted look at MSM or male sex with male, rather than those who identify as gay only.

rightly so when subject of STD is considered. I ask almost all guys I off whether they  like girls or boys better. Usual answer is either girls or both or doesn't matter, perhaps only third would be "boy, I'm gay"

On 2/12/2024 at 4:41 AM, Pantherz said:

where can I find these figures? Any objective source?

• Members
14 hours ago, peterholland said:

where can I find these figures? Any objective source?

Re: STIs outside of HIV, though co-morbidity is common …

There are a lot of published epidemiological data if you know where to search. Various peer-reviewed journals thematically related to Infectious Diseases; IAS conference oral and poster abstracts; consensus development initiatives comprised of experts gathering together (aka customized Delphi process) pooling data findings critically appraising statistics, impressions, observations; estimating progress towards 2030 global goals, etc.

The STI incidence and prevalence among key risk populations (eg, MSM, TG) is staggeringly high and up to minimally a hundred-fold if not the higher end thousand-fold the general Thai population depending on the bacterial or viral pathogen. 

Prevalence is established cross-sectional-wise at point-of-care testing among candidates presenting for routine screening and/or based on symptoms precipitating assessment. The denominator is the absolute number of those tested. The positive rates are extremely high. 

Incidence is established where time duration is available, tending to be subgroups willing to enrol and be followed in programs, within which surveillance of infection incidence is tracked. Incidence is depicted as number of infections within a cohort per 100 person-years. This enables an estimate of the average number of new infections for any single high-risk person, say, over a 25 year period of sexual behaviour, example age 20-45. The trend reveals a new infection every few years among key at-risk population individuals.

Co-infection is not uncommon. It is likely that gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis are more routinely treated compared to HIV that requires more focused and sustained adherence. 

• Members

Re: HIV

The prevalence of HIV in key populations is so high that the average at-risk person, in incidence terms, will theoretically have seroconverted by the 20-year mark of their sexual activity. Obviously, in contrast to the aforementioned STIs, this is not subject to recidivism.

——
Evidence in a recent Bangkok and Pattaya study reveals HIV negative sex workers can certainly obtain and reap benefit from PrEP uptake. Of course, those that are poz can go the antiretroviral TasP route with transmission prevention based on viral suppression.

IMG_2058.jpeg

• Members

Paradoxically, in the above research PrEP users had higher rates of Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and Syphilis, all but Syphilis statistically significant, but perhaps an artefact of more frequent behavioural risk events among those on PrEP because greater condom use for STI mitigation among those not on PrEP for would not explain that subgroup’s higher HIV infection rates at 5% or 1 per 30 person-years. 

2 hours ago, Shonen said:

Just had the 28 different types test done. Everything fine except Gonnerrhea found from throat swab.

Given 1,000 mg of something into my butt. Hope it works. They would not have found this in USA as my doctor does only the blood draw and urine sample.

Hope your vagina tests came out ok....

I get swabbed in throat, ass, urine and blood when I get std checks in USA. They mixed up the swabs once and said I had gonorrea in the throat, I told them I hardly suck cock anymore that it must be reversed....he said it doesn't matter, same treatment for both, this happened after Cuba. So I did suck one guy while I was there, a baseball player with an amazing dick, I messaged him of the results, he freaked out and said impossible, went to be tested and said he was negative. A couple of days later someone that had fucked me, said he tested positive for gonorrea.... so the swabs were mixed up and I freaked out the baseball player for no reason.

I was tested before going to Cuba, so the guy that fucked me already had it and gave it to me....  glad they're working on a vaccine for gonorrea. 

That would be nice if they can get the vaccine done. You’re right, it really doesn’t matter where you have the gonorrhea. Evidenced by them injecting my butt even though it was in the throat.  

Did you tell the Cuban guy it was a mistake?

On 2/12/2024 at 10:47 PM, khaolakguy said:

I wonder if this is based on their clients rather that the wider gay population.

Many HIV prevalence surveys of MSM are not client or facility based; rather, MSM population based in specific geographic areas. The numbers actually are shockingly high. This represents a failure of the current interventions and outreach efforts to the reach the MSM community effectively. 

Definitely worth it. I stupidly didn’t get tested last year when I went back to USA. Even if I did they don’t do swab test so it would have gone unnoticed.

So I might have had this for a long time. I will use Pulse always from now on. Lesson learned. I received the Gardasil 9 vaccine from Pulse in Bangkok this past October.

• Members

Canada just shit the sleigh bed on one component of HIV testing options, with a stated decision to cut funding for a federal long-standing sophisticated self-admin rapid test program. Seems counterintuitive given the global-by-2030 containment goals. I’d been able to walk in to a uni campus down the road for a kit, or have the same thing mailed to a remote region Canada Post depot where summer cabin is located.

I can certainly afford to purchase the one licensed product from the manufacturer but many folks, often marginalized or skittish about visibility, benefit from the no-cost and the staffed infrastructure access that includes a thorough educational component and stated contingencies for confirmatory necessity hinging on test results.