reader

Pattaya not the fun it was once says nightlife guru

NOTE -- Was Barry K reading Vinapu's mind--or recent post--about Pattaya, and Soi 6 in particular?

From Pattaya Mail

By Barry Kenyon

Stickman Bangkok, the leading bar and club commentator since 1998, claims boldly that Pattaya has shaken off its seedy reputation. In his weekly online article, for March 10, he argues Pattaya is moving rapidly towards diversification and respectability. What was once a playground for middle-aged white men is now very much a family holiday destination.

For Stickman, Peak Pattaya was from 1998 to 2010 when the resort had transformed from something of a backwater beach destination to a developed (but not over-developed) resort which managed to maintain the old vibes but with more choices of places to go, shop and sleep. It was still a place dominated by middle-aged white men. Today, Stickman concludes, Pattaya is bland by comparison and not anymore off-beat or risque.

Most old timers in Pattaya are going to agree with Stickman who, like Martin Luther at the time of the Reformation, said aloud what lots of people were thinking anyhow. Today’s Pattaya is a concrete jungle, as everyone sees on arrival, and is no longer a bargain for the economy tourist. The sex-dominated districts, such as Soi Six and Soi Buakhao, are fewer in number and probably less fun than they once were. Mobile phones have replaced furtive glances as you pass by.

The Walking Street has changed beyond all recognition, more upmarket and with a future likely dominated by Indian dance clubs and bars essentially catering for Asian travellers. Stickman does not mention the gay scene centered on Jomtien Complex and Boyztown – he usually claims his readers wouldn’t be interested – but the changes there are significant too. Pickup bars and gogo joints have largely been superseded by businesses offering entertaining drag shows, which even your grandmother might enjoy, and relaxing venues where social rather than sexual intercourse seems to be the dominant conversation. Still, they are busy most nights.

Putting the sex back in Pattaya, as you might say, isn’t an option. The Thai government is currently busy offering visa free travel to the diverse mega-markets of Russia, China and India amongst others. As Thailand’s birth rate continues to decline, largely because of the expense of raising families, young Thais have better options than selling their bodies. Pattaya’s successful MICE market (meetings and conventions etc.), the expanding five-star accommodation options, the much misunderstood Eastern Economic Corridor, the diversification of entertainment facilities catering for families (amongst lots of other factors) all point to a future very different from 15 years ago.

Nostalgia for the past, of course, is a privilege of advancing years. Stickman acknowledges that, recalling some of the great characters of the past such as Glitterman who rode a beautifully decorated bicycle around Pattaya, or the guy with the parrot which he even took into the immigration bureau to renew his visa, or the lady who covered herself with tarantulas to shock first time visitors. All gone. Perhaps too sex in Pattaya will wither on the vine. Check out Stickman’s article on https://www.stickmanbangkok.com and decide for yourself.

====================

From Pattaya Mail

Parliamentary delegation surveys EEC, highlights U-Tapao Airport’s strategic role

A high-profile delegation led by Krumanit Sangpoom, Chairman of the Land Transportation Committee of the House of Representatives, embarked on a comprehensive tour of key infrastructure sites within the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) on March 10. The deputation, aimed to gain valuable insights, receive briefings, and engage in discussions regarding the development of this vital economic zone in Thailand’s eastern region.

The visit, facilitated by members of the committee, encompassed three significant locations integral to the EEC’s development trajectory: Laem Chabang Port, U-Tapao Rayong-Pattaya International Airport in Ban Chang District, Rayong Province, and the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate Office. Throughout the visit, the delegation actively participated in discussions and exchanged viewpoints with relevant authorities, addressing the progress, challenges, and obstacles encountered in advancing the EEC’s infrastructure and economic landscape.

The valuable insights and feedback garnered during the visit, encompassing assessments of existing services, identification of areas for enhancement, and strategies for bolstering capacity, will be presented to the Cabinet for deliberation and subsequent action. The delegation reiterated its unwavering commitment to fostering the development of the EEC, acknowledging its pivotal role in shaping Thailand’s future economic trajectory. Furthermore, the strategic positioning of U-Tapao Rayong-Pattaya International Airport was underscored, highlighting its potential to accommodate a significant share of visitors alongside Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang International Airports in the foreseeable future.

Pattaya was much better in my visits in 1999-2006 , Taksin's restrictions policy killed all the fun , Prayuth Chan O Cha coup de tat and his conservative government didn't improve things.

On 3/12/2024 at 1:44 AM, vinapu said:

Use ' all we need is one bar and one boy inside we like " principle and fun is never ending

Sure, but for me better still is one bar with many boys, interacting with each other and the customers (and not their phones!) Statistically you have a better opportunity to find that "one boy" and the atmosphere is so much better while you're waiting for him to appear.

37 minutes ago, thaiophilus said:

Sure, but for me better still is one bar with many boys, interacting with each other and the customers (and not their phones!) Statistically you have a better opportunity to find that "one boy" and the atmosphere is so much better while you're waiting for him to appear.

I agree. Atmosphere is important,  so I prefer a smaller, intimate space that can be filled up more easily  with boys, preferably  in underwear. I also think you need dimmer lighting, to encourage more activity! Turn aircon down, difficult  to feel sexy in an ice box!

5 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

I agree and it's hard to argue with your view but my point is , instead of dreaming about old days which probably won't return any time soon for many reasons or waiting for arrival of that ideal setting with dimmed lights and dozens of boys in skimpy underwear mingling with us  it better to put effort of getting as much fun as we can from what is available  now.

many of us would gladly drive Bentley but are content with clunky old Hyunday

7 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

Expertise using Google Translate is an important skill when trying to communicate especially as many seem to have only recently arrived in Thailand. Last night I could not make much progress when trying to talk to a Burmese boy as there does not seem to be an English - Burmese google facility, but maybe I didn’t look hard enough.

Google translate does have a Burmese selection but I've found it far less productive than other language choices. Perhaps it's because so many dialects seem to be spoken there.

The boys from Cambodia and Laos can converse in Thai because their native languages are similar to Thai. The Burmese lad was able to tell me he could not understand Thai as his language is completely different. His bar was 100% Burmese. 

Talking to another customer we both formed the impression that a proportion of the boys have only recently arrived to work in the bars and are rather unsophisticated as regards to gay sex and it can be difficult to establish their orientation. On my second visit to the Complex I offed a boy from Laos who could speak English and had worked bar 6 months and who was able to tell me he was versatile, which proved to be the case during a LT off (400 to the bar, boys tip 2000).

My last visit to Pattaya was in 2022. Before that I was there in 2019, and before 2019 I came from 2009 to 2016 every year several times.

According to my impressions, from 2016 to 2019 Pattaya seriously sank as a bar business; in 2019 there was a feeling of fatigue and depression everywhere.

The visit in 2022 brought a double impression. On the one hand, depression is no longer felt. Business came to life, became more energetic, one might even say more professional. On the other hand, business has become mechanical, guys are more indifferent. They don’t even try to imitate interest in you, they work like at the cash register at McDonald’s - the main task is to get your order as quickly as possible. Immediately after this, interest instantly disappears.

I remember with nostalgia the host bars of the early 2010s, when I came to the bar and felt like a welcome guest, I was treated and entertained. None of this exists anymore. Now I am a visitor, not a guest.

Finding boys in Pattaya and the gay entertainment scene in Pattaya are two different things. 

Finding boys was easy back then and nowadays as well just the methods change before we rely on bars and freelancers who hang out at beaches, malls and all over Pattaya and now you can find them online as well.if looking boys is your main purpose Pattaya still delivers and can be enjoyable.

Regarding the gay entertainment scene in Pattaya it's nothing like it was in the past I enjoyed to walk around Sunnee Plaza it was packed with bars and restaurants the ambience was lively,Boyz Town had also many bars with great shows lots of people having fun . Dongtan beach was exclusively gay zone with lots of freelancers sitting there and gay masseurs doing massage at the beach. almost all of these are gone now the scene is still exist but dramatically declined.

On 3/18/2024 at 12:58 PM, 10tazione said:
On 3/18/2024 at 12:58 PM, 10tazione said:

Is there any such hotel within say 15 minutes walk from BT you could recommend?

- 15 minutes walk wouid equate to about 1 mile and that would encompass A lot of South Pattaya where there are a number of hotels which could be described as “resort’ having facilities like pools and gyms in addition to quality rooms, with a price to match. I would not however like to recommend any one in particular.