firecat69

Amazed by the Prejudicial Comments in Multiple Threads

Can we not add a "who cares what you think" button for use when someone comments about " I'm sorry but I don't like skinny / fat / white / asian ( insert their dislike ) guys who look like THAT, they make me sick" etc, just so they get it that "no one cares as thats just THEIR preference".

While I don't read most of the threads here (or even all the posts in a given thread), I'm a bit puzzled as to what this weird expression of encouraged silence (keep your opinions to yourself!) is all about. It smells rather familiar to the latest (as in yesterday) pronouncement of the General about the disallowance of any criticism at all.

[i'll now partially guess what started this business].  If one wants to have a photo thread with photos only and no comment at all, then ask the moderator if that's okay (and, moderator, if that's allowed, then please enforce the rule).  If it's not allowed, then people ought to be encouraged to disagree without being rude.  

But I do have to admit that the notion of asking posters to not say what type they like or what type they don't like strikes me (an admittedly wacko gay man) as something that short circuits my puny pea brain.  If you really feel offended by the fact that somebody else doesn't like the type you like or, perhaps, you even feel pressured in the slightest by such criticisms to alter your own personal chemistry, the only suggestion I have is that it's time for you to grow a pair.

However, when others comment that they don't like a photo or a guy posted, it does not contribute to the conversation in the least.

but it does contribute to conversation when they comment they like photo or a guy?

If somebody says " best bar in BKK is Super A" and chorus of 'yes' will follow , not much conversation it will create.

But it would start if somebody says 'yes" and a next person will ask   ' are you both for real?' 

While I don't read most of the threads here (or even all the posts in a given thread), I'm a bit puzzled as to what this weird expression of encouraged silence (keep your opinions to yourself!) is all about. It smells rather familiar to the latest (as in yesterday) pronouncement of the General about the disallowance of any criticism at all.

[i'll now partially guess what started this business].  If one wants to have a photo thread with photos only and no comment at all, then ask the moderator if that's okay (and, moderator, if that's allowed, then please enforce the rule).  If it's not allowed, then people ought to be encouraged to disagree without being rude.  

But I do have to admit that the notion of asking posters to not say what type they like or what type they don't like strikes me (an admittedly wacko gay man) as something that short circuits my puny pea brain.  If you really feel offended by the fact that somebody else doesn't like the type you like or, perhaps, you even feel pressured in the slightest by such criticisms to alter your own personal chemistry, the only suggestion I have is that it's time for you to grow a pair.

I don't think anyone is trying to stifle conversation. But, there is a decorum in any given situation.  If you want into the bar with a boy I think is hideous, I don't say to you, "Hey, Bob.  Nice to see you. The boy is not my type, but I hope you have fun."  There is not real point in that. IMHO.

Now, if you do come in with a hot guy, I would also not say, "Hey, Boy, hot boy.  Can you tell me where I can book him as I want to fuck him this week."  Again, not appropriate.

IMHO, it is all a matter of what is considered what is OK to say and what is not OK to say.  No conversation is being put on hold by asking someone who repeatedly says that gay boys are "not his type" to just not comment. 

I like all of God's children and for me, manly men, ladyboys, gay boys and even some girls are all sexy and need a bit of loving from time to time. But, if I put a photo up here of a hot lady with a nice big pussy that I love to eat, it would make me very sad if all you queens said that was gross. ;)

I'm with firecat69 and Michael on this one.  Suppose I dislike a boy pic somebody posted.  Suppose I submit a post saying I don't like him, he's not my type, or whatever else.  Is there anyone who really cares whether I like him or not? 

I'm not the least bit interested in what somebody else has to say about any of the posted pics.  I'm only interested in the boys I like.  Which ones do I like?  Which ones do I not like?  Other than me, who cares?

I'm with Bob and Vinapu on this one.  I find it interesting when someone dislikes, as much as when someone likes.  If you only care of what you like and dislike, you don't need a forum but simply write to yourself.

I can understand your position, where a dislike sounds like an impolite criticism.  But such dislike written in a forum will never be the same as saying it in the face of the person involved, so it is still civil.  A forum where dissenting opinions are permitted gives us the opportunity to grow a thick skin that is immune to feelings of being slighted.

This reminds me of some discussions I have in forums about religion.  There, the believers happily throw around their beliefs, usually as "facts", and when an agnostic like me challenges their "facts" they become very defensive, even feeling insulted. But as long as posts comply with the rules of civility, we have all the right to give our opinions,  and the "insulted" have the choice of either swallow their pride or leave the forum. (usually they become more combative, and this adds excitement to the discussion)

If you only care of what you like and dislike, you don't need a forum but simply write to yourself.

I wouldn't even do that.  I fail to see the point of writing about the posted pics at all.  For what? It has nothing to do with whether it is complementary or insulting.  For me, I simply have no interest at all in somebody saying he likes or dislikes this one or that one.  If it interests you and others, fine with me - post your comment. 

I also fail to see your connection between posts about religion and commenting about boy pics.  Nobody is trying to deny you the right to comment if you want to.  But if you do, no matter what you say about a particular pic, my reaction is "So what?" 

I'm interested in people's opinions about issues.  I would probably be very interested in what you have to say about religion.  But opinions about a pic turning you on or off?  Speaking only for myself, zero interest.

If the boys in a particular bar are not my type, I shall continue to say so.  Tawan is a fine example.

However, I hope the bar continues to do well and the people who patronise it enjoy themselves there.  

That's expressing a preference, not discrimination.

Where it goes too far is if people start criticising it imply that bar's shouldn't even have a particular type of boy, or the "we all hate fem boys" kind of nonsense. 

Most people know roughly where to draw the line, but of course there are some differences of opinion about that in this thread. 

I suspect these will remain, as most people have probably not been influenced by what they read in this thread. 

It's called "forum" for a reason. If I feel like posting a reply, I post it, no matter if it's the kind of reply the thread starter is hoping for or not. A thread like the Tawan favorites one would be outright boring without a little bit of controversy, I think.

Michael, as far as I'm concerned, please post the pussy! I haven't seen any since 2007 and my memories are starting to fade... Help me.

If the boys in a particular bar are not my type, I shall continue to say so.  Tawan is a fine example.

I "kinda-sorta" agree with you.  Tawan is the only go-go bar I'm aware of in all of Thailand where you can be certain of consistently finding a particular type - the body builder, super muscular type.  I know of no other bar where you're always going to know what types will be working there.  What you find today might not necessarily be true a week from now.

The days of walking into nearly any go-go bar and knowing you're going to find scores of boys and plenty of customers are over.  I remember it wasn't all that long ago when people were posting about the need to be at the bar right at opening time to be certain of being able to off the boy you want, before someone else takes him.  Anyone feel that is still a necessity?  Times have changed.  Unless the wheel turns and things somehow revert to the way they used to be, the "golden years" of the gay bar scene, at least in Pattaya, are history.

I agree with what you said about some posters going too far.  Most gay farang coming to Thailand for a holiday are going to be heading for the bars.  Meanwhile, all some seem to want to do is post put-downs about various bars.  In case no one has noticed, the number of go-go bars today, and beer bars too, doesn't even come close to the number of bars there were ten years ago. 

In Pattaya, Sunee Plaza used to be one go-go bar after another.  Now there are only three.  There used to be about a half dozen go-go bars in the Soi Day-Night area, and even a couple along some of the side streets.  Now there are none at all.  The massage shops used to be quite busy.  Now most of the time I see the boys sitting out front playing with their mobile phones, but I rarely see any customers.  I've had some massage boys tell me they get more customers from Planet Romeo than they do at their massage shops.

In Pattaya we've also already virtually lost the beach as a place to find scads of boys.  Maybe some of these people won't be satisfied until there are no bars left at all.

Maybe some ought to consider being more supportive of the scene you come here for instead of putting it down all the time.  That is, of course, unless you want to see the reason you come here disappear forever.  While I blame mismanagement and failure to do much of anything to attract customers for the eroding away of the bar scene,  if it eventually disappears completely and you want to know who is at least partially responsible, if you're a put-down poster, look in a mirror.

I wouldn't even do that.  I fail to see the point of writing about the posted pics at all.  For what? It has nothing to do with whether it is complementary or insulting.  For me, I simply have no interest at all in somebody saying he likes or dislikes this one or that one.  If it interests you and others, fine with me - post your comment. 

I also fail to see your connection between posts about religion and commenting about boy pics.  Nobody is trying to deny you the right to comment if you want to.  But if you do, no matter what you say about a particular pic, my reaction is "So what?" 

You fail to see the point of us writing about pictures .

You have no interest in what one likes or dislikes.  

You fail to see a connection I made between comments about religion and boy pics,

etc, etc...

Guy!... What a lack of interests!

And you throw this into the faces of readers here.  

Why should WE have to know what YOU are NOT interested in?

Cannot you keep this to yourself?  

Your post seems to be a perfect case that leaves one "Amazed by the Perjudicial Comments" that is the title of this thread.  

How did you manage to become so negative ???

I agree with what you said about some posters going too far.  Most gay farang coming to Thailand for a holiday are going to be heading for the bars.  Meanwhile, all some seem to want to do is post put-downs about various bars.  In case no one has noticed, the number of go-go bars today, and beer bars too, doesn't even come close to the number of bars there were ten years ago. 

---

Maybe some ought to consider being more supportive of the scene you come here for instead of putting it down all the time.  That is, of course, unless you want to see the reason you come here disappear forever.  While I blame mismanagement and failure to do much of anything to attract customers for the eroding away of the bar scene,  if it eventually disappears completely and you want to know who is at least partially responsible, if you're a put-down poster, look in a mirror.

If you agree about some posters going too far, you should do some introspection into your posts.  Why is it always "the others" who are at fault?

In your last posts there has been a putting down of posters for writing comments about pictures, now you accuse posters of "eroding away the gay scene",  as if a few posts could have such an influence on a scene that involves thousands of people in a huge city.

When a criticism of a bar or any other place in the ambient is HONEST, it is a service to all of us.  A similar service is done with a HONEST positive opinion.  I don't find in this forum a predominance of neither negative or positive opinions but I think that they are well balanced.  And if you think that some criticism is unfair, you have full freedom to criticize the unfair criticism right away.

You have of course the right to your opinion that the old times were much better.  But remember that today is the time that will be the "old times" of the next generation, and they will look back at today with nostalgia. And it seems that times are getting better all the time for us gays, not the other way around.

In real life it's great fun to sit with a friend in a bar and comment on the boys we see and compare our preferences.

On the forums, I think it doesn't add value if people are drooling over pictures or disapprove of pictures.

Michael, as far as I'm concerned, please post the pussy! I haven't seen any since 2007 and my memories are starting to fade... Help me.

The last time I saw a pussy from close was in 1980 - when I was born.

In real life it's great fun to sit with a friend in a bar and comment on the boys we see and compare our preferences.

On the forums, I think it doesn't add value if people are drooling over pictures or disapprove of pictures.

The last time I saw a pussy from close was in 1980 - when I was born.

I think we all would prefer to be in your place and sit in a bar with friends, commenting on the nice boys we see.

But one sees few boys in bars in the USA that are so much fun to comment about.  So we have to sit at the internet and comment with fellow posters on the pictures of boys we see here.  What is wrong with this?

BTW, you are very special to have been born in with eyes wide open when they pulled you out in 1980... and what a memory! :)