numazu

Bangkok/Yangon/Bagan/Mandalay Trip Report: Playing With Fire

I'm going to suggest you trawled for info rather than trolled.  Not your style  :)

Yes trolling is not my style :). Thanks for introducing the word "trawl" to me. It may be more appropriate.

certainly that can't  be said about overwhelming majority of us farangs and our Thai ( Burmese, Lao, Cambodian, Viet ) boys , lucky you and enjoy while it lasts, LOL  

Of course, as Vinapu has already mentioned, the thing that I am most envious about is that you can still fit into a medium-sized T-shirt! LOL

Haha I did not think about that. Believe it or not I wore Small in my twink days. Time is no friend to the metabolism, as I discover that while BurBoy eats what he wants and still manages to retain his six pack abs, mine disappears as soon as I even think about food. Sad fact of life, but as you point out, I am still luckier than most. 

LOL!  Not even when traveling with a Tawan boy ?

Tawan boys Phet, Boy and Soda all wear mediums. Tong, my long time off and driver last June, wears XL because of his massive chest and biceps, but he has six pack abs, something my medium-sized torso does not have (at least after this holiday, trying to get it back, its so hard).

What an astonishing last day up in those balloons, as you and others have said life-time memories in the making both for you and for Bur-Boy.

nice to know that ballooning made such  a progress in Bagan , when I took the same adventure back in 2001,  ours  ( the same,  Baloons over Bagan) was only one in the air, could be booked day in advance and cost only 195 USD

You are right , it's adventure worth every penny and one remembers it forever. 

On my day back, my boss asked all of us in the department what was the coolest thing we did over the holidays. I showed them my balloon photos and hands down I won that challenge. BurBoy and I still talk about it to this day, and BurBoy has shared his photos and stories with his family and friends. He had to lie about it to his family though, saying that he only paid 200 baht for it. They know he can't afford the $380, and he didn't want them to ask any more questions about how he was able to afford that.

And what a difference from 2001, with only one balloon, and being able to book it the day before. Right now they can't keep up with the demand, at least in high season. I believe you can get it cheaper in off-season months.

Numazu, you're wise to undertake these adventures at a relatively young age and fortunate to have found a guy who brings so much sheer joy into the relationship.  Butterfly or no butterfly, you're one lucky guy.  One of the things I find myself occasionally falling victim to is the feeling that it's too late to fully enjoy life. But what really holds me back is not physical constraint but a mental one that often finds excuses to believe that it's even possible. Sharing your experiences challenges that mindset. Thanks for taking the time to put these reports together; they're like a not-so-gentle nudge in the back.

Spot-on!   That's absolutely spot-on! 

'Carpe Diem' was the Roman phrase, and how many of actually do still 'seize the day' as middle-age overtakes us.

This TR is proving an inspiration perhaps even a guilt-trip to some of us all-too-far-from-medium-sized couch potatoes.

Thanks guys. If I can inspire anyone to take the plunge and discover avenues previously unexplored, then I have done my duty. I fucking hate platitudes, but really: don't be a passive bystander in your own life. Stop doing what's comfortable, and start challenging yourself. A life changing event that I can't talk about here, happened some years ago for me, and that was the kick in the pants I needed to stop worrying about what is perceived to be acceptable, and just live my own life.  And not the way I think it should be, but with an open mind and just going with the flow. I've never been happier.

Right now they can't keep up with the demand, at least in high season. I believe you can get it cheaper in off-season months.

As I'v been told they don't fly at low season: too risky. At hot season balloons have no power cuz air outside and air inside balloon have not enough difference in temperature (that why even at high season they fly only early morning - at most cool time). At rain season another reason: at rain balloon becomes too heavy when is wet.

Haha I did not think about that. Believe it or not I wore Small in my twink days. Time is no friend to the metabolism, as I discover that while BurBoy eats what he wants and still manages to retain his six pack abs, mine disappears as soon as I even think about food. Sad fact of life, but as you point out, I am still luckier than most. 

Tawan boys Phet, Boy and Soda all wear mediums. Tong, my long time off and driver last June, wears XL because of his massive chest and biceps, but he has six pack abs, something my medium-sized torso does not have (at least after this holiday, trying to get it back, its so hard).

The ravages of age are so common...  but they don't have to be.  Metabolism changes, but it does not need to be the enemy.

A younger person and smart traveler can anticipate the changes in the body with age, and make simple adjustments. It is all a matter of habit, and with the little work of acquiring the good habits, decades can pass without any size increases and even with improvements from skinny and weak to strong and firm.  I have found some very minor drawback:  clothes can get very old if we don't have the need to buy bigger ones.  One can be wearing jeans and shirts that are 25 years old...   I used to wear medium as a young man, and now I like the small  (this is the "small"in the US, not the one in Thailand) because tight looks good and I'm not so formal anymore  :)  

As I'v been told they don't fly at low season: too risky. At hot season balloons have no power cuz air outside and air inside balloon have not enough difference in temperature (that why even at high season they fly only early morning - at most cool time). At rain season another reason: at rain balloon becomes too heavy when is wet.

Yes they do not fly when it is too hot, windy or wet. My understanding is they only fly between October and April. I've also seen online that you can get a slight discount when booked through travel agents but you have to pay cash. Also, in low tourist volume  months like October, November and March and April, they are known to give the slight discounts as well.

we all were, thankfully those skinny days are behind most of us.

The ravages of age are so common...  but they don't have to be.  Metabolism changes, but it does not need to be the enemy.

A younger person and smart traveler can anticipate the changes in the body with age, and make simple adjustments. It is all a matter of habit, and with the little work of acquiring the good habits, decades can pass without any size increases and even with improvements from skinny and weak to strong and firm.  I have found some very minor drawback:  clothes can get very old if we don't have the need to buy bigger ones.  One can be wearing jeans and shirts that are 25 years old...   I used to wear medium as a young man, and now I like the small  (this is the "small"in the US, not the one in Thailand) because tight looks good and I'm not so formal anymore   :)

As you can see, both BurBoy and I love to eat, constantly and a lot. He doesn't put on any weight, and seem to keep his abs intact even after two weeks of eating with me. I am not as fortunate and have to work on it when not on vacation. But yes, I am glad I am not skinny anymore, but sometimes wish my body handled food better like when I was in my early 20s.

What a memorable experience,great photos also..

Sorry I am late to the game.  I read this entire thread today word for word and am just amazed and impressed and inspired.  There is so much detailed information here and also some great sex along with way.  I love it!

Thanks guys. Its nice for me to relive the moments when I wrote them, and then relive them again when I post them. Alas, there is not enough sex in this report, so I hope it is fine.

and we wish you you will be even happier in the future

Thanks vinapu! Same to you and to everyone else here!

As you can see, both BurBoy and I love to eat, constantly and a lot. He doesn't put on any weight, and seem to keep his abs intact even after two weeks of eating with me. I am not as fortunate and have to work on it when not on vacation. But yes, I am glad I am not skinny anymore, but sometimes wish my body handled food better like when I was in my early 20s.

It is fine to eat nearly constantly and a lot, as long as it is the right kind of food.  Maybe BurBoy eats little junk food (even if he drinks this "palm sugar juice"?).  It seems that we undervalue and abuse the stomach more than other organs and throw in food like it can process everything. But if we treat it with some expertise it can function well all our life in a digestive system that keeps us at an optimum weight and in good health. 

your reports are  more and more magic and enchanting  every day passing, Thank you for  a great work 

agree 100%. Amazing report with great pictures, better than any travel guide book. Highlight are the stunning balloon ride pics. 

BurBoy explains it to me. It was called “gyam yar” or “kwun ya” in Burmese, and upon further research, it is more commonly called “Paan” (Hindi). It is betel nut leaf with some areca nut and possibly some tobacco. Reading on it more, I find out that it is carcinogenic and may cause oral or throat cancer. I’ve never had anyone I love give me something that caused cancer before. Such a sweet and deadly gift. As an aside, these are internet photos of Burmese guys who chew this things addictively:

"I’ve never had anyone I love give me something that caused cancer before. " I wouldn't look at it that way, as I'm sure he had no idea that this carcinogenic. Apart from that, even so it wouldn't matter. people offer others cigarettes all the time, a well known carcinogen. Some people make hte choice to consume these, and consuming it in limited quantities limits the risk as well. And consuming just ONE dose (just to try it once, like in this instance with the betel) certainly poses ZEO cancer risk.

And regarding the pictures with the red teeth: in times bygone in this region such teeth were actually a beauty ideal, and visiting Europeans with their white teeth were seen as very odd.

Day 6.25: Eating Our Way Through Bagan

It was only 8:30 AM by the time we get back to the hotel. We have planned a full-day tour today of the Bagan temples, which we scheduled at 10:30 AM because we didn’t know how long the balloon ride experience will take. At the room we compare photos and sent it to social media and our loved ones. We were super psyched about it and were still on a high from the great experience. Its not everyday you get to ride on a hot air balloon.

[...]

We get to the buffet around 9:45 AM, and the place was almost empty, perhaps because tours start before 8AM:

I can totally imagine the awe and exhilaration induced by the balloon ride. You pics give a glimpse to the awesomeness. To round it off with the relaxed and romantic sunset boat tour (as opposed to the overcrowded viewing from the temple) is no less than perfect. You certainly do a lot of thing right when going on these trip, and having good luck with the choices is part of it. 

However the quote above begs a question: you get back to the hotel, hungry, at 8:30, but make it to the buffet only at 9:45. What did you do in the intervening 1 hour and 15 minutes??? The shower sure didn't take that long. What are you hiding from us???? hahahha ;) ;)

Day 6.75: Touring Temples with Boys: Bagan Edition Part 2

We go to the Golden Myanmar Restaurant, [... ] It ranks #82 out of 107 restaurants reviewed for Bagan, so not god reviews (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g317112-d2100849-Reviews-Golden_Myanmar-Bagan_Mandalay_Region.html), but it was recommended by Kaung so not second guessing the choice. Kaung at the edge of the photo:

I pay up, it was 13,000 kyat or so (less than $10) so it was super cheap, super authentic, and super satisfying. This was my kind of lunch.

so much for rankings, in my view they are mostly worthless. Rankings force an order where often there is none. If you have 5  places with a rating average of, say, 7.81 - 7,82 -7,83 -7,84 - 7,85 the differences are minuscule and accidental, so the places should be considered identical. Yet there is an order and one place "wins" and another is the "worst". And apart from that, the personal criteria of the people giving ratings on places like tripadvisor can vastly differ, so there is no way to tell whether or not those are relevant to you or me, personally. Much more helpful is reading actual reviews, as in prose, to get a feel for what the reviewer cares about or not and give more meaning to his/her judgement. 

By the same token, your reports are an amazing source of valuable and usable information (apart from the enthralling storytelling, see above)

And apart from that, the personal criteria of the people giving ratings on places like tripadvisor can vastly differ, so there is no way to tell whether or not those are relevant to you or me, personally. 

words of wisdom. I one doesn't know the person can't assess correctly what he is trying to say.

There are those who will be complaining about the food just because view from restaurant windows was ugly a and will be those who will be praising unkempt hotel just because staff at reception is cute.

Often , just for fun I read reviews of hotels I was staying in and I'm amazed what some are complaining about or exclaiming virtues  I clearly overlooked when there.

Restaurant reviews are even less relevant as our tastes about food vary very widely.

Just recently in span of few days  three newbies acting on my recommendation visited Oasis on Suriwong to taste my often mentioned chicken with cashews. Feedback I received- one praise and thank you, one pretended not to notice my question so I assume he did  not like it, one did not like outright , not as much food as restaurant itself. Anybody can make out of it whatever he wishes

Guest Stewart

I will not pretend to know how the citizens of Thailand’s neighboring country’s can just come and go as they please through Thailand’s porous borders, without much thought about passports or visas or overstaying. Even with my little episode with Cambodia Boy about his passport and visa expiring weeks before our flight from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, which necessitated him sneaking across the border to Cambodia and get a new passport, I still don't understand how they can just do that. Exit stamps were not needed apparently, 

I also find it a complete mystery, Maybe someone knows. My "Burboy" existed in Pattaya on a borrowed ID. He had no passport. However when the pangs of love took hold I could not bear the thought of him being found out so I sent him home to get a passport and a visa. All this took a bit of cash but not a lot of time. Now instead of the tortuous bus journey from Mai Sai to Pattaya he can take a bus to Chaing Rai and catch the "easy jet" south. I may be wrong but I understand he only needs a visa to make an overland crossing. Should he fly to BKK from Myanmar then he can enter on the tourist visa, same as us folk. Having said that I might have read that this was suspended after the alleged trumped up charges against 2 Myanmar boys accused of killing a couple of brits caused a bit of mayhem and a few insults towards the Thai hierarchy. 

One other point is that he is able, quite freely, to walk across the border with just his Myanmar ID but is limited to no further south than Chaing Rai. Maybe this is because he from Shan State and they may have special arrangements I do not know for sure. He tells me it is because he is ethnic Tai Yai but I will not begin to understand about that.

fabulous reports by the way...and the balloon ride is now on my bucket list. Not sure about my little "pot noodle" if he is up for it. Going to take him to Hua Hin on the ferry next week for a belated valentines treat on my Marriott points. Lets see how he is on water first.

Malaysian and thailand gov had an agreement for border crossing where instead of passport, we can have a border pass instead, much cheaper and quicker to get, but only for area that are near the borders. I guess myanmar and thai also have similar arrangement? For us, only those who stay on the northern border states can apply, and they can only go up to songhkla area, so if they go to bkk or pattaya, it is considered illegal.

BurBoy probably has an alien identification card or pink card that looks like this

http://treasurygroup.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/24111.jpg

Or the work permit card (green card) like this

http://webiz.co.th/files/photos/148459/77444.jpg

This pink card allows him to stay and work in Thailand legally. And it probably allows him to cross the border by land. Although strictly by law, he'll need a passport to cross the border but the border control landside is less restrictive than the airside.

CB may have entered Thailand with his passport and obtained a temporary stay visa (the same tourist visa issued to all foreigners). He probably 'work' in Thailand illegally and will have to leave and reenter every 90 days as the temp visa expires.