Badboy81

Badboys June Trip to Bangkok....Suggestions Needed

I had such a great trip in March, Im heading back to Bangkok but definitely need some suggestions on what to do and where to go...

Here is what I have on the list of MUST DO so far...

Khoasan Rd on Friday and Saturday night...maybe Sunday night...

I will definitely go to Tawan Saturday since I missed it last trip

6-7 massages...Maybe more...

This time I want to go to a few malls...which ones do you recommend and why?

I would love to go to an actual restaurant in BKK, I did go to a few while on a food tour on my last trip but Im open to suggestions...

Is Asiatique on the Riverfront worth a trip?

I plan to see a Calyso ladyboy show this trip..

Anywhere to see and ride an elephant in Bangkok?

Are the water markers worth a trip?

I did visit the leaning Buddha and the Grand Palace already.

I went to a really nice sauna but definitely stood out and only found one hot type to shag with while I was there...

Im open to all suggestions...Ill definitely take them and do some research 

Thanks guys...

I would love to go to an actual restaurant in BKK, I did go to a few while on a food tour on my last trip but Im open to suggestions...

Thanks guys...

For the Malls, MBK mostly for the value, good shopping, movies upstairs. Siam Paragon, slightly more up market but good for a browse and some good food there as well. Central World, I mostly go there to either get lost (not a big fan of the layout but getting used to it) and the restaurants there are quite good.

A restaurant that I go to in the Silom / Surawong area is The Mango Tree (just near Tawan), always had good food at reasonable prices.'

For me I like Asiatique as it can be a good night out and they also have good restaurants there too

I have a couple of suggestions providing you don't mind spending a bit of money:

Have a cocktail at sunset at The Sky Bar at the Banyan Tree - not the best cocktails and expensive but an experience - dress smartly.

Follow it up with dinner at La Table De Tee

My partner and I have eaten here three times and always enjoyed it, it's a set menu with choices on some courses and for the quality is reasonably priced, but note it isn't Thai food.

It is a small restaurant so you should make a reservation.

Agree with traveller123 on both recommendations. Vertigo at the Banyan Tree is definitely expensive but worth it for the view. Your only problem is the time of year. If it starts to rain just after your drinks have arrived you have to move down a floor.

Have also eaten several times at Table de Tee. The cuisine is French nouvel cuisine type fusion with some Thai flavourings. Last time I was there the cost was around 1,350 Baht per head plus service. Its a fixed price menu with 5 courses. Three courses have a choice of two dishes. The other two have no choice. Chef Tee trained at a top restaurant in London. Its in a little dead end sub soi about half way along Saladaeng.

http://www.latabledetee.com

With a similar fusion theme, even better is Le Du very close to Chongnonsi BTS station. The two Thai chefs here trained in New York and then worked in top US restaurants. Its more expensive than Tabble de Tee but the quality is higher. The flavours in each dish just explode in your mouth. There is a tasting menu but be careful for some of the dishes require an extra supplement.

http://www.ledubkk.com

Restaurants:  I also like La Table de Tee.  Food is very good and the staff is endearing.  I heartily recommend Somtum Der on Sala Daeng for good Isaan food.  It's a chance to get a little adventurous without the worries you may have about street food.  I am a huge fan of Steve Cafe and Cusine.  http://www.stevecafeandcuisine.com/index.html  Really really good food and charming staff.  The branch by the river gives a lovely chance to sit by the river in a quiet spot and relax (NB:  does not have a/c - it's on a covered porch deck).  The other branch is in the Ari neighborhood, just a short walk from the Ari BTS station.  If you go to the one by the river note that the tourist boat does not stop at the Thewet pier, so you should take the regular express water boat (which is cheaper anyway).  Despite the name it is a Thai-owned Thai resto.

Calypso:  Meh. It's really not that great, but if it's your only chance to see a big ladyboy show, I suppose it's ok.  The two ladyboy shows in Pattaya - Tiffany and Alcazar - are, I believe, generally thought to be far superior.  Calypso was the first show I went to and really wasn't impressed.  But if you're in the neighborhood it's of course not a waste of time.  There's a fun more low-key/comedy type drag show at Stranger Bar on Soi 4 Thursday nights.  Of course it's nothing like the big show numbers at Calypso or the others, but it might get you your fix of drag. 

The Sky Bar at State Tower/Lebua is iconic (Hangover 2 I think).  It's big has a dramatic layout.  Drinks are crazy expensive but the service is really good there.  Moon Bar/Vertigo at Banyan I personally like a bit better because it's got a nicer view of Lumpini, but the service is not very fast - and the drinks are also expensive.  Both have dress codes which require long pants on men - which I find oppressive in this heat.  A nice roof top deck without the tedious dress code is Heaven/Zense on 17th floor of Central World.  There are lots of sky bars - you can always explore with friends and find the right one for you.  

Sunday nights is gay night at Maggie Choo's if you're looking for a break from Soi 4 or Soi 2.

Personally not a huge fan of water markets.  I am a fan of a couple of the train markets (Talad Rot Fai).  The one in Ratchada is easy to get to by MRT (Thailand Cultural Center) behind the Esplanade shopping center.  I think it's open wednesday (or thursday??) through sunday at night, but google to check that before you go.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+New+Rot+Fai+Market+Ratchada/@13.7659909,100.5701301,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x2c30ba0b8d64f91d!8m2!3d13.7667568!4d100.5685637  There was rumored to be a gay bar there, but I never made the effort to find it.  

For temples - there's a lot to be found getting lost and wandering around the Wat Arun area.  

Another place might be Golden Mount (Wat Saket).  It's a good excuse to take the canal boat which is a fun way to get around town and drops you off right near the base, and it's a invigorating tiny climb to the top.  Right near Golden Mount is the street where there are still a lot of wood workers you can see carving those ornate door panels.  Also not to far is Ban Bat alley community where for a very long time the local families made alms bowls ("Begging Bowls") for monks.  There are people still making the bowls today whom you can watch, and they make nice bowls for tourists to buy as well.  It's an interesting little bit of living history if you're bored and interested a exploring a little.

I had reason to go to the Klong Toey slum a couple of years ago and I thought it was absolutely fascinating.  I was with someone local.  Not sure I would recommend just heading in there on my (or your) own.  But if you can find a kind or intrepid local - it's very interesting.  Lately there have been some award-winning community recreation projects in the slum that take advantage of tiny postage-stamp-sized oddly-shaped lots.  

For an inexpensive day out: from Sathorn pier (BTS Saphan Taksin) take the Chao Phraya Express river bus (the ordinary orange-flag boat, NOT the overpriced blue-flag tourist boat) all the way to the terminus at Nonthaburi. Stroll round a provincial town, have lunch at a riverside restaurant, return. Boat fare: 15B each way. From Nonthaburi you can also take a taxi to Pak Kred and the local ferry across to the island of Ko Kred, but that may require some language and negotiation skills.

Another laid-back island in the heart of Bangkok: taxi (from MRT Klong Toey or BTS Bang Na) to Wat Khlong Toey Nok at the port entrance, then take the local ferry across to Bang Krachao.

Restaurants: If you like the Mango Tree, other farang-friendly restaurants to consider are Ban Chiang (Thanon Surasak off Silom, BTS Surasak) and Tummy Yummy, soi Tonson (nearest BTS Chitlom or Phloenchit)

And if you want to pick and mix rather than dining in a formal restaurant, don't overlook the food courts in department stores like Central Chidlom.

Skip Khao sarn-just overloud and sky-high prices for what are said to be lethal cocktails. Good for US-teeneeweenee's who now can drink till death even <18. WE DONT CHECK ID.

IF you really, really want to join those streams of hapless mainland chinese and guided farang tourists around, just leave them after the boat landing and turnleft-follow road, see Banglamphu museum, go over bridge and get lost in the local alley-s along samsen rd.

Of course there are plenty of local buses-32,33 and a pale blue local style songhthaew from Nonthburi to Pak Kred. These buses start at sanam Luang-just round the corner from Khao Sarn.

MALLs: BKK must have 100+ of them and most are 13 in the dozen all the same. MBK is overpriced tourist junk, most vendors are Burmese (as they are along KhaoSarn). A little different is terminal 21-Asoke BTS stop, extremely cheap foodcourt on 5th floor and aims to have individual local entrepreneurs doing their own designs. ALL have fairly chap foodcourts-pay with card-turn in card when leaving and get refund.
That AS is mainly aiming Asean tourists with again mostly overpriced touristjunk and the same items you see everywhere anywhere in TH or BKK. But very few fake-labels.

Looks to me you are Asean? Avoid msg at Wat Pho-just a giant fatcory with mainly trainees-but somehow it got on the list of ''to do'' for Aseans. About any of the million plus local massageshops will also do. About any mall will also have them.

Around Sanam Luang is likely still fenced off with entry checks and ID needed.

For massage aiming m2M with garanteed extra's-check listing at thaimassageboy or travelgayasia.

Malls: Siam Paragon for oceanarium, and foodcort, MBK for good value shopping

Real native floating market is located outside of BKK - Ampawa, check route here https://goo.gl/maps/Uz38F4vdrRB2 Will be good idea to join visit Ampawa with visit to Mae Clong rairoad market - market what laid on the railroad track - "World dangerous market" :) They are located just in a few km.

If you will need assistance - pls check links below that text.

Wat Hualampong with live cows and Snake farm with 2 different shows, all within walking distance of each other and from Sam Yan MRT / subway / .

Don't forget morning stroll through Lumpini park ,  eye candy at the gym and if you have a luck you can even step on giant monitor lizzard , lots of them living there. 

Tawan any night would do, instead of 6-7 massages have 12-14.

Malls - wasting time unless you are avid shopper or want to see plenty of eye candy in A/C environment.

Wat Hualampong with live cows and Snake farm with 2 different shows, all within walking distance of each other and from Sam Yan MRT / subway / .

Don't forget morning stroll through Lumpini park ,  eye candy at the gym and if you have a luck you can even step on giant monitor lizzard , lots of them living there. 

Tawan any night would do, instead of 6-7 massages have 12-14.

Malls - wasting time unless you are avid shopper or want to see plenty of eye candy in A/C environment.

Definitely want to see some eye candy...Thanks for the suggestions

For shopping Malls,

1. Central World - biggest and not so overcrowded due to its size. Good selection of restaurants on 6F. It has 2 department stores Zen & Isetan.

2. EmQuartier - Stylish and relatively new. Consists of 3 buildings. Well designed open air water garden with a very good city view. Waterfall on outside building. Many popular cafes and restaurants on Helix quarter 6F-7F.

3. Siam Centre - if you are into fashion there are many Thai designers brand in this mall.

4. Siam Paragon- overcrowded with many tourists. Badly designed vast space without any concept.

Avoid it's overpriced overcrowded food court.

5. Terminal 21 - inexpensive and tasty food court but difficult to get seats.

Good selection of cheap T shirts.

6. MBK -Interesting place for newbie tourists. It's like a big indoor street market. You can buy/repair smartphone accessories on 4F. Good inexpensive food court on 6F. Taxi stand on the back next to Tops supermarket.

Buying international brand or designer goods in Bangkok should be avoided at all cost. 20%-100% markup due to import tax.

Just stick to locally designed products.

If you are interested in rooftop bars -

Sky bar @ Le Bua - Very popular because of its spectacular view but overcrowded due to movie Hangover 2 fame. 500B for a beer.

Strict dress code. Shorts and flip flops will be rejected. Even a plastic shopping bag not allowed. waiter/waitress not so friendly.

Moon bar @ Banyantree. Best roof top bar in Bangkok. Better atomosphere than Le Bua.

Waiter/waitress friendly and if your boy wear shorts they will lend floppy long black trousers. Hilarious.

Octave @ Marriott. shorts allowed.

Cloud 47@ United building Silom. Relatively inexpensive and casual with live band. 5 min walk from Sala Daeng BTS station.

Calypso is @ Asiatique so you cannot avoid going there if you are planning to see the ladyboy show. I would rather see Muay Thai show there to see muscular boys.

I like Siam Paragon and Central for movies, eye candy and sweets.

Also enjoy a night at Tawandang Beer Garden with friends to enjoy show, dinner, and beer.

Walk through Lumpini early evening.

Try one of the many cooking schools for a morning adventure followed by an afternoon real massage. Personally I like to pay a bit more and have at my room for two hours. Cleanliness, privacy, and more relaxed masseur are my reasons.

I like to try some of the more international restaurants (such as Indian Food) and sometimes I splurge at Somboon seafood place or similar such as Seafood Market/Restaurant in Sukhumvit.($$$)

I like to see something cultural/historical such as Jim Thompson or museum/exhibit.

MBK mall is a great place to spend a few hours. Lots of normal shops but also lots of market stalls to wander around. Food court has a huge variety and is good value.

Asiatique is definitely worth an evening. Lots of shops and restaurants. Not cheap but worth some time.

If you like Thai history/architecture but don't have days to go to the various sites a visit to the Ancient City (http://ancientcitygroup.net/ancientsiam/en) is worth half a day. It's worth getting a buggy there as it's a fairly large site if you aren't good walking in the heat. It's about 45 minutes out of Bangkok by taxi.

Siamroads.com have tour guides that are very knowledgeable and not expensive. Hiring one for a couple of days and having them create an itinerary from your preferences can let you see things you might not see otherwise. I hired a guide for 3 days on my first trip to Thailand and he saved me more money than he cost and organised transport and trips in such a way I saw fore in 3 days than I would have seen in 2 weeks if left to find my own way.

I had such a great trip in March, Im heading back to Bangkok but definitely need some suggestions on what to do and where to go...

Khoasan Rd on Friday and Saturday night...maybe Sunday night...

I will definitely go to Tawan Saturday since I missed it last trip

6-7 massages...Maybe more...

I plan to see a Calyso ladyboy show this trip..

Anywhere to see and ride an elephant in Bangkok?

I did visit the leaning Buddha and the Grand Palace already.

I went to a really nice sauna but definitely stood out and only found one hot type to shag with while I was there...

Thanks guys...

Maybe I should add that Im in my early 30s, African American...tall-I stand out in Bangkok wherever I go...love food, eye candy and generally having a good time....Im not so much into clubs as bars and I did enjoy Khoason Rd....

Message shops you may want to consider include Arena and Banana Club, both I've always found reliable.  Directions and details on the Travel Gay Asia site.

Have a drink in Dick's Cafe on Soi Twilight (opposite Dream Boys) and watch the world go by is a good way to get a feel for the neighborhood.  The message guys at Bonny's next door are friendly.

For shopping Malls,

1. Central World - biggest and not so overcrowded due to its size. Good selection of restaurants on 6F. It has 2 department stores Zen & Isetan.

2. EmQuartier - Stylish and relatively new. Consists of 3 buildings. Well designed open air water garden with a very good city view. Waterfall on outside building. Many popular cafes and restaurants on Helix quarter 6F-7F.

3. Siam Centre - if you are into fashion there are many Thai designers brand in this mall.

4. Siam Paragon- overcrowded with many tourists. Badly designed vast space without any concept.

Avoid it's overpriced overcrowded food court.

5. Terminal 21 - inexpensive and tasty food court but difficult to get seats.

Good selection of cheap T shirts.

6. MBK -Interesting place for newbie tourists. It's like a big indoor street market. You can buy/repair smartphone accessories on 4F. Good inexpensive food court on 6F. Taxi stand on the back next to Tops supermarket.

Buying international brand or designer goods in Bangkok should be avoided at all cost. 20%-100% markup due to import tax.

Just stick to locally designed products.

If you are interested in rooftop bars -

Sky bar @ Le Bua - Very popular because of its spectacular view but overcrowded due to movie Hangover 2 fame. 500B for a beer.

Strict dress code. Shorts and flip flops will be rejected. Even a plastic shopping bag not allowed. waiter/waitress not so friendly.

Moon bar @ Banyantree. Best roof top bar in Bangkok. Better atomosphere than Le Bua.

Waiter/waitress friendly and if your boy wear shorts they will lend floppy long black trousers. Hilarious.

Octave @ Marriott. shorts allowed.

Cloud 47@ United building Silom. Relatively inexpensive and casual with live band. 5 min walk from Sala Daeng BTS station.

Calypso is @ Asiatique so you cannot avoid going there if you are planning to see the ladyboy show. I would rather see Muay Thai show there to see muscular boys. If you like ladyboy show, Alcazar in Pattaya is the best ladyboy show in Thailand.

To access Asiatique there are free shuttle boat from Saphan Takshin but prepare to queue 30 min. amongst selfie obsessed mainland Chinese tourists. If you like mango try mango ice cream at MangoTango Asiatique, less crowded than its Siam Square branch.

Restaurants- you can get 50% discount at Eatigo.com - discount restaurants booking site. Particularly good value for hotel lunch/dinner buffet at Sukhotai, Marriott, Crowne Plaza, Le Meridian hotel etc.

Thanks for all this info....It was orderly and I was able to look everything up...Will definitely try some of your suggestions...

Guest McGarty

Maybe I should add that Im in my early 30s, African American...tall-I stand out in Bangkok wherever I go...love food, eye candy and generally having a good time....Im not so much into clubs as bars and I did enjoy Khoason Rd....

you were born in 1981 which would clearly make you mid-30's