forky123

Uber in Thailand

Has anyone used Uber in Thailand with a Thai mobile number/SIM card?

I tend to buy a Thai SIM card when I go to LoS rather than pay astronomic charges. Does anyone else do this and use Uber? Do you have to set up a new account or how easy is it to change numbers for your holiday? Any information appreciated.

Yes, I used Uber with Thai SIM. Great service! I pay cash to the driver.

From Don Muang airport to Raya Surawong, I paid 420 baht

From Babylon sauna to Raya Surawong, I paid 50 baht

You don't have to create a new account. Your usual account works with the Thai SIM.

I'm going to be in Chiang Mai. Not been there before but a few reviews of the Guest House have people with issues getting back there at night so I'm hoping to use Uber (or another app if more appropriate).

While it often is difficult up here to get a songteaw or tuk tuk late at night, you shouldn't have any problems with hailing an Uber ride (although, admittedly, I have little experience doing that after 1AM or so).  It seems that a lot of the Uber drivers are doing it after regular jobs to make some extra money so they're available just about anytime (especially at night).

Had some issues with Uber drivers in BKK: not best routes were chosen and complete lost in sois, although I gave them a phone with Thai speaking people at the other end (I visited some remote spas). Or maybe it was a business strategy to continue the trip?

Perhaps rides in other direction - to well-known hotels or malls - would be better. One of those ladies take cash from me for paying a toll, then creatively add it to invoice as well.

The decision next time was to use a taxi, but firstly checking the price at Uber and Grab. Worked well.

Ive paid less than 50baht use bus from don mueang to mocit and mrt from mocit to silom...

How did you do that, did you take a regular bus from outside the airport? The airport bus is 30 baht, so that plus the MRT fare would be more than 50 baht (not by much though).

Lol yeah, its the same to compare taxi vs train.... why not say i walked 30miles from dmk to silom for free lol

I understand your sarcasm but time wise depending on traffic train option  may turn out to be the same like taxi.

This comes from somebody who just recently  suffered 70 minutes crossing of Saphan Taksin bridge by bus, taxi would be the same, in meantime at least 14 BTS trains passed by in the same direction  !

I did only spend 30min in taxi to get from dmk to silom, it was around 10pm, and journey from silom to dmk otw back was about 40min at 2pm. I wouls definitely avoid taxi/uber/bus during rush hour. Had a bad exp myself wanted to go to one of the southern train station by taxi at 8am, end up paying 70 bath just to get to nearest bts.

To me, the real advantage of using an APP for a car is that it totally removes the "negotiating" part from the process... which is very important to me.

Although I use uber/Lyft often in the USA, I found GRAB to be better in thailand, and have used it in Bangkok and Chiang Mai - always been happy EXCEPT for a DMK - Pattaya trip - the app quoted me 2100THB the driver insisted on 2900... when I complained to grab, they blew me off.