paborn

There are other bars!

By the way, what Buddhist holiday is it. My calendar has Oct. 23 as Chulalongkorn day ( King Rama V - the great ) but, I can't find any other holiday.

Apparently, the last day of Buddhist Lent. Not a non-working day so it doesn’t show up in holiday listings.

This holiday is called 'ork phansa' or coming out of the rain retreat for the monks. Devotees flocking to temples to make merit.

In Pattaya this evening everything was quiet. I walked past Boyztown, almost all bars closed, saw a few staff outside BBB, and surprisingly a solitary recalcitrant boy in white brief outside Toyboys, and the interior lit but devoid of people(didn't bother to enquire what that was all about) . All the bars at Jomtian complex were closed and some Khmer lads could be found loitering at the Jomtian beach promenade. However massage shops remain open with few foot traffic. Surprisingly the guys were also not active online. I guess they're giving due respect to the holiday.

I thought I was convinced to start carrying it. But, if I have a copy and a photo and carry an expired passport I doubt I'll be in real trouble.  Besides, in all these reports, across a number of sources, the Thai passport checks are aimed sadly perhaps, at dark-skinned travelers as the crackdown is actually against African migrants.

I would never carry an expired passport. I know why you are doing it but the average Thai Police man will look at it, not understand and could cause you endless grief.

Current thinking is a photocopy of it and of the visa will suffice. Even the Police in Pattaya said this was sufficient last year.

Screw boy, Jupiter and Moonlight were open despite Buddhist non-alcohol day on Wednesday night.

I walk past Patpong, Patpong2 there were only few bars open.

Screw boys was open.

I crossed to Suriwong and found Soi Twilight totally dark like a ghost town.

One barker was shouting in front of the soi “ boy show” and he was there for Screwboys.

He said to me all the bar here closed today only Screwboys open over there pointing the direction.

It’s pretty good idea he is redirecting all ill informed tourists visiting Twilight to Screwboys. One of my friend went to Dreamboys Tuesday night to see a regular, there were only 10 boys from 9 -10pm while my friend was there and he was the only customer. The drink price 500.

I walk to Moonlight, I asked if the bar was open and the staff said it is. Also as they are not serving alcohol the drink price is only 200 baht instead of 350.

Jupiter was open but no alcohol served. The place was very dark, only lighting the stage.

There were around 20 boys and 30 customers.

As soon as I told my friend at Jupiter, Moonlight is only charging 200 today he went to check Moonlight. There were apparently a fair number of customers but only Three models turned up last night.

The bars need to find a way to keep the patrons sitting in their seats and ordering more drinks before leaving to go to another bar and buying drinks from their competition.

With these high drink prices, the bars are encouraging their customers not to buy drinks for the staff and to stay out of their bar and use the apps.

The times are changing and we need to stop looking at yesterday, it's gone. We need to focus on the now. Sure I had fun on the past but I'm living on the now and these are my good times.

New bars are opening, the apps make it easier to meet guys. I can be on my room, on a train or in a gogo bar and the apps are working their magic.

Sure I complain about the bar prices, but I find that I spend less and less time in the bars and more and more time with the guys thanks to the smart phone apps.

So why do I complain about the outrageous drink prices? I guess because I would like to go to a gogo bar and have a drink with a hot guy. But then I can log onto grindr and have hot sex and massage with a thai guy that works massage all for 500 BAHT, and he will come to me...

So I complain because I want a perfect world. I know I can't have it all, but how will the bar owners know what I want if I don't let them know?

I think that good things will result in the breakup of soi twilight. This pic below os a good example of that.

Sorry, I don't get this. The photo is of dancers at Moonlight. Moonlight in the spot where Jupiter opened in 2000 - 18 years ago and thrived. Jupiter moved and Moonlight appears to be thriving. All this began while Twilight was fine. In fact, Jupiter began when Twilight was at its peak. Dreamboys was open on two floors with two sets of staff. I don't get the point.

I think that good things will result in the breakup of soi twilight. 

I can't see what good can be achieved by breaking up soi Twilight. Nobody is arm twisted to frequent is , even less to buy drinks.

Sure they may be expensive for some but nobody is suggesting Silom Centre or Siam Paragon should close because merchandise and restaurants there are expensive.

I can't see what good can be achieved by breaking up soi Twilight. Nobody is arm twisted to frequent is , even less to buy drinks.

Sure they may be expensive for some but nobody is suggesting Silom Centre or Siam Paragon should close because merchandise and restaurants there are expensive.

Also, there is nothing that can't be had at a lower price elsewhere. Maybe not a Gucci item, but damn good quality at less cost. But, the bars give us companionship, entertainment, and companions to take home - It's been said a million times but the prices in the bars factor this in - have a drink in a Trump hotel and compare. 

What o get from it is that the owner or manager knows that the customers are price conscious and offers a reduced price for the 2nd drink. That is not common practice in bangkok gay gogo bars.

That is the good point and we can only hope that soi will follow Moonlight example. On another hand BoyzBoyzBoyz Pattaya

have warning ' 1 drink 1 show ' to prevent freeloaders from overstaying their welcome I guess 

I think that good things will result in the breakup of soi twilight. This pic below os a good example of that.

With all due respect, all this picture shows is that Moonlight has a very savvy social media manager - something the other bars may wish to learn from. The photo shoots, live streaming certainly keeps this bar in my mind ahead of others and allows me to appreciate the stars at my leisure when I may be otherwise distracted inside the actual venue. It also means they cultivate an international fanbase who will ensure a visit during Bangkok travels than relying on the luck of walk ins.

Perhaps instead of only considering drink prices, we should think about how the Soi twilight bars can equally raise their game.

Perhaps instead of only considering drink prices, we should think about how the Soi twilight bars can equally raise their game.

that is more for their owners an managers than for us although we can help , among other things by  contributing to various fora.

But in that business sometimes keeping low profile may help to extend longevity.

With all due respect, all this picture shows is that Moonlight has a very savvy social media manager - something the other bars may wish to learn from. The photo shoots, live streaming certainly keeps this bar in my mind ahead of others and allows me to appreciate the stars at my leisure when I may be otherwise distracted inside the actual venue. It also means they cultivate an international fanbase who will ensure a visit during Bangkok travels than relying on the luck of walk ins.

Exactly!  Get a media presence through Facebook, Instagram, etc. Take some good photos and off we go. Frankly, despite all the hype and furor I still think it's likely I'll find my keeper ( at least for a few days ) in one of the calmer bars. MY opinion, but a glossy photo won't change it.

I know arena is one that wont post their masseur's picture on the website. The reason given is that the masseur prefer to be discreet, and i can definitely understand that especially when most of them have day job and dont really want their friends and family to know. I guess one can argue maybe more masseurs will be willing to work if its more discreet.

that is more for their owners an managers than for us although we can help , among other things by contributing to various fora.

But in that business sometimes keeping low profile may help to extend longevity.

Yes I wasn’t suggesting that “we” forum members fix the bars’ business models lol. Just that the bars should know their own identity and strengths, focus on their target audience and do it well. That makes for happy customers too. Fully agree discreet low key bars have their own charms, that is a service area in itself which can either be done excellently or shabbily. And never under estimate strict captains who keep the boys in line too, they are essential to any successful operation.

a474a has written some nice reviews of Golden Cock ( my old haunt ) has anyway been to Super A or New Nature Boys recently?

Because of this forum I went to Golden Cock last Saturday for the first time ever. There were only 3 boys, one looked in his late thirties or even fourties. The other two weren't excactly my type either.  I guess I have to come back in high season to understand what is so attractive in that bar. I left the bar soon.

One other tip from this forum, Zy Massage, turned out to be successfull. Beautiful twinks.

I did not try to convert anybody as obviously it's up to person to decide what he considers safer, to carry passport or to keep in in the safe but just explained why I prefer to carry mine

I do the same. I want it with me all the time. I don't trust hotel safes. Your passport is essential. I carry my phone also all the time.

Out of about 6 years in Thailand:

Carrying my passport with me for 1 year. Being asked by police to see it: 0 times. Having it stolen: 1 time.

Keeping my passport in my room for 5 years. Being asked by police to see it: 0 times. Having it stolen: 0 times.

(It was Songkran 2013, and I had both my wallet and my passport wrapped in plastic bags. The thief probably wanted to steal my wallet. And that would have been the better outcome for both of us.)