ggobkk

Government closing bars

I heard the same. Apparently this news isn’t fully confirmed yet. Behind this is again the same farang-hating idiot, Anutin, who caused a furore over his premature announcement of quarantine orders. 

So far he has only said that he will propose the closure of bars and clubs to Prayut on Monday. Somehow this has been interpreted by boys and mamasans as “all bars are definitely closing on Monday” and thrown them into a complete panic. The truth of the matter is, we have to await Monday to see how Prayut reacts and if they can in fact impose this across small bars and big super clubs alike or there will be exceptions. Note also they see this as being enforced on a zone-by-zone basis. 

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/286064

Even if the government will not close the bars the situation now is very dispersing very few customers and I assume many boys will go back to their countries or local homes in Thailand, there is no point for them to stay in the bars if there are no customers.

4 hours ago, JackR said:

Oh god. I'm supposed to be travelling there next Sunday. I hope this is just another false flag.

Is anyone able to provide any reports on what the bars are like currently?

First thing is to check if you will be allowed into Thailand.

If yes, the phone apps will no doubt have boys.   

Just now, jason1975 said:

I believe the Thai government will really close bars. The Bangkok Post reported on this in this morning’s Sunday newspaper front page.

To be clear - it's just something that Anutin (not the most stable of gents) has said he will propose on Monday.  It has not been imposed yet.  

Whether Prayut et al. go along with it and then exactly what it will look like will be important.  If they toss the sacred coin and decide to close venues, how they actually roll that out will be important.  The Bangkok Post article says the committee will specify venues to be closed "zone by zone."  

Who really knows what that will mean.  

There are lots of possible outcomes.  Maybe Prayut et al. reject the idea (for now).  Maybe they close all bars and restaurants.  (Personally, I doubt that.)  Maybe they limit it to the designated "Entertainment Zones," which might include Patpong and Soi Cowboy and Nana, but maybe not Soi 4???  But obviously that leaves out a lot.  Maybe they close all nightclubs to pick up Thonglor/Ratchada.  Maybe restaurants can stay open.  Lucky Boys serves food.  Hmmmm.  

At this point, it seems that consulting the Sacred Oracle of Tibet is about as reliable as any method for as predicting what any government policy will be in day or so, particularly this one.

Yes it's a possibility.  If you would otherwise go out to a bar or club, maybe more of a reason to do it if tonight might be the last night for a while. That's my plan. :) 

Separately, FYI - Maybe people have already seen - Mahanakorn Rooftop closed for thorough cleaning after an employee tested positive.

Yes I am definitely hitting the bars tonight just in case bars are closed on Monday. I shall be spending time at Lucky Boys to watch the show with side trips after that to Freshboys and Screwboys.

shall all forum members in BKK congregate at @paulsf usual spot tonight before heading off to our respective favourite bars?

@paulsf is either at red dragon or hot male. Please let us know in advance where you will be. But me thinks the Vietnamese freshboys waiters will ambush and keep you at red dragon.

9pm?

34 minutes ago, paulsf said:

I’ll be at Hot Male to see who is around.  Then go from there.   I went to FreshBoys last night.  Decent crowd. A few offs.   
but crowd and boys on stage all in good moods making for a fun night.    

Alrighty! See you at Hot Male tonight.

From The Thaiger

PM: Nightlife stays open for business

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-cha announced he has rejected, for the time being, the suggestion from Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul to temporarily close the country’s massive nightlife industry. Anutin Charnvirakul said yesterday the suggestion was one of several measures he and the Ministry of Public Health would bring up with the PM tomorrow.

But as social media exploded, fiercely divided both for and against the move, Prayut addressed reporters saying he did “not feel it [is] needed at this time.” But he added the situation will be reassessed at a later date if it worsens, and asked for the cooperation of business owners to take proper precautions to protect their customers and staff.

Many netizens expressed concern that closing the industry would mean tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people not only being laid off, but returning to their homes in rural Thailand, exposing the country’s significant (and especially vulnerable) elderly population to the disease, which is so far mainly in rural areas. The majority of workers in Thailand’s tens of thousands of nightclubs, bars, live music venues, massage parlours, karaoke clubs, pubs and other entertainment sites survive paycheck to paycheck, and would almost certainly be forced to return home to their families. Many are from Issan, in the rural Northeast of Thailand, which is the country’s poorest area and home to largest number of the vulnerable elderly.

Several venues, particularly in Bangkok, have been closed both due to suspected cases and as a precaution by owners. Many others have been shuttered by the downturn in business due to lack of tourists.

Other measures suggested by the Anutin and other ministry officials, such as moving Songkran later in the year to avoid hundreds of thousands of people returning home in April, further travel restrictions and stopping more private and sporting events, will be discussed at regular meetings tomorrow.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/pm-nightlife-stays-open-for-business

4 hours ago, jason1975 said:

@DivineMadman @anddy would you be free to drop by tonight?

unfortunately tonight not, but tomorrow. PM rejects the idea of closong bars "for the time being", but that "time being" of course can be 12 or 24 or 48 hours... lol

As for implementing measures "when it gets worse", then it's actually moore or less too late. Best analysis I found on this all is this:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

If they close bars, they should also be closing any other business that has customers packed in a tight space.   For example, certain food courts.

2 hours ago, anddy said:

unfortunately tonight not, but tomorrow. PM rejects the idea of closong bars "for the time being", but that "time being" of course can be 12 or 24 or 48 hours... lol

As for implementing measures "when it gets worse", then it's actually moore or less too late. Best analysis I found on this all is this:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Oh darn. I cannot meet you tomorrow night because I have to fly back singapore last minute tomorrow.