ggobkk

Government closing bars

From Bangkok Post

188 new cases brings total to nearly 600

Thailand reported 188 new coronavirus infections on Sunday, its largest daily increase, taking the total to 599 cases, a senior Public Health Ministry official said.

The majority of the new infections are connected to a previous cluster of cases from Lumpini boxing stadium, ministry spokesman Taweesin Wisanuyothin told a news conference.

Seven are in serious condition, he said, while one has already recovered.

"Most of the new cases were found in Bangkok and were among young people who continue to have social activities, which can lead to more infections," Dr Taweesin said, urging the public to stay home.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1884025/thailand-reports-188-new-coronavirus-cases-brings-total-to-nearly-600

From Bangkok Post

Migrants let through 'shut' checkpoints

Thousands of migrant workers from Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam returned to their home countries after authorities reopened land borders which had been ordered shut to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The government's temporary ban on cross-border travel between Thailand and neighbouring countries failed, as it was forced to reopen shuttered crossings to allow the growing number of migrant workers which had gathered at border checkpoints to cross, out of fear of causing a riot.

Most of the migrants worked in Bangkok, but decided to leave after the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration ordered businesses -- including shopping malls -- to close until April 12 as part of its effort to urge the public to stay home during the outbreak. Under the closure order, only supermarkets and food retailers at other markets are allowed to open, and restaurants can only offer take-outs to its patrons.

According to Bangkok Metropolitan Administration estimates, about 90% of those who left Bangkok over the weekend were migrant workers.

In Chiang Rai, the border was reopened after a group of about 100 workers from Myanmar arrived at the Mae Sai checkpoint -- which links to Tachileik in Myanmar -- only to find the border has been closed.

"We must go home, or we will starve to death in Bangkok," said a 28-year-old woman in the group who was recently laid-off due to the shutdown.

Their insistence forced the governor and immigration officials to grant them exemptions and allowed them to cross the border into Myanmar.

In Tak, more than 4,200 Myanmar workers were allowed to cross back into their country through the checkpoint at Mae Sot district.

Meanwhile, the atmosphere was tense at Sa Kaeo's Aranyaprathet checkpoint near Cambodia, where police had to prevent more than 400 Cambodian workers from protesting against the border closure.

A bus terminal in the Nakhon Phanom Municipality was also packed with stranded workers from Laos and Vietnam. They were later allowed to pass over the 3rd Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge to Khammouane province in Laos.

Meanwhile, Thai workers returning home from Bangkok are being told to go into 14-day self-isolation.

The situation eased after Thai and Cambodian authorities decided to reopen the border temporarily to let the workers through.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1884830/migrants-let-through-shut-checkpoints

Today's Bangkok Post carried a few articles that reflect a bit of optimism. The daily reported count of new infections was 127. Although that in itself is nothing to celebrate, the number doesn't indicate exponential growth and is generally in line with the last five or so days. Another article shines light on the success of Lampang province that has managed to keep the virus at bay.

=============================================================

From Bangkok Post

Tham Luang hero defends Lampang from coronavirus flood

LAMPANG: Residents in this northern province have taken to social media in praise of their governor for his well-planned fight against the coronavirus. No infections have yet been reported anywhere in Lampang.

"The success so far is because of trust and confidence in him to move the plan forward in one direction," a user named Ungde Amin commented on the Lampang13 Facebook page that posted an interview with governor Narongsak Osottanakorn on Sunday.

"He shows leadership and the measures are well prepared," Pun Pun wrote.

"I envy people in Lampang," added Wassana Wisassai.

The interview drew almost 3,000 comments and 57,000 shares on social media.

Mr Narongsak was known for his decisive command of the international operation to rescue 12 young footballers and their coach trapped inside the Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district two years ago, when he was the governor of Chiang Rai. He was later transferred to Phayao and then Lampang.

Rescuers and others who participated in the cave operation in Chiang Rai have commended him for clear directions, decisiveness and leadership, saying he effectively coordinated all the units from various agencies under his command.

The country has recorded 1,651 coronavirus cases in 61 provinces as of Tuesday, but Lampang is not one of them. 

The Provincial Public Health Office in Lampang on Tuesday denied reports on social media that one person in the province had been infected with Covid-19.

Mr Narongsak called an informal meeting with all officials in the province on Jan 23 when the Chinese government decided to lock down Wuhan, the epicentre of the virus at the time.

He said the lockdown of the Chinese city signalled the seriousness of the disease, and the province started preparing immediately. 

"We closely monitored the situation in Wuhan," the governor said in the interview with local online media.

The province has prepared medical facilities for health personnel and patients, including 140 respirators and 10 negative pressure rooms. It has assigned 50 hospital beds for virus-infected patients and could  expand that number to 400.

"Health personnel are the most important group," he said. "If they fall ill, nobody will take care of people in the province."

The province has also made preparations in the field, recruiting health volunteers and villagers to respond to any outbreak in the province. 

"We have designed the process to prepare for the situation and fine-tuned it with people on the ground," he said.

The governor on Monday said he did not expect the province to remain virus-free but was confident that the preparations were adequate to take the local fight to the pandemic.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1890230/tham-luang-hero-defends-lampang-from-coronavirus-flood

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thailand reports 127 new coronavirus cases, 1 death Tuesday

Thailand reported 127 new coronavirus cases and one death on Tuesday, a health official said.

On Monday the country reported 136 new infections and two deaths.

Tuesday's announcement raises the number of confirmed infections in Thailand to 1,651 since the country's first case was reported in January. Ten people who tested positive for the coronavirus have died. 

Bangkok topped the list of confirmed cases with 796, followed by Nonthaburi (79), Phuket (55) and Yala (48), permanent secretary for public health Sukhum Karnchanapimai told a press briefing at the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1890170/thailand-reports-127-new-coronavirus-cases-1-death-tuesday

From Khaosod English

Sex Workers Suffer Under Virus Shutdown

BANGKOK — Anna, a 33-year-old sex worker, said she had no income for the past two weeks since Pattaya’s Walking Street was told to shut down per a government’s order to contain the coronavirus outbreak. She has about 11,000 baht left.

Of those savings, 7,000 baht will have to go to rent, electricity, and water bills.

“For short time [sex service] I used to charge 2,000. That’s for one to two hours. If it’s longer than five hours, I charge 5,000,” Anna, who identified herself as a transgender, said by phone Friday. “Now there’s no short time, long time, or social media appointment at all.”

Anna is one of an estimated of 100,000 sex workers who are expected to be among the hardest hit under the business closure brought about by the coronavirus pandemic. They can’t apply for government compensation for “informal” workers either, since their work is not considered legitimate under the law, despite their ubiquitous presence around the country.

Surang Janyam, director of an NGO that assists sex workers in Bangkok and Pattaya, warned that the lockdown could prove to be a disaster for tens of thousands of people working in the sex tourism industry.

“My tears dropped on March 17. It’s not just about the dangerous pandemic but we could not prepare our hearts for what’s coming. I don’t know how they will make a living from now … and they have no welfare” Surang from Service Workers in Group Foundation said.“I cried the day the lights at Patpong turned dark.”

In Pattaya, where an estimate 50,000 sex workers are now out of work due to the government measures to shutdown nightlife district, many have since returned to their home provinces, said Anna, who hailed from Loei province.

The sex worker said she doesn’t want to return to her home province due to the stigma attached to not just sex workers, but the perception among the rural locals that anyone returning from the cities must be infected by coronavirus.

Even in Pattaya itself, sex workers are facing additional stigma because they are thought to be possible spreader of coronavirus.

“Hair stylists, cloth vendors, and even food sellers, do not want to be near me,” Anna said.

Anna tried, but failed, to seek 5,000 baht monthly assistance promised by the government, since sex work is not listed as one of the professions in the online application form. Although prostitution can be found across Thailand, the profession remains illegal under Thai laws.

“Pattaya used to never sleep. Now it’s asleep,” she said.

Bangkok’s Soi Cowboy, a major red light district in Bangkok with 1,000 plus sex workers, also went silent after the are was shut down on March 17.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/04/04/no-job-no-compensation-sex-workers-suffer-under-virus-shutdown/

6 hours ago, reader said:

Anna tried, but failed, to seek 5,000 baht monthly assistance promised by the government, since sex work is not listed as one of the professions in the online application form

uhm, if it's not listed, then why not click any other? There may be some that maybe even somewhat similar, like massage or whatever else.... if that help is for informal workers, then there is no or not much proof anyway these people can produce, so just make something up. That would just be my guess for a possible solution, not knowing the details of the program and the application process, obviously.

On 3/21/2020 at 4:13 PM, ggobkk said:

In the USA, the President is one, among many, who believes the coronavirus will go away with the onset of warm weather. 

The president should listen to this excellent podcast.   Since he obviously has learning difficulties, listen to it many times. 

#102 – Michael Osterholm, Ph.D.: COVID-19—Lessons learned, challenges ahead, and reasons for optimism and concern https://peterattiamd.com/michaelosterholm/

In the evening White House Covid19 briefings, no one has captured America's imagination more than Dr.Anthony Fauci, who has been director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984. He consistently corrects Trump's statements that he believes represent bad science and then goes on to describe why with a language and style that people can easily grasp. He has emerged as the nation's most respected authority on he subject, championing proven mitigation practices such a hand-washing and social distancing.

He first became known in the mid-1980's for his work during the HIV AIDS crisis.  His presence on the national stage has given Americans an authoritative yet folksy voice of reason. You can watch him here setting things straight after the president promoted a possible virus cure.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fauci-disputes-trump-on-coronavirus-treatment-drugs/vi-BB11vSjT

On 4/6/2020 at 2:41 AM, vinapu said:

I think many of us are 

Personally I think a visit to Thailand or other South-East-Asian countries is not realistic for 2020 anymore. The thing will only be over when there is either herd immunity or a vaccination. To acchieve herd immunity and at the same time keep the curve so low that the intenisive care units are not overloaded takes a year in the best scenario. So a vaccination is likely to come first but that will not be this year, at least not widely available.

So what I do in the meantime is to plan trips in the sense that I read about places I want to see, read hotel ratings, reread the Philippine travel reports on this forum, plan routes, but don't book anything yet.

13 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Personally I think a visit to Thailand or other South-East-Asian countries is not realistic for 2020 anymore. The thing will only be over when there is either herd immunity or a vaccination. To achieve herd immunity and at the same time keep the curve so low that the intenisive care units are not overloaded takes a year in the best scenario.

I'm also getting slightly less optimistic about 2020.   

If we presume the numbers of cases and deaths for Thailand are not fiddled, the infection rate is very low.   But Thailand is locking down already, so it seems they are not going for herd immunity from infection.   They are not going to have herd immunity until a vaccine has been deployed.    

So if Thailand is trying to kick out the virus, rather than go for herd immunity, they are hardly going to want loads of tourists from countries with COVID arriving.   

Obviously after a few more weeks with zero tourism income and a very slow economy in other sectors, there will be pressure to open up again.   So there will be a conflict between the health strategy and economic requirements.

On the other hand, I confidently predict we would be allowed to holiday in, for example, Sweden later in the year.   They seem to follow a totally different strategy for Mr Xi's virus.   Sweden just doesn't appeal quite as much as a holiday destination.

Another concern is the fact that insurance companies have declared Covid-19 as a declared event making it impossible to claim in the event of illness or detainment whilst on holiday.

I'm certainly hoping to get a visit in before the end of the year but unless the virus really peters out, I'm doubtful too.

2 hours ago, Boy69 said:

2020 is lost, the Covid-19 is still out of control. I am planning my next trip not before the middle of next year.

Is life worth living  if one must wait till mid of next year for his next Thai trip ? I hope by mid of this year we will have our first post-Covid19 trip report on the forum 

14 hours ago, z909 said:

So if Thailand is trying to kick out the virus, rather than go for herd immunity, they are hardly going to want loads of tourists from countries with COVID arriving.

The "going for herd immunity"-strategy is limited by the health system, one limiting factor is the number of intensive care units. You don't want the number of people needing intensive care to be higher than the available units. If you consider this, for example for germany there is a modelling that shows that R0 = 1.25 is still too high (in german: https://www.dgepi.de/assets/Stellungnahmen/Stellungnahme2020Corona_DGEpi-21032020-v2.pdf), and it would still take at least one year until heard immunity.

That means all over 2020 there must be some kind of restrictions, hopefully not that strict as we have them now in many countries, and I fear that free travel between countries is the last thing we will get back.

Everyone is hoping for the vaccination!

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

Is life worth living  if one must wait till mid of next year for his next Thai trip ? I hope by mid of this year we will have our first post-Covid19 trip report on the forum 

Our health is more important than the next trip to Thailand so yes life is worth living till we can allow ourselves fly again to Thailand. Don't fool yourself you won't be able travel anywhere by mid of this year.

3 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Everyone is hoping for the vaccination!

Well of course, myself included.  

I would hope they take a few more risks and start each phase of trials at an earlier stage than would be normal.  

This should be justifiable, as the risk of the trials has to be compared with the risk of not having a vaccine, which is higher than normal.    I also hope they find some better treatments.    

However, expert opinion says next year will be the earliest that we might see a vaccine, possibly even later.   Then they need to manufacture and deploy a few million doses.