TotallyOz

Are the Gay Bars in Bangkok Open?

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

when Blue House become Helios they stopped having stuff sitting at front, one needed to go inside to see what's on the offer

I go past Helios every day.  I've never seen anyone go in or out, or the door open. 

Blue House used to occupy the shop immediately next to The Flamingo hotel, although I'm not quite sure if they had 1 or 2 units.  There is now another business located between Helios (closed) and The Flamingo (definitely closed).

Here's an old photo of Blue House, off the internet.  I recognise Lek, who I met several times on various trips.

Bild01b.640x480.jpg

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

when Blue House become Helios they stopped having stuff sitting at front, one needed to go inside to see what's on the offer

Helios Massage (the former Blue House Massage) is (or was?) the only gay massage shop in Pattaya (that I know of) where every room comes with a shower, and an aircon, and a lockable door. The boys were lined up in the reception room and all questions about their individual skills were answered. This luxury makes up for the little inconvenience of having to go in to see the guys, in my opinion. 

Telephone Bar in dire straits
Chayanggurn Ardam, 54, the owner of Telephone Bar in Silom Soi 4, said he has now reached breaking point. His bar was heavily affected by the "service venue" ban in the first round during which he estimates he lost 90% of his customers, nearly all of whom were foreigners.

"When the border closed, everything started to collapse," he said. A shareholder of this 34-year-old bar decided not to carry on, which left him in a vulnerable position.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2064135/round-2-hits-just-as-hard

2 hours ago, hank75 said:

Telephone Bar in dire straits
Chayanggurn Ardam, 54, the owner of Telephone Bar in Silom Soi 4, said he has now reached breaking point. His bar was heavily affected by the "service venue" ban in the first round during which he estimates he lost 90% of his customers, nearly all of whom were foreigners.

"When the border closed, everything started to collapse," he said. A shareholder of this 34-year-old bar decided not to carry on, which left him in a vulnerable position.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2064135/round-2-hits-just-as-hard

This is very sad. But surely the bar is not 34 years old - unless it started in a different location. I thought it opened in Soi 4 around 1993. I certainly remember visiting what friends told me was a new bar in Soi 4 with an interesting concept around that time. But memory can play tricks! 

Around that time one of the barmen was Khun An. He later left the bar to live in London. There he met Khun Tee and the two returned half a dozen years ago to open the excellent Le Table de Tee off Soi Saladaeng. Sadly that lovely little restaurant was one of the first casualties of the pandemic.

14 hours ago, Patanawet said:

Telephone's front page website says "Where friends have been meeting since 1987".

Gentlemen, let me help. The bar is now open but before that, the plan started as a brainchild of work with some local gays talking on the telephone. Back then, there was no cell phone. So, the initial planning started with land lines. They were having a few drinks during the calls and thus, the famous bar started. Luckily, they didn't start talking much later as it could have been called the Cellular Lounge or the iLounge.

21 hours ago, Patanawet said:

Telephone's front page website says "Where friends have been meeting since 1987".

I stand corrected. Thank you.

I have many happy memories of meeting up with friends using the old style 1920s telephones along the bar and on the tables. It was fun just to watch someone's reaction when their telephone rang. I found that most first looked around the bar to see who would have a receiver at their ear before answering!

In the mid-1990s I had a client who visited the Oriental Hotel once month. Each time I had to have breakfast on the terrace with him. The hotel had quite a few cute waiters at that time, but this one was special. I noticed that he smiled at me as he passed our table on my first visit. Every time thereafter, we would smile at each other, occasionally winking, but I never had the courage to go up and chat with him.

After my client's project was complete, I popped into Telephone Bar for a final drink before flying home the next evening. Who should be sitting at the bar but the cute waiter from the Oriental. I went up to say Hi and he gave me a very, very long mouth to mouth kiss. He gestured that i should sit with him. End result was that we had a lovely chat and it seemed he was very interested in coming back to the hotel with me. As I got up to leave, he asked if Id like him to join me. Of course, I said yes. He then pulled my head gently to him and whispered in my ear 20,000 baht!!!

Oh well. I suppose some who stay at the Oriental can afford that kind of tip! I did not even try to negotiate. I smiled and said goodbye. Never did see him again.

In answer to the original question, here is a sort of copy of a message that I posted elsewhere, regarding a visit to Silom soi4 last Sunday.  Sorry if these are not the sort of bars you were enquiring about.

I visited soi4 on Sunday night. It was quiet with the following establishments open:-

Balcony -- with a few terrace tables occupied and half a dozen customers inside.
Telephone -- with few customers.
Connections -- quite busy for a small bar
Pride -- several customers.
Bas Bar -- open.
Banana terrace and Banana Room Club (upstairs) -- apparently open
Fork and Cork -- open.
'G's German Thai Restaurant.
Adam Massage -- open with staff sitting outside.
Tattoo business above the now closed Welcome bar. (side shutter open)

Closed --

Strangers Bar
Jupiter
Welcome Bar
Sports on 4
Hugs Bar

I went to Balcony and was shown a rough of a new Vegetarian page for their menu. 30% discount on all food.

I was told that the entire soi was busy on Friday night. Quieter on Saturday and Sunday.
Coming Friday, is the first day of the official three day Chinese New Year holiday.

Let's hope for a busy and happy long weekend.

"As expected, the Thai government has given the green light for Bangkok’s nightlife to re-open with some  degree of normality.

At a meeting on  Monday afternoon, it was confirmed that bars, pubs and restaurants can now open until 11pm and serve alcohol. Live music is also permitted but dancing is not allowed.

The move comes as the Thai capital and surrounding areas were among a number of provinces to be downgraded from a ‘High Controlled Area (red) to Controlled Area (orange).

Other provinces downgraded to the Controlled Area include Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Tak, Ratchaburi, Samut Songkhram and Nakhon Pathom.

Only Samut Sakhon remains under the highest level of restrictions, with bars and pubs there ordered to remain closed.

When the new measures will go into effect will depend on the provincial governor of each  province, with announcements due imminently. 

At the time of posting, the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority is yet to make an announcement on when the re-opening would come into effect, although it is expected bars and pubs  will  be able to re-open as  early as  Tuesday (23 Feb)."

Bangkok nightlife given green light to re-open as more restrictions eased nationwide - Thailand News - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa