Lucky

Skip Thailand, CDC Advises

• Members

Due to a rise in COVID cases, the Center for Disease Control is advising Americans to avoid travel to Thailand, New Zealand, and Hong Kong.

On Tuesday, New Zealand reported nearly 24,000 new cases, while Thailand reported nearly 19,000, according to the Bangkok Post. Under a new self-reporting system, Hong Kong had 43,000 new cases Tuesday, Reuters said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/03/08/cdc-travel-warning-new-zealand-thailand-hong-kong/

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2275643/18-943-new-covid-cases-69-more-deaths

Looking at the Bangkok Post article new infection rates have doubled in the last month from about 10K to 20K, but that's out of a population of 70M. Of course, there is always underreporting, but even counting that, I think this is still pretty good and small. Standard precautions apply. Hanging out in bars and other places with lots of people is going to be a lot more dangerous.

I'd be a lot more concerned about going to Hong Kong. They've been trying for the zero covid policy which always was going to fail, and now it is doing so rather disastrously. Today it reported 58,000 new cases on a population of only 7M. So 20x higher than Thailand. (depending upon how much under/mis-reporting there is in both places).

41 minutes ago, caeron said:

I'd be a lot more concerned about going to Hong Kong. .

I agree! 

Cases in the UK have shown a sharp increase this week - 120k Monday, 66k yesterday, but the hospitalisation and deaths is not nearly in line with those numbers (as compared to previous first and second waves in 2021). 

Population in UK now roughly 3/4 triple vaccinated and that is clearly having an impact on the (lack of) severity of Omicron. 

I have decided to go ahead with a trip to Thailand at the end of March. Fingers crossed!! 

8 hours ago, caeron said:

I'd be a lot more concerned about going to Hong Kong. They've been trying for the zero covid policy ....

which means zero herd immunity at end of day

7 hours ago, Milk78 said:

I have decided to go ahead with a trip to Thailand at the end of March. Fingers crossed!! 

have a nice trip, after all we got vaccinated in order not to be afraid.

Poland took 1 million  Ukrainian refugees in 1 week and somehow we don't hear about that country being levelled off by spike in cases and  neither  Poland nor Ukraine were particularly well vaccinated ( 60% if that much)

It's time to start living our lives with covid but without  lockdowns

10 hours ago, Milk78 said:

I am pretty sure you will enjoy!

If the country of your insurance has a travel warning against Thailand, insurances like to not pay a single Baht, so better read the smallprint of your insurance policy.

And don't forget the waterproof facemask for songkran :)