Lucky

Side Trips

• Members

Sure, I know it has been discussed before, but I would like to break up my Bangkok stay by taking a long weekend to see somewhere else. Convenience is a factor. Pattaya is one possibility, but I have been there so many times and find it tacky. What other possibilities exist? I have been to Chaing Mai and Phuket. Any ideas? Not sure that attractive guys will be a big attraction...

Maybe Ayutthaya? I think it's a pretty easy train ride from BKK.

Sukhothai is also nice but I think Bangkok Airways still has a monopoly on flights. 

Those are both historic places if you like old ruins. What sorts of things are you interested in doing? Hua Hin is a nice beach town not too far from Bangkok. Khao Yai is nice if you're looking for nature. 

• Members
15 hours ago, fedssocr said:

Maybe Ayutthaya? I think it's a pretty easy train ride from BKK.

Sukhothai is also nice but I think Bangkok Airways still has a monopoly on flights. 

Those are both historic places if you like old ruins. What sorts of things are you interested in doing? Hua Hin is a nice beach town not too far from Bangkok. Khao Yai is nice if you're looking for nature. 

Forgot to mention that I have been to Ayutthaya...as well as River Kwai. Hua Hin sounds promising...

27 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Forgot to mention that I have been to Ayutthaya...as well as River Kwai. Hua Hin sounds promising...

Sorry to add that I find Hua Hin incredibly boring!! I stayed for a week at the Hilton hotel which I really disliked - and I like most hotels I visit. Sadly the Hilton had been recommended by a good friend and I had prepaid for the week but I'll never return. Even the beach by the hotel is tiny! Is there anything really to see in Hua Hin apart from the railway station and the Centara Grand Hotel which used to be the old railway hotel?

When are you in Thailand? If in late December, Hua Hin can be quite chilly if the winter monsoon is blowing.

If you are here in early August, I would definitely get to Ubon Ratchathanee for the Candle Festival Parade on August 3. It's a stunning unique event with all the temples having artisans spend a month carving wax scenes on top of lorries and trucks. Unfortunately you have missed the amazing Dansai Ghost Festival which was in June this year. I had a fabulous time there a few years ago.

Sorry again I have little positive to add.

• Members

I loved the Millenium Hilton hotel on the Chao Praya river in Bangkok. Maybe a few nights there enjoying the river and its surroundings would be a good diversion. I could watch the boat traffic for hours.

4 hours ago, Lucky said:

I loved the Millenium Hilton hotel on the Chao Praya river in Bangkok. Maybe a few nights there enjoying the river and its surroundings would be a good diversion. I could watch the boat traffic for hours.

Or you could head downstream for the port and have a couple of nights in the Bangkok Treehouse in Bang Krachao (which is not in Bangkok but the next province along). Very laid back.

On 7/25/2023 at 4:47 PM, PeterRS said:

If you are here in early August, I would definitely get to Ubon Ratchathanee for the Candle Festival Parade on August 3. It's a stunning unique event with all the temples having artisans spend a month carving wax scenes on top of lorries and trucks. Unfortunately you have missed the amazing Dansai Ghost Festival which was in June this year. I had a fabulous time there a few years ago.

But keep in mind that for such popular festivals (elephant festival in Surin and monkey feeding in Lopburi and christmas stars in Nakhon Sawan as well) hotels can be booked out.

Some good ideas here. However, you've not been to Pattaya recently if you find it "tacky". Try staying in one of the North Pattaya hotels: Dusit is the the traditional choice but there are some brand new, very contemporary ones  available. Go to the top of Terminus 21, the newest mall, and look out. You won't see anything "tacky" but a replica of Singapore or Shanghai. Some of us may miss "tacky" Pattaya, though its remnants are still there in South Pattaya, itself under redevelopment near Pattaya Tai. 

Daddy415 is right about Koh Samui but I wasn't impressed by Charweng a few months ago, nor its beach. Try Lamai. Krabi's island beaches are immeasurably superior.

Number one for me remains- as I've often said- Chiang Rai. The best night market I've seen in Thailand and wonderful touring.... the Lanna temple in Chang Saen close to the Golden Triangle and, best of all, the Chinese village at Mae Salong....if you can cope with the drive up the mountain roads. If, like me you are attracted to border towns, try Mai Sai. Fascinating.

Depends just how far you would like to go, Khao Kho can be a nice area to relax for a few days, being up in the mountains it does get a bit cold so it may pay to take warm clothes or someone to cuddle up to. Nature wise there is some incredible views from up there as well as other things to see. 

7 hours ago, Londoner said:

Some good ideas here. However, you've not been to Pattaya recently if you find it "tacky". Try staying in one of the North Pattaya hotels: Dusit is the the traditional choice but there are some brand new, very contemporary ones  available. Go to the top of Terminus 21, the newest mall, and look out. You won't see anything "tacky" but a replica of Singapore or Shanghai. Some of us may miss "tacky" Pattaya, though its remnants are still there in South Pattaya, itself under redevelopment near Pattaya Tai. 

Daddy415 is right about Koh Samui but I wasn't impressed by Charweng a few months ago, nor its beach. Try Lamai. Krabi's island beaches are immeasurably superior.

Number one for me remains- as I've often said- Chiang Rai. The best night market I've seen in Thailand and wonderful touring.... the Lanna temple in Chang Saen close to the Golden Triangle and, best of all, the Chinese village at Mae Salong....if you can cope with the drive up the mountain roads. If, like me you are attracted to border towns, try Mai Sai. Fascinating.

Might I ask, what attracts you to border towns? To my mind they seem like they would be dull affairs, but I would be very happy to have my opinion improved.

9 hours ago, Londoner said:

If any of these Lanna destinations appeals, you mght want to look at the Mae Hong Son loop. Lots of picturesque mountain scenery and intersting small towns/villages.

If you want a quick getaway from Bangkok but think Pattaya to tacky for you, Ko Samet might be an option.

It is a tiny beach island, on the eastern seaboard, up to 3-4 hours ride from Bangkok.

There is no gay nightlife from what I am aware, but if, as you say, guys are not the huge attraction, it might suit you well.