Olddaddy

Gay farangs living on the breadline

If you’re asking me, I have blue cross blue shield from when I worked for the government. I’m eligible for Medicare, but I’m keeping my old insurance. Maybe not smart, I’m not sure. I’m still learning about Medicare.

Theyve always covered me overseas. But if I dropped them to use cheaper Medicare coverage, I would have to apply for another insurer that would cover me in Thailand.

3 hours ago, Shonen said:

I split the year between USA and Pattaya. I’m lonely in the USA, but I prefer the food and weather. It’s much more fun in Thailand, but might not be as much fun if full time.

I kept my health insurance in the USA, which I can use in Thailand (. Haven’t used it there yet).  It can be a little bit boring in Thailand at times. I filled much time furnishing my condo, playing pool, and enjoying the bars. Only drink on Saturday nights. Over drinking can be a problem for some.

This a good option , 6 months in each place and even better if you can work in your home country for 6 months at that time.

6 months in Thailand low season and 6 months in your home country sounds good 

On 8/19/2023 at 1:06 PM, fedssocr said:

probably because many older guys wouldn't want to have sex with themselves. But it's clear that there are as many different tastes out there as there are people.

1 hour ago, scott456 said:

What type of health insurance do you have? A U.S health insurance that covers treatments overseas?

35 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

This a good option , 6 months in each place and even better if you can work in your home country for 6 months at that time.

6 months in Thailand low season and 6 months in your home country sounds good 

Yeah, it’s sort of the safe way if one can afford it. I think my possessions possess me.

I can’t imagine getting rid of all my stuff I’ve accumulated through out my life. Maybe I’m too materialistic. Plus, I’m glad I still have my condo here in USA, it’s worth more.Had I sold it and moved to Thailand I might have blown that money by now.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Shonen said:

Yeah, it’s sort of the safe way if one can afford it. I think my possessions possess me.

I can’t imagine getting rid of all my stuff I’ve accumulated through out my life. Maybe I’m too materialistic. Plus, I’m glad I still have my condo here in USA, it’s worth more.Had I sold it and moved to Thailand I might have blown that money by now.

You can rent out your condo in U.S. while you are not there, and blow all your rental income way in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, scott456 said:

Most medical travel insurance only covers accidents, injuries and emergency medical care, excluding pre-existing conditions. 

Really? 
I'm daily seeing advertisements on Facebook for Thailand insurance, up to 100y.o. with all sorts of options,  out/in patient, accident etc.
I was recently quoted, at my great age -- don't ask -- of 8K Baht per month for inpatient only with a large $ cap (I forget how much).
It was with WRLife -- a U.K. based company with agents in Pattaya.
But many similar ads. out there.

Oh SORRY I just re-read and you're talking about TRAVEL insurance.

3 hours ago, scott456 said:

What type of health insurance do you have? A U.S health insurance that covers treatments overseas?

Thai Insurance policy that covers overseas. The overseas limits are smaller than required for most countries and so i top it up with simple one-trip travel policies. I used to have an annual travel policy but the premiums jumped to a level I felt unnecessary.

1 hour ago, Patanawet said:

Really? 
I'm daily seeing advertisements on Facebook for Thailand insurance, up to 100y.o. with all sorts of options,  out/in patient, accident etc.
I was recently quoted, at my great age -- don't ask -- of 8K Baht per month for inpatient only with a large $ cap (I forget how much).
It was with WRLife -- a U.K. based company with agents in Pattaya.
But many similar ads. out there.

Oh SORRY I just re-read and you're talking about TRAVEL insurance.

$200 (US) a month is a lot particularly if you never have to use it .

And especially a lot to those guys living in Aussie or UK government pensions .

5 hours ago, scott456 said:

You can rent out your condo in U.S. while you are not there, and blow all your rental income way in Thailand. 

Condo governing associations in the US oftentimes restrict how often and for how long we can rent our units.  Where I live I can rent once yearly for not less than a 6 month term.  The city where I live prohibits rentals less than 3 months and prohibits airbnb for most condos.

43 minutes ago, reader said:

Normally 65 is minimum age but you may qualify earlier if you have a qualifying disease.

If you delay claiming it at 65, you're monthly payment increases incrementally.

Really? I thought you could collect social security at 62, but your amount is slightly less. 65 is the age for Medicare.

2 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Can someone tell me if it's correct in the USA they get the old age pension at 62?

Unlike Australia and UK where we have to wait until 67 

Yes, you may claim Social Security at 62 but at a reduced amount compared to full retirement age which currently ranges from 65 to 67 depending on the year of your birth. For me (born in 1967) full retirement age is 67. If I claim it at 62 it is reduced by a certain percentage per year. So I could claim it any time between 62 and full retirement age with a partial reduction. If you wait until after full retirement age (up to age 70 I believe) you get a supplemental amount. So if you wait until 70 I think it's an 8% bonus currently. And the amount of your benefit is based on a number of factors including years of work and amount paid in to the system.

5 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Can someone tell me if it's correct in the USA they get the old age pension at 62?

I live in the USA.  My full retirement age for government Social Security monthly benefits 7 years ago was 66.5 years old.  That's when I retired from full-time work.  I could have claimed that retirement benefit at age 62 but the monthly payment would be approx. 30% less for the rest of my life compared to what I receive now.  At age 65 we are eligible for government assisted medical insurance a/k/a Medicare.

On 8/23/2023 at 11:07 PM, Mavica said:

I live in the USA.  My full retirement age for government Social Security monthly benefits 7 years ago was 66.5 years old.  That's when I retired from full-time work.  I could have claimed that retirement benefit at age 62 but the monthly payment would be approx. 30% less for the rest of my life compared to what I receive now.  At age 65 we are eligible for government assisted medical insurance a/k/a Medicare.

This is very similar to the situation in Canada. If you start early, you lose 0.6% from the full payment for every month before your 65th birthday. Conversely, you gain 0.7% per month for every month you delay after that birthday, until age 70. Consequently, I'm doing my best to hold off for as long as I can. 

3 hours ago, lotus123 said:

Conversely, you gain 0.7% per month for every month you delay after that birthday, until age 70. Consequently, I'm doing my best to hold off for as long as I can. 

think about all that money you could receive and use  since 65 and how long it will take to recover that. Scott may be right 

3 hours ago, gerefan said:

My philosophy on these things is always take the money immediately.

You never know when the next Song Tau going to run you over!

I agree with 'grab and run' approach as well but everybody's  circumstances are different. In  countries with high level of taxation and substantial income from other sources it may make sense to delay pension until one stops working.

Also there are countries which are clawing back portion of government pension if income level crosses certain threshold. 

So everybody needs to consider own circumstances in relation to laws and rules his own country.

8 hours ago, scott456 said:

My social security benefits will be a very small portion of my overall retirement income, I am not going to worry about it.  It has no impact to my retirement finance. 

if that's the case consider distributing it among poor , needy seniors on this forum