PeterRS

Would You Be Seen Dead On This Monster?

Royal Caribbean has revealed artist's renderings of its latest mega-ship/restort, the Icon of the Seas. When its stern section was unveiled -

5bGVDrz.thumb.jpg.1f1286a18b9518a7210739436c996ad4.jpg

- it instantly became viral with many expressing the same thoughts that I have - ghastly in the extreme. A "monstrosity", a "pile of decadence", "intrically tacky and vulgar." Some compared it to a vision of hell.

When it sets sail on its maiden voyage in January it will be the largest passenger ship afloat with almost 10,000 passengers and crew.

2110-96cce48cf4e.jpg.b52bfc98aec29a7142ee207e9879eb75.jpg

The image of the ship has not been helped by being described as "5 times bigger than the Titanic." Not only did that mega-ship end up at the bottom of the ocean on its maiden voyage, the recent implosion of the underwater vessel taking paying passengers to see the wreck can not have helped. The candy colours make the ship seem like Barbie's home from home while others suggest that so many crammed into one space will feel very claustrophobic.

I guess if it was for occasional gay cruises, it might be a huge best seller. And for families it will no doubt be a success. But you won't get me anywhere close to it.

I have been fortunate to be a non-paying passeenger on three cruises, thanks to invitations from my long-time best friend. In the summers he lectured aboard vessels, but only the small top of the line ones like Silver Sea and Seabourn.

SIlver_Wind_Cruise.thumb.JPG.193992f8e7861b913c5a1b429b87a681.JPG

When his wife could not accompany him, he would always invite me to join him for part of a cruise. With a bottle of champagne put in the cabin fridge every morning and free booze in the bars, they were mostly very enjoyable if for a week or so. But I found a 17 day cruise around the Caribbean and then 1,600 kms up the Amazon to Manaus way too long, even though a highight was visiting the Opera House built in Manaus by the rubber barons at the end of the 19th century and featured in the movie Fitzcarraldo.

But as a Royal Caribbean spokesman said of Icon of the Seas, "“That ship’s gonna take in $10 million a week.”

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/viral-icon-of-the-seas-cruise-ship-photo/index.html

4 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Royal Caribbean has revealed artist's renderings of its latest mega-ship/restort, the Icon of the Seas. When its stern section was unveiled -

5bGVDrz.thumb.jpg.1f1286a18b9518a7210739436c996ad4.jpg

- it instantly became viral with many expressing the same thoughts that I have - ghastly in the extreme. A "monstrosity", a "pile of decadence", "intrically tacky and vulgar." Some compared it to a vision of hell.

When it sets sail on its maiden voyage in January it will be the largest passenger ship afloat with almost 10,000 passengers and crew.

2110-96cce48cf4e.jpg.b52bfc98aec29a7142ee207e9879eb75.jpg

The image of the ship has not been helped by being described as "5 times bigger than the Titanic." Not only did that mega-ship end up at the bottom of the ocean on its maiden voyage, the recent implosion of the underwater vessel taking paying passengers to see the wreck can not have helped. The candy colours make the ship seem like Barbie's home from home while others suggest that so many crammed into one space will feel very claustrophobic.

I guess if it was for occasional gay cruises, it might be a huge best seller. And for families it will no doubt be a success. But you won't get me anywhere close to it.

I have been fortunate to be a non-paying passeenger on three cruises, thanks to invitations from my long-time best friend. In the summers he lectured aboard vessels, but only the small top of the line ones like Silver Sea and Seabourn.

SIlver_Wind_Cruise.thumb.JPG.193992f8e7861b913c5a1b429b87a681.JPG

When his wife could not accompany him, he would always invite me to join him for part of a cruise. With a bottle of champagne put in the cabin fridge every morning and free booze in the bars, they were mostly very enjoyable if for a week or so. But I found a 17 day cruise around the Caribbean and then 1,600 kms up the Amazon to Manaus way too long, even though a highight was visiting the Opera House built in Manaus by the rubber barons at the end of the 19th century and featured in the movie Fitzcarraldo.

But as a Royal Caribbean spokesman said of Icon of the Seas, "“That ship’s gonna take in $10 million a week.”

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/viral-icon-of-the-seas-cruise-ship-photo/index.html

This is definitely going to be a hit with the gay crowd of the Atlantis cruises. They usually use the Oasis-class ships of Royal Caribbean for their cruises from Fort Lauderdale/Miami in early February. It's definitely their most popular one. It gets sold out months in advance.

• Members

Those ships don't have enough lifeboats I think. On the pic I can see nine, let's say there's about ten on the other side. So, maybe about twenty lifeboats for almost ten thousand passengers & crew. Hundreds of passengers for one lifeboat, maybe I'm to much like Rose (from the film Titanic) counting lifeboats...

5 hours ago, Thomas_88 said:

Those ships don't have enough lifeboats I think. On the pic I can see nine, let's say there's about ten on the other side. So, maybe about twenty lifeboats for almost ten thousand passengers & crew. Hundreds of passengers for one lifeboat, maybe I'm to much like Rose (from the film Titanic) counting lifeboats...

They're trying to get rid of life boats. More people have been accidently killed by life boats than saved. Also, can't be used when the ship is listing. Life rafts and escape shoots are safer....

4 hours ago, Mavica said:

I waited 73 years to take my first cruise, last November.  It was better than I thought it would be.  Small ship, 2,500 passengers, 7 nights.  Lots of gay men, most of whom seemed to be partnered ... and, umm, unhealthy looking (supersized).

I've done 100+ cruises....until recently, was some of the best travel bargains you could find. Now they are expensive and some cost more than a land vacation.

Being veteran of just 2 cruises  - Panama Canal and East Caribbean  I must say I'm not fan and certainly I don't consider cruises any travel bargain but understand why some people swear by it. Your hotel is moving with you so no need to pack and food is unlimited and tasty.

I have big doubts about economical benefits  for places visited, it may be more ego booster for some locals than cash cow.

As for original question in the tittle my answer is yes for simple reason - bigger  ship, less claustrophobic it will feel.

I used to always say I never wanted to take a cruise, but I did take a Med cruise on Virgin Voyages last autumn. The ship was quite nice. I enjoyed the ports. Their ships are more mid-sized than this and don't have all of the outdoor entertainment things like waterslides and go kart tracks. But they are "adults only" so they don't put a lot of those things that would cater more to kids and families. I was traveling solo and I am pretty introverted so I didn't do much socializing. But I think if I had gone with a group of friends I would have enjoyed it more.

I have never been on a mega- or mini-mega cruise and cannot imagine going near one of these behemoths, even with a bunch of friends. The Silver Wind had 300 passengers and the other two ships I was on had less than 600. Best was I did not pay a cent since my friend was a lecturer and had free accommodation. I merely used air miles to get to the ports of departure. Although lecturers were classed as "entertainers" and should have been consigned to the bottom level of cabins, my friend knew the hotel managers and we were upgraded twice to suites with balconies. But I would still not take another cruise.