ichigo

Trip report (July 2023)

The times my flights arrived it was always peak hour on the expressway and the trains, as I have the two bags (one carry on and one bag) I always caught a taxi. I hate being on a packed train and someone with big luggage or big backpacks try to squeeze on, even when there is no room for their luggage / backpack. 

23 minutes ago, reader said:

A bargain at twice the cost.

The Airport Limo is twice the price to Silom area, and my favoured choice. The kiosks where you pay are brisk and efficient and right in airport concourse. They take your bags straight to the cars which are waiting just outside the terminal. Comfortable car after a long flight. 

3 hours ago, reader said:

Although I'll always take the train (if it's running) because I travel light, whenever I take the taxi I just make it clear to driver that "You take expressway and I give you 500."

Never get an argument. When you add up fare, tolls and tip, whatever extra it costs me I find it well worth the convenience. It comes to less than USD 15 for door to door service. A bargain at twice the cost.

actually it's not excessive at all. Lowest meter I paid to the airport was just below 300 , add 70 for tolls and 50 airport surcharge is already 420.

My BKK  experience   taxi from the airport   is very limited , perhaps all of 3 times including pre-paid transfer in covid time and don't recall any issues other than pestering me with ' do you want a lady?" 

Going other way which happened several times because my best connections are departing at 2.30 and 8 am sometimes is was meter on the spot, sometimes that refused so I asked to stop and left taxi, sometimes they suggested price before letting me in and depending on what that price was and my mood at the moment I either approved, skipped or bargained down. Rarely there's problem catching taxi in Silom area  and like reader pointed out they are great bargain. 

I live walking distance from the airport and price to is at least 750 baht and from 1000 ( we have flat rates depending  on area going from airport) 

After a long flight, almost always I'm not in the best shape to hustle for a taxi nor negotiate the train system. I usually book a private airport transfer that costs around $17 - all inclusive with two hours waiting time starting when your flight actually landed.

It costs a bit more but you pay for convenience.

7 hours ago, CallMeLee said:

After a long flight, almost always I'm not in the best shape to hustle for a taxi nor negotiate the train system. I usually book a private airport transfer that costs around $17 - all inclusive with two hours waiting time starting when your flight actually landed.

It costs a bit more but you pay for convenience.

Me too!

7 hours ago, CallMeLee said:

like all road transport in Bangkok there's danger  to be stuck in traffic. And forget about all eye candy from the train 

On 9/25/2023 at 7:41 PM, reader said:

Never get an argument.

In almost every case if involved with a Thai, I would agree. Arguing is not only self-defeating, it can end up rather ugly. But if in an official taxi from the airport I see that I am getting ripped off, I make sure the driver knows that i know and give him the chance to rectify it. If not, then out comes the taxi receipt and the phone camera. There is not much he can do on the expressway. If it is not sorted out before you get off the expresway then I guess better to give up before you get an unwanted tour around the suburbs. It has always worked for me.

On 9/24/2023 at 3:12 PM, DenverDude said:

Is it true you have to jump over a railing or go wrong way through a turnstile or something to get to that drop off area?  I thought I read that somewhere, maybe on Trip Advisor..

It didn't used to be that way. I haven't been going to BKK as often and the last two times I went, I just caught a regular taxi.

On 9/24/2023 at 8:38 AM, fedssocr said:

I agree with the caveats listed above re: location of your destination and amount of baggage.

But I also typically book a car service. Yes it costs more. But you are in a very comfortable vehicle even when traffic is heavy. After a long flight it's nice to just relax and not have to worry about anything. And it's door to door service. I've been using SP Limousine for years so they give me a small repeat customer discount.

I kind of like this idea. In my advanced years :) I really don't want to argue with anyone. When I first started going to BKK, there was no expressway and no meter taxis, so it was always a hassle. May I ask how you book a car service in advance?

6 minutes ago, joizy said:

It didn't used to be that way. I haven't been going to BKK as often and the last two times I went, I just caught a regular taxi.

I was dropped off there on Friday morning and there is a rail and a turnstile that you go through, between the curb where the taxi drops you and the terminal building.  Unfortunately it was 4AM and I wasn't thinking to pay attention to how high the rail is or if it appeared to be possible to go the opposite direction through the turnstile.

18 hours ago, joizy said:

I kind of like this idea. In my advanced years :) I really don't want to argue with anyone. When I first started going to BKK, there was no expressway and no meter taxis, so it was always a hassle. May I ask how you book a car service in advance?

I just book on the website. splimousine.com  They have a web form you can fill out. They give you the location of their staff at the airport. They'll have a paper with your name on it big enough to see as you walk up. The lady who runs the operation radios for the car and walks you out to the curb and you hop in and go. I usually book a week or so in advance of my trip

On 10/22/2023 at 11:01 AM, fedssocr said:

I just book on the website. splimousine.com  They have a web form you can fill out. They give you the location of their staff at the airport. They'll have a paper with your name on it big enough to see as you walk up. The lady who runs the operation radios for the car and walks you out to the curb and you hop in and go. I usually book a week or so in advance of my trip

Excellent! Thank you. I will definitely do this. Do you tip the driver?

7 hours ago, joizy said:

Excellent! Thank you. I will definitely do this. Do you tip the driver?

That's a good question. If I have the cash in small enough denomination I will tip a little. But I don't think it's expected unless they're schlepping a lot of luggage for you. I usually give them my credit card in advance on the form so they just charge the ride to that.