CurtisD

How do Thais View the Chinese?

Many Thais dislike the Chinese. They find them loud, rude, pushy and dirty. Bar boys complaining about the Chinese not washing their arses after taking a crap and merely wiping with paper is hardly uncommon. The Chinese only wash when they bathe - and that holds true of many "diaspora" Chinese as well. To the Thais, who are ultra-clean, that is pretty revolting. Ask your favourite bar boy what he thinks of the Chinese when it comes to hygiene and you will rarely get a flattering answer. Of course. poor anal and genital hygiene among he Chinese is an issue that usually only impacts bar boys and girls. For most of the Thais, their dislike of the Chinese has to do with attitude and behaviour - rude, pushy, noisy and inconsiderate. 

Added to that has been the growing sense among many Thais - particularly smaller traders - that the Chinese are stealing business and opportunities from them by running illegal businesses in the country. A good many businesses in Chinatown are now owned by mainlanders, acting in concert with local nominees who are usually village idiots who have been paid a few thousand baht to sign a piece of paper. Some of that is covered in this Bangkok Post article.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2632507/rough-start-for-new-chinatown?utm_campaign=Article&utm_source=article_suggestion_thailand&utm_medium=reccommended&utm_content=suggestion-article

Of course, there is a limit to how much anti-Chinese sentiment can be expressed in the mainstream media, given that most of it is owned by "Thai Chinese". For every negative opinion about the Chinese they publish, they will be sure to publish one or two positive comments. Opinion on the street is less flattering, though. There is also growing resentment among the middle-class about Chinese pushing-up property prices and rentals.

Considering what the Thais actually think of the Chinese, it is no surprise that your Thai friend wants to get out that building. It would have been a greater surprise if he had been keen on staying. So, "How do Thais View the Chinese?"  - not very positively.

Incidentally, many Thais dislike the Vietnamese for many of the same reasons - rude and aggressive. To quote one popular Tawan boy, "You know, many Thai people no like Vietnam(ese)". Admittedly, that was before he met a rich, attractive, young Vietnamese woman.

On the issue of poor Chinese anal hygiene, see this bitch fight on a Singaporean forum. Note that the guilty parties don't deny it; they would just rather that it was not mentioned: https://www.blowingwind.io/forum/topic/36263-where-to-find-date-caucasians-ang-moh-g-w-m-in-sg-compiled/page/7/#comment-2707863

Bar boys will take their money, but they are not fond of the Chinese.

• Members
12 minutes ago, Department_Of_Agriculture said:

Many Thais dislike the Chinese. They find them loud, rude, pushy and dirty. Bar boys complaining about the Chinese not washing their arses after taking a crap and merely wiping with paper is hardly uncommon. The Chinese only wash when they bathe - and that holds true of many "diaspora" Chinese as well. To the Thais, who are ultra-clean, that is pretty revolting.

I suppose you are a farang.  Do farangs wash their rear ends after taking a crap?

• Members
3 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Good point. Not normally, though I use a moist baby wipe afterwards, which sort of counts!

I hope that you don't flush them, even if the box says "flushable."

PS: I think the site should show many more examples of clean butt holes so everyone gets the point!

8 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I guess most do not but the French almost all use bidets. 

Not only the French.... anyone that's used one, should become accustomed to them, especially bottoms, lol

ANA has them even on their airplane bathrooms......

This pic from Pattaya is a little overboard though, I guess that's if you want to get REALLY clean???

garden hose enema Pattaya.jpg

• Members
2 hours ago, Boy69 said:

I agree with ever word that  @Department_Of_Agriculture said .

No need to quote me, you should have quoted OP when you agree with OP.  By quoting me, it says something about you.  Anyway, some other reader(s) agrees with me.  That's all.

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

Not only the French.... anyone that's used one, should become accustomed to them, especially bottoms, lol

ANA has them even on their airplane bathrooms......

This pic from Pattaya is a little overboard though, I guess that's if you want to get REALLY clean???

garden hose enema Pattaya.jpg

When the rubber hoses are present, many Asian men will use them to rinse the tip of the urethra and penis head. 

And yes, I've seen this behavior quite often!

21 hours ago, Lucky said:

I hope that you don't flush them, even if the box says "flushable."

PS: I think the site should show many more examples of clean butt holes so everyone gets the point!

Mine dosay that they can safely be flushed, and that they are biodegradable. So I believe them. They are a bit more expensive. 

18 hours ago, gerefan said:

I believe that is a common misconception.

Have you never been to a Thai public toilet, or even a toilet in some of the beer bars? 

You are conflating things.

My comment had to do with the personal cleanliness of the Thais, not the state of public lavatories. Most Thais bathe twice a day, at least, and they wash themselves after taking a crap. Thais are fastidiously clean.

The state of some of the public lavatories is actually a result of that. In lower-end place where you have a hose to wash with, water is going to keep dribbling even after you have switched the tap off. Even in places where you have a hand held douche, they tend to get worn out from heavy usage and there may be water on the floor from dripping or leakage. That has nothing to do with the personal hygiene of the Thais. Wet floors may be unpleasant, but if it’s a trade-off between a wet floor and a clean arse, the latter is preferable.

In some higher-end venues they have got around this problem by installing those little jets for washing directly into the WC, so there is no dripping or leakage. As noted by Ichigo above, the Crowne Plaza is one such venue.

You see the same with most native people in Southeast Asia. You will also see that when travelling through Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc. Loos are wet precisely because the people are clean - because there are washing facilities. Of course, as noted earlier, that does not always apply to the Chinese residents of the region. Even after several generations of being in a region where washing is expected, many still don’t wash.

In Farangland, lavatories may be clean and dry, but that is because of a lack of washing facilities. The trade-off in many places is dry floors for dirty arses. Thankfully, that isn’t true of all countries though. Bidets are legally mandated in Italy, for example. It is in the heretical, Protestant countries that things are at their worst. By contrast, I can assure you that the pope has a clean bottom.

Of course, in China it is the worst of both worlds. They walk around with dirty, unwashed arses yet they have dirty loos as well.

To tie this tangent back to the OP’s original question, I will share this little anecdote.

When in Chiang Mai last December, I went to the Michelin-recommended Paak Dang restaurant. It is owned by a Singaporean Chinese couple. Chiang Mai was fairly quiet and the restaurant almost empty. The only other table was a party of mainland Chinese - seven or eight of them – being very loud. It was slightly irritating but we were all there for a good time and it would have been churlish to hold it against them for enjoying themselves the way that they do. Anyhow, they eventually finished their meal and left, giving us some peace and quiet. Perhaps half an hour later, as we also prepared to leave, I went to use the loo. It was an absolute disaster zone.

I won’t go into details but, inter alia, there were shoe prints on the toilet seat and tonnes of wet tissue on the floor and the douche lying on the floor in a puddle. The flush must also have been an alien contraption to them. These were people who could afford to travel abroad and dine in a Michelin Guide restaurant.

I went to the lady owner and said that she might want to take a look at the loo. She asked “why?”. I said “well, you had a party of mainland Chinese here earlier…”. As soon as I got to “mainland Chin”, she audibly groaned. Her reaction was not a bad as that of the two Thai boys she brought along to clean-up the mess, though.

Ask those Thai boys what they really think of the Chinese.

35 minutes ago, Department_Of_Agriculture said:

I won’t go into details but, inter alia, there were shoe prints on the toilet seat and tonnes of wet tissue on the floor and the douche lying on the floor in a puddle. The flush must also have been an alien contraption to them. These were people who could afford to travel abroad and dine in a Michelin Guide restaurant.

Seems you haven't travelled much in South East Asia. These old fashioned toilets can be found in most countries. The only toilet in Bangkok's Nature Boys was this model - at least until a few years ago, although it may not have changed. I have also come across them in public toilets and some in more private accommodations in quite a number of other towns and cities elsewhere in Thailand, as well as in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia and even in Singapore. I have seen some in China over the years. After all this was the way most Asians did their ablutions until relatively recently.

I loathe them because it means crouching down and sometimes it's difficult getting pants out of the way 😵 But expecting all Asians to act and behave like westerners is in my view rather ridiculous unless they are given specific instructions. A bit like those Japanese toilets. With English instructions, they'd be easily used by everyone. Even though I came across my first one in Japan nearly 20 years ago, I still am unsure which buttons to press apart from those which have a little diagram. If the Chinese owners of that restaurant in Chiang Mai had instructions how to use a western toilet - which i have seen in quite a few on my travels - I suspect that the number of those attempting to use them the old way would be reduced. 

• Members

My first exposure to a foreign toilet was in Mae Sai ,up near the border  with Myanmar.  I had urgent diarrhea and finally found a restroom. It was a hole in the floor, and no toilet paper. I used it because I had to, but after I asked my Thai friend to help me find a place that sold toilet paper. It was not easy, but he found it!

I'll preface this by saying that @PeterRS makes a good point: we can't expect the globe's entire population to adhere to first world standards of bodily hygiene, as much as we'd like it to. Never used to be an issue, till the boom in mass tourism fed into inevitable cultural comparisons; now we're down to whose bumhole has fewer polyps stuck up there.

That noted, I live in a part of the world that's particularly susceptible to immigration and tourism from the Mainland, not unlike Thailand, and we don't appreciate them any more than the Thais, to be perfectly frank. I get @Department_Of_Agriculture's annoyance. Yes, we should be understanding of cultural nuance and differing levels of social finesse, but there are bottomlines, pun not intended. I remember a Cathay Pacific flight about ten years back: I saw that the door to a particular bathroom stall was closed but not locked, and proceeded to push it in, only to be greeted by the split-second sight of a Chinese gentleman seated on the can, before he promptly slammed the door shut in my face. I waited outside till he was done, and after he exited while giving me the stinkeye - he was in his 50s, clearly a Mainlander, and equally clearly not an urbanite - I went in, only to discover immediately that he had not availed himself of the bowl's flush function. He had been sitting, so the sight that greeted me may well be imagined. Like the easily repulsed first-worlder that I am, I went and got the nearest and unluckiest stewardess, and to this day recall very vividly the intake of breath and momentary pause, as she was confronted by the reality in that stall ... And, in case you're wondering, I felt not the slightest twinge of guilt in so doing. CatPac crew aren't exactly models of courtesy and graciousness, in my personal experience - one of several reasons I prefer not to fly with them.

So, yes, I do try not to be an entitled jackass, but I'm also well aware that there are limits. At some point, the Swamp Thing takes over.

3 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Japanese have had by far the best sit down toilets for many years. The only problem is that you either have to learn Japanese to work them or a degree in some sort of technology!

a0003727.jpg.699582ed875099fd1f0b2d8069b20249.jpg

Japanese-toilets.jpg.2fd39102f2d48a6688eda2f44eddccc8.jpg

The Le Meridien in Bangkok has them too. With English instructions! We had them in my firm's Tokyo office, so I got used to them. Sitting reading a book with warm air blowing up your bum is quite relaxing. Also the water jet, if that turns you on!

15 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

When the rubber hoses are present, many Asian men will use them to rinse the tip of the urethra and penis head. 

And yes, I've seen this behavior quite often!

Not sure if you're referring to Muslim Asians, but Muslims are enjoined to use water, for reasons of cleanliness - why you'll sometimes encounter a faucet and a hose in the stall, rather than a roll of paper, in rural and not-so-rural areas of countries like Malaysia. 

1 hour ago, moistmango said:

Not sure if you're referring to Muslim Asians, but Muslims are enjoined to use water, for reasons of cleanliness - why you'll sometimes encounter a faucet and a hose in the stall, rather than a roll of paper, in rural and not-so-rural areas of countries like Malaysia. 

Yes, that's true. And some non-Muslims do the same thing because they realize the hygiene issue as well.