Lucky

Fraud At Foodland?

• Members
22 minutes ago, Lucky said:

On my first night in Bangkok this week, I went to Foodland to try the venerable cashew chicken as raved about by @vinapu.

Only when the dish was served did I realize that this vinapu venerated concoction contained not a single cashew. Not one.

Has Mr. Vinapu been joshing?

I asked for assistance and an employee came to the table and couldn't figure out the problem. So I told him very simply "There are no cashews in the cashew chicken!"

The remedy was to bring me a small bowl of cashews, but as chicken cashew lovers would attest, they taste much better when cooked in the dish.

My rating of Foodland's cashew chicken...a 2!

As a server, I’d have at first immediately donned a surgical mask, offered you a Kleenex, and exclaimed whatever the local ‘god bless’ equivalent would be, perhaps also diligently inquiring about allergies and quickly reviewing the venue’s liability package. It’s not uncommon these days to have a bug up your ass, nasal-pharyngeal zone, etc.

4 hours ago, Riobard said:

As a server, I’d have at first immediately donned a surgical mask, offered you a Kleenex, and exclaimed whatever the local ‘god bless’ equivalent would be, perhaps also diligently inquiring about allergies and quickly reviewing the venue’s liability package.

this is not how you are supposed to treat client in such venerable institution familiar with hosting royalty, presidents, Nobel Prize laureates and other celebrities, not to mention local hookers of both genders.

• Members

Hands up who hasn’t suffered a debilitating stroke recently following a sneeze or not … Kkkaaaaashooh, garçon, where are the Kakakakashoez! With at least one side of funny bone paralyzed. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and may all your condiments and garnishes come through leap year. 

200.gif

• Members
18 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Which Foodland  was that ? Patpong or Silom one?

If Patpong I will contact UNESCO to suspend their world heritage designation till I make personal inspection there.

The same with Michelin, at least 1.5 stars from their 7.5 should be taken away immediately.

You absolutely right , cashews should be  cooked with the dish , not served as also run.

Only explanation I'd accept was that the cook is in love, that was what we used to say where I grew up when served under- or overcooked meal.

I'm shocked to the bone !!!!  and want to scream murder . 

But as always , give them another chance or go to G'Bangkok or Happy Beer Garden and try theirs

This is truly very humorous. 

• Members
18 hours ago, Lucky said:

On my first night in Bangkok this week, I went to Foodland to try the venerable cashew chicken as raved about by @vinapu.

Only when the dish was served did I realize that this vinapu venerated concoction contained not a single cashew. Not one.

Has Mr. Vinapu been joshing?

I asked for assistance and an employee came to the table and couldn't figure out the problem. So I told him very simply "There are no cashews in the cashew chicken!"

The remedy was to bring me a small bowl of cashews, but as chicken cashew lovers would attest, they taste much better when cooked in the dish.

My rating of Foodland's cashew chicken...a 2!

Thanks for the info.  I never eat at Foodland and shall avoid it on my future trips.

I have tasted a version of "chicken in cashewnuts" (note the variation in the name of the dish) in Phnom Penh, where they were no crunchy nuts either. However, the chicken was bathed in a creamy sauce, and I could detect that what probably went into the cooking process was a long cooking time during the which the cashew nuts (which might have been pre-crushed into tiny bits) softened so much, they became the thickener in the sauce. I could taste the cashew in the sauce, which had the consistency of thick cream. 

• Members

Be careful,  expired/rancid nuts (including cashew nuts) can be harmful to your health.  A lot of cheap food stalls use expired/rancid ingredients.  With heavy seasoning and/or fried in oil, you can't tell the quality of the ingredients anyway.

• Members
54 minutes ago, omega said:

I think one can be judicious in their choices.

If you see the same vendor, at the same place, day after day (or night after night), and it is popular with locals, then I think you can assume it is a safe place to eat.

In the U.S., there are plenty of people buying frozen TV dinners, and McDonald's because those are cheap and easy. Do I follow suit?  No.  But you do have a choice.

20 minutes ago, scott456 said:

In the U.S., there are plenty of people buying frozen TV dinners, and McDonald's because those are cheap and easy. Do I follow suit?  No.  But you do have a choice.

Absurd comparison.

You're correlating poor quality processed food with freshly cooked food made with relatively basic, fresh ingredients.

One indeed does have a choice. One can hold an irrational fear of bad ingredients and miss out on tasty, freshly cooked cheap food.

• Members
2 hours ago, omega said:

Absurd comparison.

You're correlating poor quality processed food with freshly cooked food made with relatively basic, fresh ingredients.

One indeed does have a choice. One can hold an irrational fear of bad ingredients and miss out on tasty, freshly cooked cheap food.

Do you know what oil or sauce they use in the cashew chicken dish? You don't.  Do you or people who eat it care? Probably not.  You know the ingredients of TV dinners and McDonald's because by law this information has to be disclosed to you.  You don't know what's in the cashew chicken but you eat it under the assumption they are fresh and good quality.  A cheap food has to be made from even cheaper ingredients or there is no profit to be made.

You've jumped from the ingredients are expired and rancid, to irrational fears about not knowing whats in the oil and sauces.

Ingredients are cheap in Thailand, because it is an extremely fertile country with a constant growing season. Undoubtedly the street vendors are not buying A grade, Michelin star level ingredients.

That doesn't mean the food isn't fresh, delicious or edible.

The one respect in which you may have a point is the welfare standards of the animals they rear for food; but this point applies to any restaurant that uses locally sourced meat or poultry. 

• Members
1 hour ago, omega said:

You've jumped from the ingredients are expired and rancid, to irrational fears about not knowing whats in the oil and sauces.

Ingredients are cheap in Thailand, because it is an extremely fertile country with a constant growing season. Undoubtedly the street vendors are not buying A grade, Michelin star level ingredients.

The one respect in which you may have a point is the welfare standards of the animals they rear for food; but this point applies to any restaurant that uses locally sourced meat or poultry. 

Let me correct my earlier statement to: You don't actually know if the ingredients are expired or rancid or edible quality. And you don't know what oil or sauce they use.  You don't know what animal source they use.  The only thing you do know is they are tasty, but perhaps with all the food additives, which you and I don't know this either because no information is disclosed.  In short, you just don't know anything about that cheap and tasty food.

15 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Is that the one in an old house about 200m from the National Museum? If so, I think it was.

It's on Jayavarman VII str ( 172 str ) , one block north of National Museum, so quite posible we are taking about the same place

3 hours ago, scott456 said:

A cheap food has to be made from even cheaper ingredients or there is no profit to be made.

3 hours ago, omega said:

I wanted to say the same but omega was faster, eh be young again !