unicorn

Humiliation on a new level

On 2/8/2024 at 5:07 AM, Keithambrose said:

Mind you, I was visiting friends in San Francisco, and buying some wine in a Safeway.  I was asked for ID, to show I was over 21! I am 72, and have white hair! !

it was probably just automated move by the clerk without thinking.

reminds me visit to bank when clerk asked me ' how are you ?' and I answered ' not good, going to funeral right after that ' to which she responded ' have a nice day"

12 hours ago, vinapu said:

it was probably just automated move by the clerk without thinking.

reminds me visit to bank when clerk asked me ' how are you ?' and I answered ' not good, going to funeral right after that ' to which she responded ' have a nice day"

The automatic response is annoying. I was asked in Florida, how I was. I said not good, my mother just died!  (Not true, i was feeling mischievous)The response? Have a nice day!

On 2/7/2024 at 5:49 PM, Mavica said:

a direct complaint to the hotel manager is in order

Definitely, if she did it to you, she's doing it to others. If it's a hotel chain they're going to be concerned about lawsuits and I think more likely to do something about it. She may also escalate her discrimination as time goes on to the point of calling police. She could do it anonymously and embellish to get police attention. They'd realize it was untrue right away, but having them knocking on somebody's hotel room door late at night would be humiliating.

39 minutes ago, xpaulo said:

Definitely, if she did it to you, she's doing it to others. She may also escalate her discrimination 

The receptionist did nothing wrong, assuming she handled things in a professional discrete way and didn't scream her question all over the lobby then she's both entitled to ask and also should be congratulated for bothering.  in an way you should consider yourself lucky as it makes a change from the opposite where my BF gets asked in gay bars "so, where did you dig HIM up from!' 🙂

• Members
6 hours ago, NIrishGuy said:

in an way you should consider yourself lucky as it makes a change from the opposite where my BF gets asked in gay bars "so, where did you dig HIM up from!'

Tackiness, rudeness, and arrogance runs deep in the gay community, especially in "gay bars." Oftentimes, it comes extremely LOUD. That might explain why I haven't been in a "gay bar" in years. In a place like NYC, where gays are everywhere, there are SO MANY elegant, comfortable places to have a drink. One doesn't have to subject himself to uneducated, unsophisticated, or worse, drunk gays.

When it comes to enjoying a great cocktail, I'm a total snob.

• Members
11 hours ago, xpaulo said:

From the description of what happened, I don't see how anybody would think it was sex trafficking, unless the employee is just disgusted by older men with younger men.

That was my sense. My fiance's name was on the reservation, so it's not as if I was sneaking him in. He does not look at all like a minor. We've gone to countless hotels around the world (and US), and never been so questioned. 

1 hour ago, RockHardNYC said:

More and more people are saying things out loud

That's for sure. Anti-gay stuff is all over social media now in Canada. We had a series of "Save the Children" marches in Canada in the fall.... you can guess who the children needed to be saved from. The usual radical Christians/right wing bigots were joined by Muslim gay haters which was a first. They provided comments like, "they're disgusting, they should be dead," and "they have no human rights, they're not human, they're animals." As for the white bigots, they're using gays/trans as targets for now because they're easy to go after without much blowback, but it will spread to more severe racially motivated attacks and against women.

3 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

ed. One evening, Louis and I were talking in the lobby about his life, and my neighbor appeared from the elevator. She saw me and sat down next to me to chat. She had a few minutes to observe my interactions with Louis, who never ended his flirtatious flitting. At one quiet point she turned to me and whispered, "Is Louis your type?"

good fences are making good neighbours

4 hours ago, xpaulo said:

That's for sure. Anti-gay stuff is all over social media now in Canada. We had a series of "Save the Children" marches in Canada in the fall.... you can guess who the children needed to be saved from. The usual radical Christians/right wing bigots were joined by Muslim gay haters which was a first. They provided comments like, "they're disgusting, they should be dead," and "they have no human rights, they're not human, they're animals." As for the white bigots, they're using gays/trans as targets for now because they're easy to go after without much blowback, but it will spread to more severe racially motivated attacks and against women.

Ah yes we had this in Australia last year  too , Christians joining Muslims to protest against gay people and even walking through gay areas .

I have no time for any religion

40 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

they're all white

I was talking about these marches that were occurring in Canada, they were probably about 99.9 percent white and just before the Hamas attack in Israel they were joined by members of a national Muslim association who were probably 99.9 percent brown. Please don't start looking for things that aren't there. I'm pretty sure there are bigots in every race.

49 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

I have no time for any religion

There was sort of an unspoken arrangement in Canada where most people just minded their own business and left others alone. In Canada I think it was mainly only a hardcore wing of the Catholic Church that openly spoke against rights on issues like gay marriage and abortion. But now a lot more people are open about hating gays, hating immigrants and hating women who want freedom from patriarchy.

2 hours ago, xpaulo said:

There was sort of an unspoken arrangement in Canada where most people just minded their own business and left others alone. In Canada I think it was mainly only a hardcore wing of the Catholic Church that openly spoke against rights on issues like gay marriage and abortion. But now a lot more people are open about hating gays, hating immigrants and hating women who want freedom from patriarchy.

Unfortunately the "left "or Antifa are only blaming the Christian groups never the "religion of peace" (Muslim) 

I haven't got time for any religion actually 

• Members
On 2/7/2024 at 8:59 AM, unicorn said:

No, he does not look underage. He does use Botox, so he doesn't have wrinkles, … 

Is it just me or does this not come across as plum sad at such a young age, notwithstanding personal autonomy and the realization that I just myself inserted a values judgement.   Assuming it’s cosmetic, speaks volumes about the unfortunate trend of body dysmorphia and the difficulty of influencing those subject to it. Looking in the mirror at any age and feeling humiliation or anxiety about life’s natural course is the story here. I hope he doesn’t subsequently bear a greater burden of the inevitable debt we all pay the piper. 

• Members
38 minutes ago, Riobard said:

Is it just me or does this not come across as plum sad at such a young age, notwithstanding personal autonomy and the realization that I just myself inserted a values judgement.   Assuming it’s cosmetic, speaks volumes about the unfortunate trend of body dysmorphia...

Produce Market Guide (PMG) | Black Plums

What you said is true, though Botox use is very common in LA, especially in the gay community. It costs him about $300 every 6 months, so not an huge expense. 

• Members
On 2/22/2024 at 3:26 PM, vinapu said:

600 a year ! It's half of my recent airfare to BKK. I wouldn't call it small change

Now that’s raisin awareness to new heights. I’m a fruit that would have had to start very young and break the piggy bank, but there is the advantage of priority boarding access if aged whining finely enough. 

IMG_2854.jpeg