unicorn

Humiliation on a new level

7 minutes ago, unicorn said:

I'm very used to people mistaking my fiance for my son. But we checked into a hotel yesterday, and she asked how old he was (he's 30) because she was concerned I might be trafficking in minors! Have any of you been subjected to such humiliation? 😤

This in the Philippines?

I was asked in the Philippines, 

• Members

Trafficking in minors is a hot issue right now, especially in Los Angeles. As far as I'm concerned, we should all be concerned about the issue, and do our part to crush the problem. I suggest you put your hurt pride on the table, and consider the greater good. Of course it's not fun to be profiled in any way, no matter what the situation is. Most of us have been there in one way or another. I find it best not to take these things too personally. There is NO WAY to control how other people see us. I am continually shocked, now that I am sixty, how strangers treat me. Just had an incident yesterday that I won't go into. I let the kid slide. His day is coming.

If she had said that to me i would of told her to mind her own business 

I would of found that offensive to be told that 

Different laws , different states ,what age is a minor legally anyway , I think it's 16 right 

6 minutes ago, RockHardNYC said:

Trafficking in minors is a hot issue right now, especially in Los Angeles. As far as I'm concerned, we should all be concerned about the issue, and do our part to crush the problem. I suggest you put your hurt pride on the table, and consider the greater good. Of course it's not fun to be profiled in any way, no matter what the situation is. Most of us have been there in one way or another. I find it best not to take these things too personally. There is NO WAY to control how other people see us. I am continually shocked, now that I am sixty, how strangers treat me. Just had an incident yesterday that I won't go into. I let the kid slide. His day is coming.

Well you had a go at the bloke because he wasn't happy  with the reception asking if he was a child trafficker so tell us what issue you had with the young person and we can decide about you 

6 hours ago, unicorn said:

I'm very used to people mistaking my fiance for my son. But we checked into a hotel yesterday, and she asked how old he was (he's 30) because she was concerned I might be trafficking in minors! Have any of you been subjected to such humiliation? 😤

Now imagine you're a 14 year old kid being trafficked by an older man and no one asks the question. It's not always about you. Personally, I'd be happy people were asking the question.

Perhaps be pleased that they thought your fiance was underage, I wouldn't mind being thought to be a lot younger than my age! It happens sometimes! But I agree that checking is sensible. 

6 hours ago, unicorn said:

If your fiance genuinely looks like he might be underage to someone who has just met him, then I would suggest that you take the sour with the sweet. In all other ways you've got the best of both worlds, and it is important that those who would traffick children are stopped.

If your fiance in no way looks like he might be underage, then I would share with your indignation and insult, and make an appropriate complaint about how their policy has been misused to humilate you.

28 minutes ago, omega said:

If your fiance in no way looks like he might be underage, then I would share with your indignation and insult, and make an appropriate complaint about how their policy has been misused to humilate you.

This is what Unicorn (OP) may mean and if it is then it's shocking and homophobic 

Look I had a few problems checking into hotels with my Filipino BF , not a great deal just some had signs up they don't accept "unmarried" couples etc 

• Members

Just a note: I have my share of young people (college age) surrounding me when I work. Sometimes, we are in luxury hotels and airport hotels. Many of the male interns are straight (I don't always know for sure), and some are very handsome and young looking. Even my son is handsome and young looking, and we are often together, sharing the same room (he's straight, and most people don't think we are related). On occasion, I have noticed some people looking at me(us) with questioning eyes. My son has been carded, but nothing more. One time, in a hospital emergency room, a nurse asked me if my son was hurting me at home. I was a bit stunned by the question, and I responded, "Does that sweet, loving face look angry to you?," as I pointed his way. "Sorry, we have to ask." she answered.

For some reason, Sound of Freedom is a controversial film, probably something to do with Christian funding. The movie is based on Tim Ballard's story, who was a U.S. government agent, working on child sex trafficking cases. His secret trip to Columbia is covered in the film. It's not an easy film to watch, but I recommend it. It's difficult for me to believe that such extreme evil exists in our world, but it does. We need to be aware.

• Members
4 hours ago, omega said:

...If your fiance in no way looks like he might be underage, then I would share with your indignation and insult, and make an appropriate complaint about how their policy has been misused to humilate you.

No, he does not look underage. He does use Botox, so he doesn't have wrinkles, but he definitely doesn't look under 18. He's 6' 4" (1.93 m) tall. In the 3 years we've been together, we've traveled extensively, probably in close to 100 hotels, and never previously been questioneed.

• Members
23 minutes ago, RockHardNYC said:

...One time, in a hospital emergency room, a nurse asked me if my son was hurting me at home. I was a bit stunned by the question, and I responded, "Does that sweet, loving face look angry to you?," as I pointed his way. "Sorry, we have to ask." she answered.

For some reason, Sound of Freedom is a controversial film...

According to Wikipedia, "While the film does not mention any QAnon conspiracy theories, critics and anti-trafficking experts have pointed out that the film embellishes the reality of child exploitation and stokes QAnon conspiracy theories, referring to a "belief that a core group of devil-worshiping elite run the world". Both Ballard and star Caviezel have been public about their belief in conspiracy theories of the QAnon movement...", to address your curiosity. 

As for the ER situation, there are certain injuries which should prompt questioning, especially if the mechanism of the injury described by the patient is unusual (for example, a black eye explained by running into a door). If he brought you in because you had a kidney stone stuck in your ureter, then that question would seem inappropriate. I don't know the laws for all jurisdictions, obviously, but I doubt it's against the law for a nurse not to ask about domestic violence every time a child or other family member brings a parent into the ER for any reason. Of course, the question must be asked under certain situations. I can't comment about your particular situation, since you didn't share the reason for your ER visit. My fiance did bring me into the ER several months ago for, in fact, a stone in my ureter, and I was not asked about domestic violence. 

7 hours ago, unicorn said:

No, he does not look underage. He does use Botox, so he doesn't have wrinkles, but he definitely doesn't look under 18. He's 6' 4" (1.93 m) tall. In the 3 years we've been together, we've traveled extensively, probably in close to 100 hotels, and never previously been questioneed.

Absolutely inappropriate then. Yeah, I'd be making complaints.

21 hours ago, unicorn said:

But we checked into a hotel yesterday, and she asked how old he was (he's 30) because she was concerned I might be trafficking in minors! 

The front desk clerk specifically said she was concerned you might be trafficking a minor?  Or you are interpreting her question to mean that?

• Members
3 minutes ago, Mavica said:

The front desk clerk specifically said she was concerned you might be trafficking a minor?  Or you are interpreting her question to mean that?

Yes, she said to him "You look so young. We have to be careful about trafficking."

On 2/7/2024 at 9:55 AM, omega said:

If your fiance genuinely looks like he might be underage to someone who has just met him, then I would suggest that you take the sour with the sweet. In all other ways you've got the best of both worlds, and it is important that those who would traffick children are stopped.

Mind you, I was visiting friends in San Francisco, and buying some wine in a Safeway.  I was asked for ID, to show I was over 21! I am 72, and have white hair! The impasse was only solved when the customer behind me offered to pay, and I gave her the cash! I did well, as she had a Safe way card, that gave her 20% off!

• Members
18 hours ago, unicorn said:

to address your curiosity

I had done some research. But I make it a rule not to believe everything I read, until I speak to a proper source. I do not know Tim Ballard and Jim Caviezel personally. I do not pay much attention to QAnon. The basic story presented in the movie is based on documented fact. Had I suspected any other wackiness being involved, I would have trashed the film.

18 hours ago, unicorn said:

I can't comment about your particular situation, since you didn't share the reason for your ER visit.

I was in a taxi accident. There was no evidence of bruising at the time. I got the impression there was an ER mandate to ask the question. I did not feel offended, even though personally I thought the question was ridiculous, knowing that my son is incredibly loving towards me and very protective. I did not let a knee-jerk reaction enter the situation.

20 hours ago, unicorn said:

he definitely doesn't look under 18. He's 6' 4" (1.93 m) tall.

My son is tall, with thick, dark hair. He looks nothing like me. He has a baby face, which is why no one can guess his age correctly. We get certain looks in certain situations. People have no clue what our relationship is, and there was a time when those crooked faces of wonder bothered me. But no more. Fuck 'em.

19 hours ago, unicorn said:

By the way, we just had dinner at a restaurant here in Fort Lauderdale, where I'll be attending a medical conference tomorrow. We each ordered drinks and he was not carded. 

Are you a psychiatrist by any chance?

• Members
1 hour ago, Olddaddy said:

Are you a psychiatrist by any chance?

13 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

My son is tall, with thick, dark hair. He looks nothing like me. He has a baby face, which is why no one can guess his age correctly. We get certain looks in certain situations. People have no clue what our relationship is, and there was a time when those crooked faces of wonder bothered me. But no more. Fuck 'em.

No, family practice. The first day of the conference was today. The keynote speaker was also tall, with thick dark hair. He has been described as "America's most handsome doctor." I wouldn't disagree. His name's Dr. Mike Varshavski. I don't know how your son compares in good looks... 😉

image.thumb.png.e7c69cbdfabc55f39eef1c2198be733f.png

image.thumb.png.ff152a94580f0ff4201e5cb8ed6f952d.png