reader

Tawan Bar in Bangkok Closed: Police Raid Reported

• Members
15 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

Paypal me 3000 TBH and I will tell you the truth of what's happening, and send photos, time stamped, within 24 hours.

With more skilled photoshop aspects than those of a future queen? 

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

"The signboard had been removed"... Now THAT'S worrying.

The only way to reconcile that with assurances about reopening next month would be if it reopens under a new name and new owner.

Or a new (or previous) location?

The story I heard from two different sources (a mamasan and a bar boy from two different clubs) is that the owner got addicted playing baccarat in Cambodia. Lost heaps of $$$ and can't afford protection money anymore hence the police raid.

No idea how reliable this version is though.

4 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

Or a new (or previous) location?

previous location is out of question , after being shabbily boarded up for long time it would require substantial renovations

If Taiwan was/is permanently closed that would be quite a shock. And very sad. Although I've never been into the muscle boys I always made a point to have a drink or two there on every trip. But it was iconic and from reading reports people travelled from all over the world specifically for its services. It should have protected status!

3 hours ago, Riobard said:

Sudden status change upon standard search.

IMG_3627.jpeg

Oh no. I hope this isn't true. This is one of my go-to bars whenever in Bangkok. If this is true, I hope there'll be another place where I can still see the Tawan boys.

I hope it's as much truth as in today's announcement of increasing Airport Line capacity to 800 a day !

Yes , I agree closing such venerable institution would amount to sacrilege.

But even if truth , which I don't believe I think it will  be resurrected somewhere ( old New Twlight/ Queens Club location nearby is still empty )

41 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I hope it's as much truth as in today's announcement of increasing Airport Line capacity to 800 a day !

Yes , I agree closing such venerable institution would amount to sacrilege.

But even if truth , which I don't believe I think it will  be resurrected somewhere ( old New Twlight/ Queens Club location nearby is still empty )

New Twilight would be an excellent venue!

10 hours ago, vinapu said:

Although the owner of New Twlight and its likewise failed successor never could find the right combination to make a go of it, there's no denying it had some of the best components for a great venue: lighting, stage open on three sides, comfortable seating, high-end sound system.

In the hands of the right promoter, the Tawan concept could retained but redefined in a way that has wider appeal. I know I was in the minority at the time but I didn't believe location was huge drawback. SOL bar had a primo location on PP2 and ultimately failed because it didn't get the concept right and has since evolved into a hybrid operation.

5 minutes ago, reader said:

In the hands of the right promoter, the Tawan concept could retained but redefined in a way that has wider appeal. I know I was in the minority at the time but I didn't believe location was huge drawback. SOL bar had a primo location on PP2 and ultimately failed because it didn't get the concept right and has since evolved into a hybrid operation.

I agree that Sol is one huge wasted opportunity and in my opinion self inflicted wound. 

I couldn't believe seeing young couple entering bar with perhaps only  7 other patrons, taking a seat and leaving few minutes later loudly complaining about the sound volume and nobody did anything to stop them , not to mention toning down sound after they  left . If was like throwing 1000 baht to the wind. 

when half an hour later I entered packed Screwboys I knew that Sol is doomed unless they reinvent themselves and fast.

This is really sad. And now it's already April and still no news of reopening. Tawan guys are my type. My first time in Bangkok last year, almost every other day I'm in Tawan. 

Do you anyone have any recommendations of where you could find or where to for Tawan-type guys? 

There were earlier reports that some of the Tawan guys were hanging out outside the 7-Elven at corner of Surawong and Soi Tarntawan.

You may try to find some on the apps. I don't believe anyone has reported spotting them in any of the go-go's but maybe worth doing a bit of leg work.

Good luck and keep us posted.