Olddaddy

I'm not as excited anymore

10 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

But that doesn't mean that it can't  still be fun!

And is it as fun to you as it was 20 years ago?

5 hours ago, Mysteryman said:

Dragostea Din Tei was the first song I heard in 2006 as I stepped out of the bus at the hotel on top of a very smelly sewer drain. Likevise I am not as excited as before, and we are the same age.

Lol, just listening to that !😂

Yes ! It was playing continually back then I remembered it 

Base to base ......

5 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

And is it as fun to you as it was 20 years ago?

I don'y know about Keith but for me it's more fun now as I did not like Pattaya initially, only when some member g here urged me to "give her a chance " in his words I started likin it better and better .

1 minute ago, vinapu said:

all three I guess

wailing over past will not do you any good unless you like bitter taste. However fabulous, past is gone. Better focus on anticipation of new trip. And if you like change , do something different like start your trip in Bangkok.

Every trip to add some spice I try to do some small things bit differently , one trip it will be changing hotel every day, another staying in the same whole trip ( which I don't like), off all boys from the same bar - I call it monodiet trip or have my first offed boys being twink, itself horror of horrors. Then you will wait with anticipation how it will work for you   

Vinapu your right.

I may do a bit of Bangkok this trip.

For years I avoided Bangkok but it may be a bit of change I need , as for changing hotels I hate lugging my suitcase to keep changing but I stayed in like 4 different ones in Pattaya my last 2 month trip.

More expensive mind you ,if you stay in  different ones 

I want to try the Classroom hotel this trip 

Just now, vinapu said:

you will be happy there, rooms are gin and entrance very discreet and card operated

I need a balcony though 

I will look on Agoda to see what they have 

Did you book through those hotel apps?

1 minute ago, Olddaddy said:

I need a balcony though 

I will look on Agoda to see what they have 

Did you book through those hotel apps?

they have rooms with 2 types of balcony , small and bigger one with stone table and bench.

I always book them through agoda

9 hours ago, Olddaddy said:I stayed in like 4 different ones in Pattaya my last 2 month trip.

More expensive mind you ,if you stay in  different ones 

I want to try the Classroom hotel this trip 

Why not stay in a condo if you are there for 2 months? Not a problem in high season and even less of a problem in low season if only staying for a month.

All the condos have a balcony.

9 hours ago, vinapu said:

you will be happy there, rooms are big and entrance very discreet and card operated

I had a week’s stay at the Classroom recently and only moved for my second week because I like a swimming pool. As Vinapu has mentioned there is a side door affording access with the room card, avoiding the reception and the indoor hotel bar. A boy from Madagascar liked this as he seemed nervous about showing his I’d. I don’t really know if it should be regarded as a gay hotel, as is the nearby Ambiance, but one night another guest with a boy shared the lift with me and my overnight “boyfriend”. Bearing in mind its position I did wonder if I would experience overnight noise, but that was not the case.

i would definitely stay there again making the reservation direct with the Classroom using their website.

11 hours ago, floridarob said:

Better discounts and food credits if you book directly, plus they don't have to pay a commission and wait for their money.

Not disputing what you are saying, they told me the same but when I was actually booking last time  it still was cheaper by Agoda.

Bottom line is  not to make any assumption and try hotels own website as well as few booking sites  and compare prices not assuming anything. It's not unknown to science that certain hotel may,  say, have cheaper rates mid-week on expedia  but more user friendly on weekend on priceline. I noticed it recently when looking for digs for my incoming European trip.

Another thing to watch is where we are booking from. About 10 years ago my Malaysian friend knowing we will be in Bangkok at the same time  alarmed me about good Raya rates on some website.  I went to check  and there were good but not even close to what he was seeing. Thinking that rooms at his rate are sold out already I booked by what I saw only to be informed few hours later that he still sees his pricing for our dates. 

I also noticed that some Bangkok  hotels are releasing capacity  closer to  date of travel so one planning trip at end of May may see say, ABC hotel booked out but at end of this month all of the sudden few room will show available.

9 hours ago, Londoner said:

I should admit that a particular activity remains fun, just in case the more prurient of our posters were wondering!.  

you don't have any shame and good for you !

Haha I hear the owner of this thread. I went to Bangkok the first time in 2013 in my mid 20s - accidentally because I caught a first class error fare and had chance to travel to Bangkok cheap and classy, stayed at Pullman G and had a blast of time in Silom when Soi Twilight still was alive (arguably "Dragostea Din Tei" was already kinda outdated back then)

When I return nowadays I must say that it is somewhat different. I really dislike the Gogo-bars which rip you off wherever they can and do not provide any adequate offering. I rather prefer hook-ups via apps or just go to some 'massage' parlours...it is still fun but is just different. And Pullman G has also deterioated which is a shame because I have still good memories with that place...but then I rather go Banyan Tree, SO Hotel, Marriott Surawongse or Le Meridien....all far better

I'll return to BKK in May for a couple of days and really looking forward to it and what has changed since my last visit in 2022. If anyone has "must go's" which have come up in the meantime that is really appreciated...

Best

Flying_Angel