t0oL1

Food stand outside BBB Pattaya

I had to laugh about this. I saw a food stand feeding boys with my favorite chicken breast on a stick- buttered and seared. The first night I pointed to the chicken and the man came around and grabbed it for me and grilled it. One piece - 40 baht. 

As I was eating this I see boys come up and grab the sticks of various and bring it to the guy cooking. So the next night I reached inside the glass and grabbed TWO sticks of chicken and handed it around to the man. Doing this I was only charged 20 baht for TWO. One quarter the price.

4 hours ago, t0oL1 said:

I had to laugh about this. I saw a food stand feeding boys with my favorite chicken breast on a stick- buttered and seared. The first night I pointed to the chicken and the man came around and grabbed it for me and grilled it. One piece - 40 baht. 

As I was eating this I see boys come up and grab the sticks of various and bring it to the guy cooking. So the next night I reached inside the glass and grabbed TWO sticks of chicken and handed it around to the man. Doing this I was only charged 20 baht for TWO. One quarter the price.

Try grabbing four! 😮 See if it's still 40 baht !

The way these shops work, is you grab the sticks you want and put them into a cup or a tray and hand the tray to the worker and he will fry or grill them. It’s usually 10thb per skewer, sometimes 5thb if it’s just fish cake, or 25thb if it’s more expensive meat. You simply got taken advantage of haha.

It was at such a stand where I caught the worst food poisoning in years. In hindsight, the skewer must have been left on the stand too long in the warm Thai air. Ever since then, I avoid such food stands though I am conscious (at a rational level) that the same can happen in the kitchens of the nicest restaurants.

6 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

It was at such a stand where I caught the worst food poisoning in years.

Ditto, in Pattaya in front of BBB for me....never since have I eaten off a Thai food cart and it scared me away from Mexican street food as well.....it was that bad, horrible....and it happened over 20 yrs ago 😬

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

Ditto, in Pattaya in front of BBB for me....never since have I eaten off a Thai food cart and it scared me away from Mexican street food as well.....it was that bad, horrible....and it happened over 20 yrs ago 😬

PTSD?😮

13 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Ever since then, I avoid such food stands 

I on another hand buy some grilled snacks from than on almost daily basis and never ever had a problem. I guess Hong Thong helps ( for uninitiated or sophisticated, Hong Thong is cheapest Thai 'whisky"). I always try to have small bottle of it at hand just in case some guest will visit me to check my stamp collection or something

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

I on another hand buy some grilled snacks from than on almost daily basis and never ever had a problem. I guess Hong Thong helps ( for uninitiated or sophisticated, Hong Thong is cheapest Thai 'whisky"). I always try to have small bottle of it at hand just in case some guest will visit me to check my stamp collection or something

If you watch them grill it in front of you, from raw,  you should be OK. It's when the food cools, is left, and is reheated that problems  occur

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

STD can be cured but vacation days spent in the bathroom will never be retrieved and are lost forever

True, but STD also means lost days, or weeks!

12 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

If you watch them grill it in front of you, from raw,  you should be OK. It's when the food cools, is left, and is reheated that problems  occur

Cooking, assuming the heat is high enough and long enough, may kill the bacteria, but while the food was sitting in the humid heat, the bacteria would have produced toxins. Some toxins, such as that produced by Staphylococcus, are heat resistant, so cooking or reheating does not denature them.