reader

Record-Breaking Heatwave Continues

From Pattaya News

image.jpeg.415a95ef7c97b05c288869b7df100682.jpeg

Thailand continues to experience a record-breaking heat wave, with temperatures pushing power demand to unprecedented levels across the nation.

According to the Thai Meteorological Department, more than three dozen districts across the country’s 77 provinces recorded their highest temperatures ever for April, traditionally the hottest month. Some records surpassed previous highs set as far back as 1958.

In Bangkok, the heat index, which accounts for humidity, reached a “very dangerous” level above 52 °C, creating extreme discomfort and potential health risks. Meanwhile, the northern province of Lampang recorded a high of 44.2 °C, nearing the country’s all-time highest temperature of 44.6 °C observed in previous years.

15 hours ago, vinapu said:

I feel sorry for those planning trip there in near future  

I was one of them but decided to pull out - tripus interruptus.

With climate change well and truly upon us, who knows what weather to expect these days?

We arrived in Japan at what we thought was the start of the cherry blossom season this year and started to panic when we saw that there were still only buds on the trees. Due to climate change the blossoms bloomed the latest in 10 years. Luckily, we were there long enough to see them in all their glory.

I feel sorry for all those tourists who had booked cherry blossom trips and missed out.

I'll keep an eager eye on Bangkok temperatures. I can't wait to get back there.

Having lived for more than half my life in the middle of nowhere in Western Australia the heat never bothered me that much (humidity is a killer though and I never got used to it) but a couple of trips to the Philippines and Vietnam at the wrong time of year I just about melted it was that hot. Next trip to Thailand is coming soon and it will be in the wet season and humidity 🙃 

4 hours ago, a-447 said:

With climate change well and truly upon us, who knows what weather to expect these days?

We arrived in Japan at what we thought was the start of the cherry blossom season this year and started to panic when we saw that there were still only buds on the trees. Due to climate change the blossoms bloomed the latest in 10 years. Luckily, we were there long enough to see them in all their glory.

I feel sorry for all those tourists who had booked cherry blossom trips and missed out.

I wouldn't postpone any trip due to weather as it tends to change so there's always hope ( and a danger of deterioration ) . Wild swings intensified , I agree but are not complete new . I have daily habit of checking   temperatures history in my city ( easy click, they have it ready) and for yesterday May 1st it varied from +28 to -2 with snow, both extremes within living memory.

Those missing cherry blossoms still had whole Japan to discover so I wouldn't be too sorry for them.  

Even the Philippines is melting, travelled many times to the Philippines and never seen the temps so high and that have persisted for so long, at least in my  favoured part it's still quite nice (up in the mountains in and around Baguio). Link below shows the 5 day highest heat index and it looks damn hot and to quote Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam "It's hot! Damn hot! Real hot! Hot as it is, is my shorts I can cook things in it, a little crotch-pot cookin".

Philippine heat index

On 5/1/2024 at 11:47 PM, a-447 said:

Going to see Sakura is always a risk, I happened to be there once on business, and by chance, saw the trees in all their glory. This was in Tokyo, and I was playing golf, with the trees covering parts of the course.  The Sakura season, so to speak, starts in the far south, and moves north, so if you have time, you can travel to the right place. There is a dedicated media channel  that gives you all the info. And if you are lucky you can attend one of the many Sakura parties!

Yes, I followed the daily cherry blossom report on TV but it kept changing in line with the unpredictable weather.

But we didn't have any particular time -frame; we stayed there until we saw them in full bloom in Kyoto, Tokyo and other areas.