ggobkk

On my way...

Another - more recent (2013) - movie that deals with the plight of those POWs who were forced to build that railroad is "The Railway Man".

I agree that the railway track and the bridge aren't very impressive from today's point of view, but considering the primitive machinery available, malnutrition, lack of even the most basic healthcare, climate and terrain, it must have been a living hell for these poor souls.

Kanchanaburi is west of Bangkok. Going to Kanchanaburi in style would be by train (but van or bus is faster and more frequent).

The novel is "The Bridge over the River Kwai",

the movie is "The Bridge on the River Kwai".

Thanks, ChristianPFC...prepositions make for interesting thoughts. The bridge, or part of it, was on the river only after it was bombed. Then it was "in" the river, another preposition.

Whatever it is , bottom line is Kanchanaburi is interesting and affordable side trip for those vacationing  in Bangkok and everybody  should be encouraged to treat himself with it.

Sobering thoughts putting our comfortable lives in a perspective  but also nice scenery and a lot of greenery provides nice reprieve from concrete jungle of Bangkok. I'd not take boy with me for such day trip though as chances he will be interested in cemetery  and museum are none. 

Good, fast paced report and easy to follow. Too bad you derailed to the hospital on your way to Arena but most likely it was smart move. Our bodies tend to catch nasty things in the tropics faster than at home.

Big change to the midnight show at Screwboys compare to my visit in December  and not for good one , I guess boys in brown had said something to tone show down big time. Hope happy days will return.

Guest ronnie4you

I went to the bridge many years ago. A friend and I hired a Mercedes sedan that came with a guide and a driver. They were wonderful and the whole day's cost was only $60US. On returning, we rented the movie and were so surprised to find that it was nothing like the true story. Even the bridge wasn't the same., But it was interesting being there and knowing how many had lost their lives. The cemetery was quite moving.

Thanks for your report, ggobkk, as it brought back some good memories, even if they aren't accurate! :) The main reason we rented the movie was due to the fact that our suite at the Dusit Thani came with a butler, very cute. We had nothing for him to do, so he was pleased to get the movie for us.

Good report. Thanks for it as I am learning about Jomtien area which I did not visit while in Pattaya. Good tips for a future trip!

Said before but so sad about removing the trees on Dongtan. I assume we will have to wait to know for sure if the chairs and shops are coming back

Guest samebb

Yup! Nit at hotmale 2 is very popular hehe.... too hot for words! Haven't known him by that name or a while, had to think! 

Thanks again for the great report! 

Came at a bad time, only two boys.  

One of the boys, is tall, smiles (Vinapu rule), and why not.  

while its good to have a choice in reality whether it's bar or massage we need only one boy so as long as whoever is present fits in our dreams we are winners.

Once in Fundoshi spa in north Bangkok I arrived to be told that no boys are available , only sole guy manning  reception. Since it was too far to return empty handed I took up his offer and it was one of more memorable massage experience I ever had.

I'm glad to hear my advice about smile served you well.   Banana is another place along with Arena , Senso and Bangkok Massage soi Twilight  I never left disappointed

I get some food at Maxi’s.  

Perfect vantage point for shy types. One my have a meal and under that disguise survey boys available at Bangkok Massage , just across the soi without any pressure. Everybody who is not comfortable with selection  process can treat that as training exercise.

Dick's beside Bonny's further in the soi  is good as well.  

Hmmm Nit sounds very nice, thanks for the reports, only 3 more days and I head off to Bangkok

Yup! Nit at hotmale 2 is very popular hehe.... too hot for words!

Is hotmale 2 the open air bar downstairs Hotmale? There is also one opposite on the right side, or they both are hotmale 2? Been to Soi Twilight countless times; still need to learn sitting out in an open air bar, BKK is always too hot.

Nit sounds like my kind of boy (also recounted by  ggobkk's later post). :)

Soi Twilight map (2013)

map is actual one , only new thing is replacement of Balls bar at end of soi  with some open air restaurant.

in 2013 Zeus bar beside Dicks  / shown as grey area on the map / was still operational, it closed at Christmas time in 2014. Zeus is still standing at front I guess

Guest ronnie4you

MBK...that reminds me. Last time I was there, I bought a dashcam. The price I negotiated is about what I would pay to buy it on Amazon, and the instructions would have been in English. So far I have not figured it out. They gave me this packet with two little items, one is 16GB. They don't seem to go into the camera, so I don't know what to do with them.

Anyway, thanks ggobkk for the reports. I enjoy them, especially when I am far from Thailand and needing a fix!

I also have been tempted to buy electronics at MBK, roaming around the countless stalls and thinking of all the bargains that must be there... but no.  Prices are no better than in the US.  Amazon usually offers free returns for a month or so, and other online stores have even better deals.