spoon

Trip report: Bangkok, Hua Hin, Kanchanaburi July-Aug

Now that im home, i can finally get to replying all the comments 

Great report...especially liked this description

"the rest were loitering around the back sofa like seals sunbathing on the rock lol."

Waiting for next chapter

Yes. I thought that image was perfect too. It made me laugh.

That is what they look like lol. As my trip is during low season, most of them didnt really watch their diet, some might be bulking up to increase their sizes. as a matter of fact, there is this one guy actually on the sofa laying down, exactly like a seal lol

lol There is an another admirer among the forum members. His name is Song and he doesn't come in everyday. So when you see him at Jupiter you should grab him really fast. He sure has a very nice body.

Haha you couldn't have described better than this!

Thanks for report. It's great to read about my favourite gogo bars.

Yes, I travel with a similar philosophy..."it's part of the adventure".  

I'm enjoying your reports very much and your belief that reporting is payback to the Forum and what's been posted before.  I learned much (and am still learning) from reading posts and report when I return from my trips.  Keep "adventuring".

Yup, when i saw him, i immediately thought that vinapu would love to have this guy and i was right lol with his look and almost perfect physiques, i am not surprised if he have more admirer. He dont look thai though, maybe mixed?

Dusit Thani is in its final year of operation. It closes at end of June and will be demolished (along with other Dusit properties on lot) and replaced by high-rise complex of hotel, apartments, offices and shopping mall.

Agoda is offering rate of about 4k bht in early December.

One of the reason i wanted to stay there is because of the news saying that they will demolish it by 2018. I wish the government would intervene, at the very least make the older main building a historical building. The fact that the price is much cheaper just make the booking much easier.

Great report...

Thanks for report. It's great to read about my favourite gogo bars.

Great report and even greater is the fact that you promised report of your trip and you kept your word.

I'm enjoying your reports very much and your belief that reporting is payback to the Forum and what's been posted before. 

Great report from soi Twilight ,I read it twice, thank you. Waiting for more !!!

Hi spoon, thanks for brilliant report. I felt as if I were at Soi Twilight right now, you got a talent!

Spoon, thanks for your report.  

Interesting trip report. Thank you, spoon!

Thanks all! I tried my best to keep the report interesting and informative as well. 

I have arrived home safely and a bit tired from all the travel and fun and also realllly want to forget the fact that ill be working tomorrow lol 

Thanks for such a good trip report.

I learned (here, a while back) that masseur can be chosen at Prime. Every time since, I have chosen using the iPad. Only been discreetly offered a hj once, I think. I declined. I never go for hj anyway, but for a, usually, great massage.

Hi spoon. What about Hua Hin? Did you go there? I was interested in hearing about Hua Hin, because Imthink I will visit there my next trip.

They still strictly enforced the no smoking no handphone usage when i was there, and since i dont smoke, it works pretty well for me. It is still expensive to just be there and have boy with you though, but some of us can afford that luxury more than once.

No handphone usage ? WTF? Did I read wrongly?

[...] i remember reading somewhere before that there is a one day pass for BTS that cost 140THB for unlimited BTS rides. Since we will be taking BTS few times today, we decided to purchase the pass. We definitely saves money using this pass plus we dont have to queue each time we wanted to buy the one way ticket, as well as to queue at the change counter for coins. For this reason alone, we feel the pass is definitely worth the price. Asok to Mochit alone already cost 40thb, and back to hotel in asok, went to siam then to saphan thaksin to take the boat to wat pho and back to asok. Total cost 175thb so a minor saving of 35thb and no queueing at all. 

another option for the semi-frequent BTS user, who doesn't ride enough in one day to make the unlimited pass worthwhile is just getting a standard rabbit card for his stay in BKK. It is a stored value (or stored trips, but that's no value for the tourist) card that can be purchased at any BTS counter. It costs a fee of 50 Baht (which is lost, i.e. a true cost) and a deposit of 50 Baht which is fully refunded upon return of the card. The card can be topped up in increments of 100 Baht, and any remainder is also refunded. Costs of trips are simply deducted from the card's balance at the regular, single ride fare. 

While this option doesn't save any money, indeed costs 50 baht just to have, it affords the sometimes extreme convenience of NOT having to queue at the ticket machines, or even twice to get change before getting the ticket from the machine. The queues can be insane, especially at rush hour and at Mo Chit around closing time of Chatuchak market, so well worth IMHO.

And thanks so much for a great and well written report! :-)

Thanx for the report :)

On more boring side - did you come for massage inside Wat Po? Do you know they have a school outside the temple's premises in the nearest sois?

Yes, i went inside the temple. I didnt know at that time they have other branches lol, but later find out they even have one in sukhumvit soi39. But the one in the temple have a lot of massuers, male and female. Not sure if the branches have enough if u go during busy time.

another option for the semi-frequent BTS user, who doesn't ride enough in one day to make the unlimited pass worthwhile is just getting a standard rabbit card for his stay in BKK. It is a stored value (or stored trips, but that's no value for the tourist) card that can be purchased at any BTS counter. It costs a fee of 50 Baht (which is lost, i.e. a true cost) and a deposit of 50 Baht which is fully refunded upon return of the card. The card can be topped up in increments of 100 Baht, and any remainder is also refunded. Costs of trips are simply deducted from the card's balance at the regular, single ride fare.

While this option doesn't save any money, indeed costs 50 baht just to have, it affords the sometimes extreme convenience of NOT having to queue at the ticket machines, or even twice to get change before getting the ticket from the machine. The queues can be insane, especially at rush hour and at Mo Chit around closing time of Chatuchak market, so well worth IMHO.

And thanks so much for a great and well written report! :-)

I used this similar card during my tokyo/osaka trip, and they even have minor discount for card user. I noticed most thai are using the rabbit card as well. If u didnt use enough bts in one day, rabbit card is definitely a great alternative to avoid the queue

And there is another benefit for seniors, one of the cards (MRT) is half price!  I bought that card first and than tried to buy the senior discount card at Silom station for the BTS system but was told they do not have senior discount cards!?

By the way, talking about seniors, it is worth remembering that if you are in the otherwise unfortunate position of being 70 or over, you can use the special immigration processing section for persons variously handicapped by age or infirmity on the check-in floor of Suvarnaphumi instead of shuffling, goosey-gander-like through that upstairs and downstairs nightmare of shoving and elbowing through regular immigration and security. It is the one advantage that I can think of in being of - ahem! - that age - although, I must say, I did have the satisfaction of the immigration officer challenging my eligibility on the last occasion and my having to point out to him the date of my birth on my passport. It's probably a better idea to ask when you check in for the special pass that they give out to enable use of that facility.

By the way, talking about seniors, it is worth remembering that if you are in the otherwise unfortunate position of being 70 or over

Well, there is another way of looking at it:

“I kept thinking of a remark Maurice Chevalier once made when someone asked how it felt to be 71,” said Mr. Goren the other day. “He said, ‘Wonderful, when you consider the alternative.'”

Kanchanaburi Death Railway and Sai Yok Noi Waterfall 30th July

Sorry for the late updates, been busy with work.

don't be sorry , we appreciate that you remember about us. I'm sure I speak for many here.

Your adventure with ATM chillingly reminds us not to relay on it as a sole source of funds, specially if in foreign country.

I had such refusal by ATM in Thailand few times but at least cards were always returned. It's good to have an access to more thank one account just in case i.e. checking account as well as cash advance from credit card or line of credit.

Even if everything is set with bank properly we may still have a problem when power goes off or your  bank system goes down .

Since I went through that including my own country now when travelling on the first day I always put aside some money roughly equivalent of 30-50 USD , in Thailand 1000 baht , always have it on me but it's forgotten till last day. Like you even if everything is prepaid I feel very uncomfortable without some  funds on me as one never knows.

Great report from Kanchanaburi , way you went , with train is actually more fun than taking van tour from  BKK , only advantage of van is that is A/c 'd.

Day without boy in bed is OK but night?

Very sorry to hear about your problem at the ATM.

The same thing happened to me in Barcelona. Even though I had notified my Bank I would be traveling there.

Even worst the same Credit Card was refused at the hotel...

GRRRR

Tired to call the number for my US Bank. But again the call would not go through.

I later found out you must ASK for an International Operator to handle the Collect Call...

So nothing to do but use a different Credit Card.

Never got a satisfactory response from my first Bank as to why they denied my card, so I cancelled their Card.

F**K THEM

As you said not a good experience...

Take care...