Guest Sanook222

"Theft" from minibar

A souvenir? Was the boy told "not to take anything from the refrig"? :mad:

Probably not.

But then is a shoplifter told not to take anything from the store without paying?

Alexx has probably got the right idea - just consider it a bit rude.

Then like z909, I'd move on. I certainly wouldn't let it ruin my holiday.

The likelihood is the hotel staff did not steal anything, their jobs are on the line and checking the minibar is just one of their duties. I inventory the minibar and tell bf everything is off limits except complimentary water. Then a visit to the local 7-11 and replenish the minibar with my own items. Your experience is not unusual when dealing with barboys.

Never accuse anybody of stealing unless you are 100 % sure it was a case. ChristianPFC on his blog  recently reported theft by the boy but since all is on camera that's  fair, not to mention he likes the boy and still is willing to see him , next time with better lock I presume 

Went to read Christian's blog about this incident. No offence but Christian was setting the boy up.

I am a believer to not place 'vulnerable' people in situations where they are 'lured into' committing a theft (No, I did not mean taking a small bottle of whiskey worth 500 baht is a theft). Christian's case is such a situation.

I recall my personal experience years ago. I was staying at the old Le Meridien hotel (now Holiday Inn Bangkok across Intercontinental). I went downstairs to buy cigerrettes but forgot to lock the bag (with combination locks) and I had a wallet inside awash with cash - my home currency. I discovered the wallet missing when I returned some 20 minutes later. Long story short, I got my money back evetually and one of the cleaners was the thief.

My point is the lure of that much money was too great for a (poor) cleaner to resist so I was to blame in part. Another lesson I learnt was staying at a good hotel helped (in this case I recovered all money which was 'temporarily lost'). Imagine this happened in a massage shop (as a447 recounted his experience) or an 'anything goes' hotel? I was about to chalking that to experience.

Had some personal experience with one of the BT hotels.

On one occasion I checked out and the reception said I had a bottle of water. Pretty sure I did not take but I paid up (60 baht or something). Did not give a second thought about it. Maybe I forgot maybe a boy took it; never mind.

A few months later, exactly same situation, I said this time I did not take the water. And the hotel reception said 'OK, you not pay', which was appreciated. Not because I saved some money but because the attitude and management of the hotel. And I am happy to return. I gave some thought at that moment - could well be the cleaners; but (disclaimer) I do not have proof. :)

As I climbed back in the car I noticed my windbreak on the floor by the passenger seat.  A sudden sinking feeling came over me.  I quickly located the checks in one of its pockets.  My first thought was to just get the hell out of there but then I though of the young guy I had falsely accused in front of his friends. I swallowed my pride and returned to the club.  I approached the boy and apologized as sincerely as I could.  He replied in a quiet voice, "I told you I didn't do it, why didn't you believe me?" I had no answer but I turned and looked toward the on-lookers and announced that i had been wrong and that this guy was no thief.  No one said a word.  I left in humiliation, knowing that i deserved every bit of it.

I applaud your humility and courage!

We are all (fallible) humans after all. We can't help drawing conclusions on things happening to or around us.

Till this date, I stil think I am right about my 'accusation' of a certain Bangkok massage shop despite so many loyal supporters uttering kind words. The bottom line is, if nothing else, the shop has been poorly managed.

Vinapu wrote:

"It could be a theft but definitely neither 'exactly' nor 'clearly'"

In fact, it is "exactly" and "clearly" theft.

In law "theft" is defined as

a) an act in which property is taken without the knowledge and consent of the owner

b) the intent is that the owner will be permanently deprived of the object ; i.e. the person who took it had no intention of ever giving it back.

But taking a bottle of whisky out of the fridge (do people keep whisky in a fridge?) is hardly a "crime" as such. It is a misdemeanour.

That's why I think Alexx's interpretation makes sense.

But vinapu, I appreciate your view of the guys and commend you for your generosity of spirit towards them.

Theft by hotel staff is rare indeed, especially in poor countries where having such a job is coveted by those lucky few.

In all my years of staying in hotels I've only ever had one thing stolen by a member is staff - I had my mobile phone stolen from my room safe in Siem Reap by one of the young workers.

I will certainly do that from now on. Would you believe this place even has a sign on the fridge saying it's not allowed to use it for "outside beverages". WTF?!?

I certainly hope you got the Room at a most Reasonable Rate!!

Sounds like the Hotel does not have any margin for Guest Accommodation...

Many years ago I went to Chiang Mai with a friend from Bangkok.

We stayed at the Montri Hotel just at the Ta Pae Gate.

After staying there 5 nights we went to check out.

The House Keeper came running to the Front Desk with a can of Nuts.

My friend told me she was saying we had opened the can and did not pay the 150 B charge.

Since I had left her a nice tip in the room I was surprised at this happening.

My friend swore he had not opened the can. And of course I had not checked on arrival.

Anyway, I lost it and did an Ugly American. Refusing to pay for the nuts.

The Hotel Manager did not insist and I did not offer!!!

I guess my friend Lost Face. He hardly spoke to me on the flight back to Bangkok.

CHEERS

But in this case, I don't think it was the case of a boy helping himself to a drink from the fridge.

He was actually helping himself to a whole bottle of whisky which he would not be sharing with the farang.

Exactly.

Having a water on the premises is normal behaviour.

Secretly making off with a bottle of whiskey is theft.

If the person it has happened to isn't 100% sure of situation, I'm pretty sure no one else here is sure. Unless I knew 100% what has happened, I would not want to call anyone a thief in that instance.

As for minibars, I never use them, though I can't say I check it properly either. In future I will consider asking for it to be removed.

I've never had any issues with boys, though I always lock all valuables away while they are in my room so the risk is minimal. In this instance I would simply move on.

He was actually helping himself to a whole bottle of whisky which he would not be sharing with the farang.

If it's from a hotel minibar, wouldn't it be one of those miniature bottles, good enough for one or two drinks?  Do you share that with anyone and how much do they cost?  I've never consumed anything from a minibar other than complimentary water so I'm genuinely curious.  I don't touch the little chocolate bars or crisps either.  Was this one of those Thai whiskeys?  I think I might have seen a 'larger' bottle but can't really remember now.  There's always a 7-11 or convenience store nearby for me to worry about what's in the minibar.

I had a good friend who was living in Thailand. His beloved boyfriend was continually stealing money from him. He refused to give him up; he was deeply committed to him. My advice to him was never ever to leave money lying around, not just for his own sake but to protect his boyfriend by not placing temptation in his way. It is wrong to tempt others to commit a misdeed.

If it's from a hotel minibar, wouldn't it be one of those miniature bottles, good enough for one or two drinks? 

I would not assume it's a miniature.

The one that went missing from my room 10 years ago was one of those that is about 350cc & I think it was priced at around 500 baht.   

I've seen similar sizes in other Thai hotels.

and even now typing it 50 odd years later I think my blood pressure is rising to 220/150 at recollection.  

---

Uff, blood pressure back to 120/80

If your blood pressure raised to 220/150 you would not have finished typing your post.

What is worse, taking whiskey bottle out of mini bar or lying about blood pressure?

But vinapu, I appreciate your view of the guys and commend you for your generosity of spirit towards them.

Theft by hotel staff is rare indeed, especially in poor countries where having such a job is coveted by those lucky few.

thank you , as for generosity of  spirit you got it right, I take care to have some spirit  (Thong Hong or Thai whisky ) in my fridge and never fail to ask boys if they want some. Surprisingly perhaps lots of them decline , must try some single malt Scotch next time. 

As for honest of hotel staff in Thailand I may sing only praises. On the last trip i was leaving my tablet in plain view on the desk and I'm still proud owner, left camera two or three times, the same. Two days before departure I   purchased set of newly issued commemorative banknotes , total face value of 1670, left in the white envelope only partially covered by the book on the desk. I still have it. 

It has happened to me before in the past. Sometimes I think it was a mistake by the establishment and other times it was guys helping themselves to the contents of my Mini bar without asking permission in a few times when I was either in the shower or sleeping.

Did it bother me? Yes. I just paid the bill and moved on. Would I have those guys back in my Room again? No.

Calling to ask housekeeping to remove ALL of the mini-bar beverages and snacks while waiting for the bags to be delivered to my room has worked for me for years. After settling in I can head out and stock the room myself - then there's no problem with someone helping themselves to what's there... in fact, it's nice to be able to offer them that.

Cash and valuables should be secured any time you're not planning to use them, I'd say. 

If it's from a hotel minibar, wouldn't it be one of those miniature bottles, good enough for one or two drinks? .

I assumed it was a big bottle. If you go into a liquor store ask for a bottle of whisky they give you a large bottle, not a miniature.

But you're right - it could well have been one of those miniatures. Even more reason to just put it down to experience and forget about it.

My regular guys all know they have full access to the minibar so there's never a problem. Even so, they always ask if it's ok to have a drink. And if we walk into a 7/11 they know they can buy whatever they want. They have never taken advantage of this over all these years and usually say they don't need anything.

It's the one-offs who buy all the hair products at 7/11 or when offered a drink in the room, take a Heineken and only have a sip.

A few months later, exactly same situation, I said this time I did not take the water. And the hotel reception said 'OK, you not pay', which was appreciated. Not because I saved some money but because the attitude and management of the hotel. And I am happy to return. I gave some thought at that moment - could well be the cleaners; but (disclaimer) I do not have proof. :)

This is a common scam - this time carried out by the receptionist

He claims that there is a bottle missing...

- If you pay he issues a receipt from a "shadow" receipt book (20 B in Friendship supermarket) and pockets the money

- If you refuse to pay, he waives the charge and makes you feel happy and everyone seem professional

On the missing whiskey - one other possible scenario is:

Previous occupiers in room used the whiskey, dozey house keeper never noticed and never replenished it between stays  (or noticed it after the occupiers moved out and it was too late - so is now trying to pawn it off on you)