floridarob

Dress code during Royal Cremation Period Oct 13-27

in Bangkok there'll be some expectations that even foreigners will to conform - especially during the actual cremation ceremony days october 25-27.  The gov't did advise tourists to avoid Bangkok those days.  Official word still unclear, but probably expect entertainment areas to be subdued at a minimum, and maybe even closed 25-27.  In the resort areas as usual more relaxed vibe, so probably best to take the government's advice and stay out of Bangkok.  

...was 10 days of mandated mourning, included EVERYONE, even tourists...

I'm of firm believing that such mandated mournings are  actually disrespectful to a deceased and patronizing , like grown people are assumed to need an instruction how to behave and dress during funeral. 

I'm of firm believing that such mandated mournings are  actually disrespectful to a deceased and patronizing , like grown people are assumed to need an instruction how to behave and dress during funeral. 

Yeah, but it was Fidel...and his brother mandated it. Otherwise, there would have been celebrations in the street,lol

No liquor or music (not even subdued or on the black market) for the 10 days....Friends that usually can do/get anything behaved because they were that afraid of being jailed..... 

As a tourist, I'd simply refrain from wearing colorful clothes. Whether or not it's a good idea to visit Thailand this month really depends on what kind of vacation one has in mind. Those who are after party and entertainment will probably run into some restrictions.

It will be an interesting period. My last night in Pattaya last year was the night the King died so last night plans (and the LT planned with a boy from Toy Boys I had my eye on all that week) went to custard and the next day left for a planned week in Bangkok which  lasted 2 nights before I jumped on a plane to Phuket.  for 4 days. This year deferred my usual October trip to November so looking forward to arriving 4 November.

I certainly disagree.  I'm glad I will be in Bangkok during this period and I think the ceremonies that have been planned and the sincerity and depth of emotion shown by the Thai people over the last year is very respectful.  

Thailand also has a recent history of tourists behaving badly, so I think it is perfectly fine for the government and the travel industry to alert people to what is going on and the sort of behavior tourists can show to demonstrate respect for their Thai hosts.  

I certainly disagree.  I'm glad I will be in Bangkok during this period and I think the ceremonies that have been planned and the sincerity and depth of emotion shown by the Thai people over the last year is very respectful.  

Thailand also has a recent history of tourists behaving badly, so I think it is perfectly fine for the government and the travel industry to alert people to what is going on and the sort of behavior tourists can show to demonstrate respect for their Thai hosts.  

Good to know we will receive first hand account of ceremonies and how BKK will look like during funeral.

You right about tourists  behaving and dressing badly, not necessarily sign of disrespect but can be seen as that, people often don't realize that what is OK at home may be offensive somewhere else ( shorts , short sleeves , head scarfs etc.)

As for disagreement please check your PM 

The dress code certainly does not formally apply to foreigner. Even on Thai people other than government employees it is not a legally enforceable thing. Most (at least in BKK), of course, will comply. However, I would feel very awkward indeed wearing colorful clothes in a sea of black and white. I've not been wearing overly colorful clothes since one year, have gone to even more subdued since Oct. 1st, and will go black from Oct. 13. If tourists are doing this, Thais do appreciate it (I received comments to that effect last year in the weeks after his death), but obviously not all tourist arriving in that period can be aware of any kind of dress code. After all, if the Queen of England were to pass away, no such dress code would be imposed or even recommended (I guess)..

As for things and entertainment being toned down, that will certainly happen. A small indicator might be that since Oct 1st. in shopping malls, supermarkets, BTS and MRT stations and in trains they play somber (mourning) music.Also, some companies, including Tesco-Lortus with all their 1900 branches nationwide as well as Major Cineplex with 119 branches nationwide, have started to announce closure of business onOct 26 to allow employees to follow the ceremonies; more are sure to follow.

Further reading for those interested:

http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/news/everything-you-need-know-about-royal-cremation-period-bangkok

https://kingrama9.bangkokpost.com/

Guest Promsak

As for things and entertainment being toned down, that will certainly happen. A small indicator might be that since Oct 1st. in shopping malls, supermarkets, BTS and MRT stations and in trains they play somber (mourning) music.Also, some companies, including Tesco-Lortus with all their 1900 branches nationwide as well as Major Cineplex with 119 branches nationwide, have started to announce closure of business onOct 26 to allow employees to follow the ceremonies; more are sure to follow.

Further reading for those interested:

http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/news/everything-you-need-know-about-royal-cremation-period-bangkok

https://kingrama9.bangkokpost.com/

Pure speculation of course as no entertainment (bars restaurants etc.) businesses have been officially informed of closures alcohol bans etc. as yet.

Tesco Lotus is closing all of it's stores from 14:00 on the 26th. and Cineplex cinemas will be closed all day on the 26th.

And as Anddy points out there will be more to follow.

No info yet about the 13th.

If they do not expect foreigners to follow the dress code, why put the instructions in English?

I think that's just a translation of what was originally posted in Thai. Otherwise they could have left out some of the government official dresses.

Regardless, floridarob's question in the OP was about tourists, not foreigners in general. Those foreigners who aren't tourists but live in Thailand (myself included) might well be expected to follow the dress code, especially at our workplace or when we have interactions with Thai officials.

Information on how to watch the funeral if you are outside of Thailand

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2017/10/how-to-watch-the-royal-cremation-ceremony-on-television/?utm_content=buffer079c1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The broadcast authorities just ordered all of the TV channels to restore themselves to full color.