ggobkk

Return - as a butterfy

Since Raya did not have any good deals recently I did not stay there for a while and hope my antics there are forgotten, lol.

Great report, I have feeling while reading I just follow your steps, stopping at bedroom door , another thing I like about reports.

You know, as I think back on my last few trips the guys I remember most are VN - they have caused me lots of restless sleep. How bad can they be?

Did they kiss, suck you and bottom ?

I have a couple of observations:

1  I frequently encounter lads from Cambodia & Laos working in Thailand, maybe about 50% of the total.    I hardly ever encounter Vietnamese.

2  On the few occasions I do find them, there is a long list of what they will not do, including pretty much everything that I might part with money for.       ggobkk reports of one who would just top and had other limitations on what he would do, so perhaps I am not alone in what I find.

If there are Vietnamese lads in Thailand who willingly offer the full range of services, where do I find them ?

I've had (for me) a large number of PMs asking for more detail...one asked me about changing money during my visit..

I always consider Vinapu as the resident expert on this and he strongly recommends checking out the booths at the airport by the train departure area.

Since I usually arrive too late to take a train, I change money in town.  There's a lot of Forum history on this and from my checking out banks and change booths last week, the best I saw were close to Twilight, directly across the street, in fact, at CK Exchange (Red Band on front of booth).  Rate was 32.4 to the USD.  The green banded booth nearby was at 32.3.  And, the shop to the left of the Family Mart that is at the entrance to Twilight had a rate of 32.5.  On Silom it was a variant of 31.

It's a quandary...do I bring cash or use my ATM?  I appreciate the convenience of the ATM but the rates are lower (31.8 to the $) and they add on a 220 baht service charge (about $7).  

Any baht left at the end of a trip comes home with me to rest up for the return trip.

.... he strongly recommends checking out the booths at the airport by the train departure area.

And, the shop to the left of the Family Mart that is at the entrance to Twilight had a rate of 32.5.  

It's a quandary...do I bring cash or use my ATM?  I appreciate the convenience of the ATM but the rates are lower (31.8 to the $) and they add on a 220 baht service charge (about $7).  

Any baht left at the end of a trip comes home with me to rest up for the return trip.

it needs to be stressed loudly that while this is true- in Jun in fact I found that there were the best rates I saw in that trip everywhere, only booths on the airport's train station have such good rates. All other in the airport are using  uniform  rate , bit lower than train station ones although difference with city rates is  not as bad as in  some  other countries.

shop to the left of Family mart is Natty Games - pretty much my place if I need to change money in the city although their rates for other currencies than USD may not be that attractive which is also a case with gold shop in soi Thainya, another one with good rates on USD .

I use ATM as last resort due to the same factor - fee on both ends and rate bit lower but if somebody has account without fees , it may be convenient. Another thing to consider when using ATM is limit on daily withdrawals one may have as well as one ATM may have for one transaction.

As for leftover money I recently discovered that my blood pressure medicine is much cheaper in Thailand so I spent it in the airport's pharmacy and  small change left  is given  to random  cleaner . Can't envision  having much more than 1000 something left over as I tend to change money frequently as need arises, 100 $ is one note and is more portable than say 3250 - 6 notes at least. 

Just curious. Does anyone use traveler checks anymore?  I don't but I'm curious.

Stopped using TC's three years ago because of the combination of costs of acquiring and fees for cashing them.

Although they offer security and get a slightly better than cash exchange rate, I now rely on ATM (issued by State Farm Bank) that reimburses all transaction fees from foreign banks.

I use credit cards for hotels and charges in trusted locations (i.e., department stores, supermarkets).

I am resident in Pattaya and 1000 ST is accepted from go go and host bars. ....

Regulars from the apps in Pattaya are 700 to 800 baht ST and some of them work in go go bars. Most guys are not greedy and happy to have a regular customer. If you are here on a short vacation spend whatever you like and enjoy.

nicely wrapped difference between residents and visitors.

Having regulars is option  not available to visitors like me so we may be inclined to pay more just not to miss an opportunity while resident may wait until his offer is accepted , if not today , day after tomorrow.

I agree about most boys not being greedy if they sense possibility regular or even second encounter, they are not stupid and know that 1000 today and 1000 tomorrow is still more than say, 1700 right away. 

From my experience excessive tip requests are not out of greed , rather from some business acumen as they see spark in our eyes and think  ' hey , he is horny , let's try"