ggobkk

Bangkok Again? 5th time a charm...?

2 hours ago, ggobkk said:

Forum member Vinapu's ......... is relentless in gently prodding me for a report on my November 2019 Bangkok visit. 

because I know you are modest and very shy !

Glad to see that I'm not only one who feels that adrenaline bump when de-planing in Bangkok, always , no matter how sleepy I'd be onboard as soon as I feel firm Bangkok ground it' s like   shedding 30 years.

Also happy to hear Yoyo is still in top form and delivers poking into eye all those who are complaining about Viet guys.

Don't worry about notes as you right there, report is emerging in the fullness of time 

ggobkk wrote “I notice that Yoyo will noallow his hair ( a work of art) to get wet. “

And some of the boys do not like his hair touched. 

About 60% of the boys I know go to hairdresser before work to have set  an elaborate gogo boy hair style which cost about 120-150 baht. 

When you see a guy who usually have hair styled but not on the particular day, it means he was drinking till early morning couldn’t get up earlier for the beauty routine. lol

10 hours ago, ggobkk said:

While recovering I had the pleasure of reading about myself in Numazu's scintillating and titillating reports on his three day return visit in which he did more, ate more, and saw more than I did in ten days.  But he is younger and had a lot of catching up to do.  His reports set  a standard...a standard that I will not even attempt to match.

High praise indeed! Thanks!

I definitely ate more LOL, as I think I gained some poundage from all the delicious street food and hot pot.

Argh I don't want to think I set a standard for the trip reports here. Just post it in your style because trip reports remain the bread and butter of this site.

10 hours ago, ggobkk said:

So, to drift back to November 18th, I wake up early to ease myself into a day of travel.  I'm booked on ANA from San Francisco to Tokyo, then after a layover on to Bangkok and a midnight (on the 19th) arrival.  This flight will secure my Star Alliance/United platinum status for one more year...probably, the last as United is shifting its status system to one based on $$$$$ spent rather than the current one that allowed for blending spending with miles flown.  The upside for me, is I can shift from ANA and UA to EVA which delivers west coasters to Bangkok at noon rather than midnight.

ANA uses United's Club lounge in the international terminal.  This lounge, which is due to be renovated, is to put it bluntly "tacky".  United's other lounges at SFO are clean and have a positive vibe.  This one, while clean is messy.  It's sort of a boarding gate with oatmeal and a coffee machine that always seems to be out of order.

I am abandoning United because of this as well, and probably Star Alliance in general. As I post this I am waiting for my flight to Sao Paulo on United, and this segment will extend my 1K to next year. Since I also renewed my Executive Platinum on American Airline from my series of Cathay Pacific legs to BAngkok and Manila from California, I think I'll stick with AA from now on. I prefer Cathay Pacific anyway when going to Asia, and AA ot LATAM to South America. Maybe I'll dip my toe with Delta. Aeromexico sucks but has the flights I need to Mexico.

And yes, the United Club lounges suck in general. I am in the United Polaris Lounge here in IAH though, and they are a marked improvement. Leaps and bounds.

Looking forward to more!

6 hours ago, Jasper said:

ggobkk wrote “I notice that Yoyo will noallow his hair ( a work of art) to get wet. “

And some of the boys do not like his hair touched. 

About 60% of the boys I know go to hairdresser before work to have set  an elaborate gogo boy hair style which cost about 120-150 baht. 

When you see a guy who usually have hair styled but not on the particular day, it means he was drinking till early morning couldn’t get up earlier for the beauty routine. lol

Yes it’s pretty irritating when I shower with boys and they don’t want their hair wet!

16 hours ago, ggobkk said:

His reports set  a standard...a standard that I will not even attempt to match.

I think everyone agrees that @numazu's reports are amazing and outstanding, but that doesn't mean other's can't be. Yours are super delightful and witty in their own way, and I love your choice of words :) 

Thanks for the effort and looking forward to the remaining installments :)

5 hours ago, manuelmendez said:

is the hotel you been is hotel tarntawan surawong? so its mean they finished the renovation? right?

Yes, the hotel is the Tarntawan Surawong. Overall, the renovation is complete...but there is still some tweaking going on around the edges.  Example - the internet is stronger than before. but requires repeated log ins.  Staff is top notch. 

Edited by ggobkk
Didn’t completely answer question asked

On 12/19/2019 at 11:52 AM, ggobkk said:

Folks, I'm not sure how my notes got attached to the end of my report.  I've asked the powers to be to try and remove it.  Apologies.

The powers that be fixed the problem and only the few who read the report early in its posting life will understand. Thank you, Michael!

Yes, the hotel is the Tarntawan Surawong. Overall, the renovation is complete...but there is still some tweaking going on around the edges.  Example - the internet is stronger than before. but requires repeated log ins.  Staff is top notch. 

thanks for the info. the hotel is affordable and good location. quite ease when bringing off guys. i also would like to try raya, just the price more expensive. 

From other sources:

Thai immi/customs is to start screening all luggage, thus also from farang/tourists, by having them at least put it through the X-ray as per 1/1/20=63. Also that idiot card to fill out, system 1950ies, is to be scrapped and to go digital. MY and SIN have already switched to it, so it seems possible in ASEAN. One major reason: it seems they have now 3 or 4 warehouses full of those cards and are not willing to build/hire another one just for this silly thing.

The tipical Thai does not care about il/legal or not, I hear that word in fact only from USAers. For Thai it mostly is perceived as yet another way of the nasty rattabaan=govmt. to suck money out of pleasure seeking people by those BiBs with too tight brown shirts.

Quite another topic the very first time for me for a Lao (really from there) guy in a msg shop, both stark naked as he was walking around the table with a strong and very willing member all the time and kept on talking in incomprehensible Lao about how much fun he got here in BKK what he could not get @ home. One of the guys Iĺl never forget. Many years ago.

22 hours ago, numazu said:

High praise indeed! Thanks!

I definitely ate more LOL, as I think I gained some poundage from all the delicious street food and hot pot.

Argh I don't want to think I set a standard for the trip reports here. Just post it in your style because trip reports remain the bread and butter of this site.

I am abandoning United because of this as well, and probably Star Alliance in general. As I post this I am waiting for my flight to Sao Paulo on United, and this segment will extend my 1K to next year. Since I also renewed my Executive Platinum on American Airline from my series of Cathay Pacific legs to BAngkok and Manila from California, I think I'll stick with AA from now on. I prefer Cathay Pacific anyway when going to Asia, and AA ot LATAM to South America. Maybe I'll dip my toe with Delta. Aeromexico sucks but has the flights I need to Mexico.

And yes, the United Club lounges suck in general. I am in the United Polaris Lounge here in IAH though, and they are a marked improvement. Leaps and bounds.

Looking forward to more!

United polaris lounge in iah is awesome. Ala carte made to order menu is definitely leaps and bound from the sad buffet on their other lounge i went (not polaris) in denver.

1 hour ago, ggobkk said:

Reader tells me he had offed a guy with a name like Yoyo but it wasn't this Yoyo.  

The other Yoyo is a 23-year-old Vietnam. Short but muscular. If I remember correctly, he came to work in Bangkok when he was 18 or 19. He worked at Soi Twilight’s X-Boys then moved to Freshboys. He followed the crew of Freshboys to Banana Bar but he is now back in Vietnam because he found a sponsor who gives him a regular allowance every month. (I wonder who. Lol)

I have not met Screwboys Yoyo. I must endeavour to meet him during this trip. I have read so much about him.

There are actually two Red Dragon. Andy, spoon and I discovered that last night. One bar is manned by boys. The other is manned by Thai aunties. The two bars are separated by the staircase leading up to Freshboys bar.

He changes, which means he takes his tie off. 

Great line...lol.

3 hours ago, ggobkk said:

Another waiter takes their place to avoid any interruption of service to me.

Their service follows the time-honored recipe for making a roux: it must be continuously stirred while being heated.

16 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Is Red Dragon a host bar?

There are some staff from Freshboys bar upstairs who will be there. They will gladly chat you up and try to

A) get you to go to Freshboys bar

or

B) get you to off them

the aunties at the other Red Dragon will try to get you to buy them drinks

9 hours ago, pong said:

From other sources:

Thai immi/customs is to start screening all luggage, thus also from farang/tourists, by having them at least put it through the X-ray as per 1/1/20=63.

all luggage screening on arrival when exiting from the luggage carousels? Will probably cause congestion at busy times....

Also that idiot card to fill out, system 1950ies, is to be scrapped and to go digital. MY and SIN have already switched to it,

SIN has not. Visitors still have to fill out a landing card, though I dunno if from all countries. At least I had to fill it out and hand to the immigration officer when ging to SIN just a week ago....

1 minute ago, DivineMadman said:

The plan - as reported in the press - is that the screening happens before the luggage carousels.  This is already done in the U.S. for flights from some countries/regions.

i.e. in the bowels of the terminal building, before the bags are loaded onto the conveyor belt up to the carousels? 

Searching for what? Doing that BEFORE a flight makes obvious sense, but this?

2 hours ago, anddy said:

i.e. in the bowels of the terminal building, before the bags are loaded onto the conveyor belt up to the carousels? 

yes.  or built atop/around the current conveyor belt system down in the belly of the beast.

2 hours ago, anddy said:

It's a customs screening and not security - so I guess maybe the security screenings and related computer ai systems aren't necessarily designed to catch the same things?  I don't know.   But the new screening of incoming bags is meant to replace the current set up where on the way out through customs agents pick people to have send their bags through the machines.

2 hours ago, anddy said:

Some countries give checked baggage less scrutiny than others. I think the idea is to apply a final check that will be less disruptive than doing it after passenger retrieves luggage.