PeterRS

Something is Moving on the Vaccine Front

I got an email from Bumrungrad Hospital yesterday. It states this - 

"According to the announcement of approval COVID-19 vaccines from The Food and Drug Administration of Thailand and and they will soon be available to the public. We would like your thoughts regarding the COVID-19 vaccine."

For some reason the survey only applies to those aged between 18 - 65. It asks three questions

I'd like to get the vaccine as soon as possible
 I'd like to get the vaccine, but not immediately
 I do not plan to get vaccinated for COVID-19

It points out that this is not a request for reservation. But the fact that it is seeking information at this relatively early stage surely indicates that it will be offering vaccinations sooner rather than later.

Interesting post.

My understanding is that the Oxford vaccine is on its way to Thailand.. or here already.and I thought I read that the private sector can purchase

a quantity.

Also some Euro countries try to claim the Oxford Vaccine not effective for those over 65; the issue has been denied by both the UK and the WHO.( But is a clue to what Bumrungrad may soon be offering as survey aimed at under 65's).

So my guess is Bumrungrad will soon be  privately offering the Oxford vaccine....just my speculation!

• Members
16 hours ago, zombie said:

So my guess is Bumrungrad will soon be  privately offering the Oxford vaccine....just my speculation!

I believe you are right, zombie.  I also received the email from Bumrungrad Hospital.  The photo they are using at the top of the hospital survey is a stock photo of the Oxford / AstraZeneca vaccine vials:

799770708_Bumrungradvaccine.thumb.jpg.1acafc21bfbb2836a47ffeea0133d159.jpg

I, too, received Bumrungrad's email and assumed that "as soon as possible" = Sinovac and "yes, but not immediately" = AZ.  In replying to the survey I mentioned that my 'timing' for when I wanted the vac was quite tied to which vaccine they would be offering and when.

Hasn't the government backflipped on private hospitals buying the vaccines now?  Had read the PM had said it was fine but that appears to have been revoked about a week later. If it didn't interfere with the government's program it shouldn't be a problem. Not being there I'm only getting bits of the news online and knowing how quick things change there anything is possible.

Possible block to private hospitals sourcing vaccine  

As long as there is firstly some token and face saving vaccination of a few "frontline" healthcare workers, will the government really obstruct the commercial activities of hospitals ?  It would be out of character.

The interesting question will be how much mark up will they put on a £4 Oxford vaccine ?

I don't think anyone here would quibble about £3 or 4 per shot.

If a hospital decided to charge £400 per shot (for example), it may well make sense to high risk consumers, but would be hard to accept the principle of such price gouging.

Interestingly, here in London, everyone I know who has had the Pfizer jab, including me, had no side effects, and we are all 70 or over. I believe Pfizer is an mRNA vaccine. Many people I know who have had Astra Zeneca, have had moderate side effects, rigors, nausea, fever etc, though none of these lasted more than 36 hours. 

Malaysia will be getting pfizer vaccine end of this month, with first batch goes to frontliners. High risk group will be second on the line estimated to start by april, and the rest will probably start in may earliest. The gov estimated to have at least 80% of population access to vaccine by end of feb 2022. Itll me a mix of pfizer, astra zeneca, sinovac, sputnik vaccines, with pfizer will be limited to those near the cities due to logistic issue. Cant wait to get myself vaccinated. 

4 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Interestingly, here in London, everyone I know who has had the Pfizer jab, including me, had no side effects, and we are all 70 or over. I believe Pfizer is an mRNA vaccine. Many people I know who have had Astra Zeneca, have had moderate side effects, rigors, nausea, fever etc, though none of these lasted more than 36 hours. 

I've heard the same.  I'll take whichever is offered to me.   Probably in April or May.

I had my 2nd Pfizer vaccination two days ago.  No side effects noticed.  I'm in northern California where the health authorities are expanding the vaccination program - now includes front line workers, over 65', and in three weeks anyone with an underlying condition (generously defined).  Now to figure a way to get to thailand without a mandatory quarantine of 14 days.  

Having had ample opportunity to count, the "14 day" quarantine is 15 nights.

Compare with the "30 day" immigration stamp, which is 29 nights.

It would seem the definition of a day varies according to what is counted.

As for quarantine exemptions for people vaccinated, I predict you can forget that until a good proportion of the Thai population have been vaccinated.

Ask yourself where is the evidence that vaccines are 100% effective at preventing transmission of covid ?    There is none, so it's not an alternative to quarantine.  Not in a country with hardly any covid and near zero vaccinations.

Thailand was gathering test data to establish if 10 day quarantine is sufficient, which I would think is the bes case in the short term.  However, that seems to have been forgotten following the totally unrelated outbreaks with migrant labour in the fishing industry.

21 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Interesting - I’ve had neither yet but out of friends and relatives that have been jabbed, they have experienced the opposite with some of the Pfizer people feeling poorly and flu like for 36 hours but Astra Zeneca no side effects other than feeling a little tired the next day.

2 hours ago, captainmick said:

Interesting - I’ve had neither yet but out of friends and relatives that have been jabbed, they have experienced the opposite with some of the Pfizer people feeling poorly and flu like for 36 hours but Astra Zeneca no side effects other than feeling a little tired the next day.

each of us is different chemical factory and it's not surprising we react differently 

As far as I know, the published data shows none of the vaccines are 100% effective at preventing infection. 

So to get to them being 100% effective at preventing transmission is something I can't envisage.

The good news is the trial data tended to show approximately 100% prevention of severe disease.

On a good note for Australians, the second vaccine has now been approved for use, Pfizer was the first one and now Astrazeneca make up the two so far. Doesn't mean anything for international travel though but at least it's a start. 

On 2/13/2021 at 12:47 PM, Keithambrose said:

I had my 1st Pfizer jab two weeks ago. Very slight soreness at jab site over the next 24 hours but no worse that any other jab. 

On 2/13/2021 at 12:47 PM, Keithambrose said:

I had the first Oxford vaccine jab last week. Felt slightly unwell the following night, but nothing serious, and all cleared up by the following morning.