TomNg

Songkran question

2 hours ago, TomNg said:

During Songkran weekend 4/12 - 4/14, where would it be more fun to be at: Bangkok, Pattaya or Chiang Mai?

My opinion is in Bangkok in the Silom area. Pattaya has the most fun on April 18th and 19th

19 hours ago, vinapu said:

don't be surprised  if somebody responds ' as far from all three as possible'  as Songkran seems to be one of those events people tend to have strong opinion about. 

Thank you vinapu for answering this question on my behalf :)

My plane on Don Muang airport to leave Bangkok and fly to Bali is scheduled on 12 April in the morning...

Not a fan of songkran but I don't hate it, what I do hate is when you get dressed up nicely to go out at night (cabaret, show etc) and some twit thinks it's funny to throw a bucket of ice cold water over you. If you plan on wanting to go out and stay dry then I suggest you get a taxi to come to the hotels front door or you will get soaked. 

On the topic of Songkran, just wondering how is the crowd like in Bangkok after that weekend? (E.g. will it continue to be crowded throughout April or most would leave after the Songkran weekend)

6 hours ago, Shax said:

On the topic of Songkran, just wondering how is the crowd like in Bangkok after that weekend? (E.g. will it continue to be crowded throughout April or most would leave after the Songkran weekend)

I'm not in position to give you firm answer but judging by the drop in hotel prices right after Songkran weekend  I suspect that crowds are thinning out right after celebrations are over. Hopefully somebody with real experience will confirm (or not) 

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

I'm not in position to give you firm answer but judging by the drop in hotel prices right after Songkran weekend  I suspect that crowds are thinning out right after celebrations are over. Hopefully somebody with real experience will confirm (or not) 

Thanks for the reply @vinapu. I'm planning a trip to BKK end of April, hoping to miss the Songkran crowd 😅

On 2/17/2024 at 4:19 PM, TomNg said:

Hi everyone,

During Songkran weekend 4/12 - 4/14, where would it be more fun to be at: Bangkok, Pattaya or Chiang Mai?

Thanks

Locked in my room from 12th to 14th  (12/4-14/4) with sufficient beer! Actually longer this year, damn.

22 hours ago, Shax said:

Most years, there's a noticeable drop off in tourist numbers after Songkran. Overall much less crowded if that's your preference.

I also hide in my condo in  Pattaya from 12th to 16th, then I flee to Bangkok as the nonsense finishes there on 15th, and then return to Pattaya on 20th as 19th is the most stupid day in Pattaya. I see though that the "government" intends to lengthen Songkran this year but I have not seen any details of those plans as yet. I remember on my first trip to Thailand in 1998 that Songkran even in Pattaya was more civilised in those days, with all the water throwing stopping as the sun went down about 6pm so you could dress decently and go out for dinner with no threat of stupid drunk farang dumping buckets of iced water over your head.  

Just for interest --- if you end up here in Bangkok and are really 'pissed off' with all the cretinous farang firing their giant water cannons, make your way to Silom Soi 4 (Sala Daeng skytrain exit 1?), which will be water free (security at the head of the soi to confiscate guns).
These days are the busiest 3 days of the year in soi 4, it will be packed from 7ish till closing, continuously!
My choice is Balcony Pub or Connections.
They open for alcohol at 17:00 and are there, dry, till late.
Oh, and forget stories that it all finishes (the water throwing, at 18:00 or 21:00).  This is Thailand (T.I.T.) and rules are meant to be broken.

Me?    I'll be locked in my room, stocked with Leo Beer.

Oh and another VERY important point ---- do not take money, jewellery, passports etc out with you.  Pickpockets abound.
Everywhere, you will see plastic pouches for sale (about 100 Baht) to keep dry any personal items needed to be kept dry. But they are not thief proof.
Finally, have fun.

I found the schedule of the Songkran Festival in Chonburi province.

But keep in mind that fun watering in Pattaya will be at least from April 13 to April 19. April 18 will be the most fun day on Naklua Street, and April 19 will be the wettest day in all of Pattaya. These days (18 and 19), you should not plan trips around the city, because all transport will be in one traffic jam.

photo44456.jpeg

13 hours ago, vinapu said:

I will suggest you to see how the Songkran is held in the Jomtien complex in 2019. The video is not mine, but I was in that place at the time. Appeared on the video once (in the shadow of the bar, almost imperceptibly)
But I would like to note that in 2023 Songkran is celebrated with great fun, more water