bucknaway

Tipping?

Is over tipping something only done in thailand or do you over pay and over tip when at home also?

Are you as free with your money at home as when you are in thailand? Handing out money to those that appear to need it or are begging for it?

I don't give to beggars here at home. I don't tip the 7/11 workers and I don't over tip the waitress at the Chinese buffet.

In a gogo I tip $1 at a time and tip the bar staff $1 usd.

In thailand the money seems to keep rolling out in every direction, but I try not to over tip. The only exception to that is my hotel maid.

Does that mean I will never over tip anyone? Never say never...

Perhaps, tipping in Thailand is related to one's tipping habits when at home.  I, for one, stay in the same grove as at home when I'm in Thailand.  

I do check the print, if the room's not too dark, to see if service is included.  At home service is rarely included.

Agree on the hotel maid's tip.  A friend told me years back to leave the hotel maid tip each day, it not only perks up service but also makes sure  (since shifts change) that the person who cleans the room gets the tip.  

I tip only small amounts where it is not expected unless I receive really good service. Where tips are expected, such as with massage/offs, I tip well and more again for something really good. I guess that paying £40 instead of £30 for something that might cost me £200 or more at home never seems unreasonable to me. I can't see a down side to doing it, only up sides.

I don't agree with your attitude, if I had a bad service I do not tip at all and if I received a very good service I tip generously .it's all depends on the circumstances.

Im from the UK (now living in up country Thailand).

In restaurants I believe in tipping for good service usually giving 10% of the bill even in Isaan where tips normally are loose coins.

I did have an unpleasant experience in the US, when I went to a restaurant in The Nappa Valley for breakfast, was shown into a back, poorly lit room, had slow service and didn't tip

I was subjected to unflattering comments by the middle aged waitress audible to the rest of the restaurant's customers on my way out.

The idea of tipping is alien to me.

In Germany I very rarely get into situations where a tip could be / would be expected. In Thailand I don't tip.

It's a bit like religion. Some people pray every day and think it does good for their life, others tip and think they get better service. I do neither and do not notice any difference between their life (those who pray or tip) and mine.

Are you as free with your money at home as when you are in thailand? 

whole idea of vacation for me is that I'm not as tight with money on vacation as I'm at home , in fact I'm pretty close to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde situation when comes to my spending habits at home and away.

I always leave my spare change for the maid, on my last trip I racked up so many coins that she told me she put my change in a container for me, I told her it was part of her tip and she told me it was so much change she was afraid to take it haha

I had exactly the same situation once at BBB Inn.

to answer an original question , in Thailand I have strict tipping habits:

maid in hotel 30 every day but not on the last day 

restaurant  if invoice is up to 300 -20 baht, 301-600 -40 baht, over 600 -60 baht, if waiter is cute he may land up to 100 in his palm

taxi driver - rounded to the next 10 baht ie. 67=80, 91=110

beggars in street -10, sometimes more

drinks at bar -20 baht per serving ie. if he brings 2 or 3 drinks at the same time it's still 20  but if I buy another drink  hour or two later he gets another 20.

All tips are going directly to service provider hand, otherwise one never knows who really gets it, only maid's tip is going under the pillow

Tipping is not a culture in my country, and I believe it isnt a culture in thai as well as most asian countries. Of course of u wanted to give money to the poor(not beggar), that is very much appreciated and it is usually done through many channels. There are few syndicates here who actually employ or force employ beggars and collect the income for themselves. They use religion, children, disabled person and always keep a watch of them. There are a lot of NGO that u can contribute if u really wanted to help. Or gives the beggars something to eat rather than money.

That's a good idea to tip the hotel every day instead of just the last. Thx for sharing that. I'm always unsure how much to tip in other countries.

I'm going to save this as it seems like a fair tipping strategy!

whole idea of vacation for me is that I'm not as tight with money on vacation as I'm at home , in fact I'm pretty close to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde situation when comes to my spending habits at home and away.

I had exactly the same situation once at BBB Inn.

to answer an original question , in Thailand I have strict tipping habits:

maid in hotel 30 every day but not on the last day

restaurant if invoice is up to 300 -20 baht, 301-600 -40 baht, over 600 -60 baht, if waiter is cute he may land up to 100 in his palm

taxi driver - rounded to the next 10 baht ie. 67=80, 91=110

beggars in street -10, sometimes more

drinks at bar -20 baht per serving ie. if he brings 2 or 3 drinks at the same time it's still 20 but if I buy another drink hour or two later he gets another 20.

All tips are going directly to service provider hand, otherwise one never knows who really gets it, only maid's tip is going under the pillow

I stopped giving leftover coins to hotel maids a few years ago.

I thought if I were her I'd probably feel degrading to receive a tip in Baht coins. I only leave notes on the bed these days.

I heard this before from both givers and takers and this way of thinking is touching my raw nerve. In my opinion money is money and if I heard it from her / him it would be last tip they got from me.

Not that I don't practice what I preach. In one of soi Twilight bars on the right side ( Zeus or Fresh or XBoys ) waiter tipped 20 baht in two coins actually had nerve   to ask me if  I have a paper and was sternly told "if you don't like , give me back". He did not.

And I had a boy complaining that part of his overnight tip, I think about 1000,  was in 100's , I like him very much but still on subsequent off two or three nights later right in the room I showed him nice stack of 30 red notes and told him this is his tip ready for morning, believe me lesson learned and now I like him even more because of that passionate night.

So yes , if you buy my old car from me for 1000 you can pay it all in 1 $ bills.

That's a good idea to tip the hotel every day instead of just the last. 

there are two reasons for that:

1. if you tip on the last day , throughout your stay personnel will not even know if will be tipped or not so may actually slack on duties, if you tip daily you may find an extra towel,  pack of shampoo or even flower on your bed next day

2. when you are checking out sometimes reception send a staff to check if everything is Ok and this may not be person who was toiling on your room all those days. Knowing hotels habits he/she may pocket your tip.

Greed is universal, I live in first world country and still know a snack bar where all tips left by clients in a jar beside cash register are pocketed by the owner, when tried to put coin there cashier told me don't bother and explained why.  

I leave my used folded towels on the floor and will rest their tip on top of the towels.

When I say change, I'm not talking 18 baht. LOL

you tip whatever you consider appropriate, as explained above  money is money, 18 baht actually buys something useful - soap, two packets of washing powder, tooth brush or MRT ticket from Silom to Hualampong , throw another 2 baht and it's train ticket to Ayuthaya, no kidding. 

I tend to tip hotel maids daily with 40 baht on the pillow. Change I tend to collect through my stay since it's handy for baht bus, etc. On the last day, I leave all my loose change in the hotel room. Generally it's at least a few hundred baht so hopefully they aren't too upset with the coins.

2. when you are checking out sometimes reception send a staff to check if everything is Ok and this may not be person who was toiling on your room all those days. Knowing hotels habits he/she may pocket your tip.

Greed is universal, I live in first world country and still know a snack bar where all tips left by clients in a jar beside cash register are pocketed by the owner, when tried to put coin there cashier told me don't bother and explained why.  

This topic has been interesting and helpful.  Must admit to being naive and not thinking about #2 as a possibility.  My flights home are always early, so it's the night clerk that checks the room (Raya).  

My habits are much the same as vinapu's. And I agree that helping beggars is appropriate in a country that lacks basic social support. 

This is also my feeling.  I don't care for beggars in the US, but in Thailand I see much misery and people who can use my bahts much better than I can.  So giving 20 baht to a disabled beggar is a satisfaction, and I don't think what he does with that money, that is his karma.  Often I am in my room when the maid comes by, and I give a tip of 20 to 40 baht in her hand. The few times I eat in restaurants I tip like in the US that what is common, and I don't tie this to the service unless it is exceptionally good or bad. Otherwise... I have little else to tip since I have not be paying for sex and I don't use taxis.  The MRT and BTS don't expect tips. 

Thais tend to criticize me for over tipping, but that doesn't have any effect on my tipping habits. If I'm the one who pays, I decide how much I tip, otherwise I leave it to those who are paying.

I don't give any money to beggars anywhere in the world. In Bangkok in particular, a lot of the misery we are presented with is more a result of organized crime (gangs) than a dysfunctional social system. I won't support that, not even with 25 satang a pop.

Guest samebb

Is 50bht tip consider an acceptable amount or must it be at least 100bht tip?

I once tip a hotel porter who help me flag a taxi and carry my luggage ... wondering if a 100bht tip be too much :).

He probably earns 310 baht a day (Bangkok minimum wage).

So you tipped him a 1/3 of his daily earnings. Whether too much or not, I am sure he was very very happy.