TotallyOz

It Begins - Curfew imposed over large portion of metro Bangkok

The governor of one of the six provinces comprising metropolitan Bangkok late Tuesday afternoon imposed a curfew on all citizens to stem the spread of the coronavirus.

All of Nonthaburi province, which sprawls northwest of downtown, will observe an 11pm to 5am curfew starting tomorrow under order of Gov. Suchin Chaichumsak. In his signed order, Suchin exempted cargo carriers.

Bangkok is a special administrative region rather than province; the curfew does not apply within its borders.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/curfew-imposed-over-large-portion-of-metro-bangkok/

This is expected to be just the start as other area may follow soon.

On 3/31/2020 at 2:00 PM, Michael said:

All of Nonthaburi province, which sprawls northwest of downtown, will observe an 11pm to 5am curfew starting tomorrow under order of Gov. Suchin Chaichumsak.

I wonder that the scientific justification for this would be ?     

If I had to go out anywhere, the time with the least chance of meeting anyone and catching the virus could be about 2:00 am when on one else is around.

A complete lockdown makes more sense.    A curfew just sounds like the authorities abusing power.   Unless I miss some genuine explanation.

2 hours ago, z909 said:

complete lockdown makes more sense.    A curfew just sounds like the authorities abusing power.   Unless I miss some genuine explanation.

I don't think imposing a corfew is abusing of power but a sign that the authorities are helpless and don't have any clue how to deal with the virus.

45 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

I don't think imposing a corfew is abusing of power but a sign that the authorities are helpless and don't have any clue how to deal with the virus.

While I agree that curfew is pointless in reality nobody has a clue how to deal with a virus and not for lack of trying .

Yes complete lockdown would made a sense but is not workable solution as somebody need to cure sick, bake bread for nurses and doctors and unfortunately dispose bodies of those who wouldn't survive. 

What is hard is that people here are not use to obeying most laws or pay a bit to get out of any issues. This is different and they are confused. Rightly so.

I think curfew makes sense. But, also do not go outside. They will get stronger regulations as time comes. The Cabinet is meeting tomorrow so that may be more stringent rules.

I had a friend went to a hospital and was denied entry for anything but an emergency. Sounds dire to me!

From Bangkok Post

Govt temporarily blocks all travel

The government will block all travel to Thailand, including by Thais, for half a month to prepare "state quarantine" facilities after more local patients have been linked to imported cases.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the government needs time to properly prepare for state quarantine.

"Related agencies will in the meantime prepare the places and coordinate with Thai embassies to ensure all Thais returning home will be quarantined and get proper medical checks," he said.     

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1891790/govt-temporarily-blocks-all-travel

6 hours ago, Michael said:

I think curfew makes sense.

Asking or compelling people to stay indoors 24 hours a day makes sense, as that stops transmission.

However, I fail to see any sense at all in a night time curfew.   When the streets are less crowded, the risk of transmission should be lower.     

What have you seen that am I missing ?      If the objective is to prevent transmission of the virus, why restrict people at the time of the day when the risk of meeting anyone else is at its lowest ?

Night curfew during state of emergency usually done when its hard to differentiate between citizen and enforcement/enemy due to lack of light, making surveillance less effective. Of course in most extreme cases, going out during night curfew might get yourself shot. Itll also help the enforcement, as as yoh correctly point out, usually there are less people around at night, so is enforcement at night. Night curfew will increase the enforcement at night as well. Most crimes also occur at night, and people might try to cross border, travel outside lockdown area at night as well. 

To me any kind of curfew will help. 

Excerpted from Bangkok Post

Nationwide night curfew starts Friday

All people in Thailand are banned from leaving home from 10pm to 4am starting Friday in the government’s latest move to contain the spread of coronavirus.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha announced the curfew on Thursday evening.

Exempted from the curfew are medical and banking personnel, as well as logistic workers handling consumer products, farm goods, pharmaceutical products, medical supplies and equipment, newspapers, petrol, postal parcels, or products to be imported or exported. Movements of people to quarantine places are also allowed.

Other exemptions are people working normal night shifts or those heading to or from airports with necessary documents stating the purposes, or officials working by the announcements or orders and those allowed by officials to leave the house on emergencies.

Violation will result in a jail term of not more than two years and/or a fine not more than 40,000 baht.

Existing curfew orders or announcements in any province with stricter requirements shall remain in effect.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1891810/nationwide-night-curfew-starts-friday

28 minutes ago, z909 said:

Asking or compelling people to stay indoors 24 hours a day makes sense, as that stops transmission.

However, I fail to see any sense at all in a night time curfew.   When the streets are less crowded, the risk of transmission should be lower.     

What have you seen that am I missing ?      If the objective is to prevent transmission of the virus, why restrict people at the time of the day when the risk of meeting anyone else is at its lowest ?

Thais who buy food daily cannot stay indoors 24 hours a day. They need time to do what needs to be done.

Today, I had to go to the market. First time I have left in 2 weeks. The streets were quiet and social distancing was everywhere I saw.

I purchased 6 zucchini to make a veggie chili to last days. Guess how much? 660 baht. I was shocked. All in all, my bill was 15,000 baht for food. That is so much more than normal and I used the same store as always. Prices are much higher. 

Yes, I have enough to last in my place for a while. But, do most Thais?  I don't think so. In most places, they allow for people to go out during the day. It is meant for essentials as there should be no travel between provinces. But, keeping people indoors all day seems good to me but not for most Thais. Just my opinion.

Now, the cost. You and I can afford to weather the storm. Can most Thais?  I don't think so and I know not. I have already turned down over 30 guys in the last week asking for help. It is sad but I can't help everyone that needs it. My ex called recently as he got sick and I asked him to go get checked for CoVid. He went to a Thai hospital. You know how much? 8,000 baht. So, can most Thais afford that? No. And, therefore most will not get tested.

It is a shit show. And, as the privileged, we are definitely in the advantage here. We can't put our minds to Thai thinking. And, I don't know of many Thais who have prepared for the weeks of quarantine like me (or months).

Night time people are up to no good. They are pervs trying to fuck and score and have sex. There are none that are going to play bridge. JK  I don't know any of that but I wanted to say it. Plus, I can't seem to stay awake after 10 so it doesn't affect me in the least. Even when friends are in town, I go to meet them and am tired before the first bar opens.

1 hour ago, Patanawet said:

Curfew now announced. Starting Friday. No one allowed outside between 22:00-04:00. Penalties -- up to 40,000 Baht fine and/or 2 up to 2 years in prison.

Yes, and they said that Governors of different regions can make stricter enforcement to protect the people.

5 hours ago, Michael said:

I purchased 6 zucchini to make a veggie chili to last days. Guess how much? 660 baht. I was shocked. All in all, my bill was 15,000 baht for food. That is so much more than normal and I used the same store as always.

I don't know just who to report things like that to, but you should make a point of finding out and reporting it.  The penalties for price gouging are severe and people are being arrested for it.  Don't think the authorities will just ignore it and do nothing about it.  This is one time they really are doing something about it.

9 hours ago, Michael said:

purchased 6 zucchini to make a veggie chili to last days. Guess how much? 660 baht. I was shocked. All in all, my bill was 15,000 baht for food. That is so much more than normal and I used the same store as always. Prices are much higher. 

15,000 Baht for food ??? Did you buy the entire store ?

It doesn't make any sense .

4 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

I don't know just who to report things like that to, but you should make a point of finding out and reporting it.  The penalties for price gouging are severe and people are being arrested for it.  Don't think the authorities will just ignore it and do nothing about it.  This is one time they really are doing something about it.

I do hope so. I think because I shop at Villa Market, the prices are going to be higher than the average grocery store. I have been using Villa for MANY years in many cities. They are also a bit higher but not this much.

47 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

15,000 Baht for food ??? Did you buy the entire store ?

It doesn't make any sense .

No, only two bags. No steaks. Nothing majorly expensive at all. Veggies, canned goods, lots of beans, rice, frozen bread, frozen items like burritos and french fries, flour, yeast (not in most stores), etc. Things I have bought in the past. But, anything imported is going to be expensive. I ordered from IHerb over 6 weeks ago and it normally takes one week to get to me. It is still in Hong Kong as no flights to get to Thailand now. I to think if I were to shop at a Thai place, it would have been cheaper. However, my Thai friends have said the prices they are paying are also more. And, many items are out and not easy to find (like eggs and milk).

14 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

I agree.    Get photographic evidence and share it on as many media sites as possible, plus e-mail it to the authorities, if you can find the site.  

If other grocery stores are behaving properly, I would be tempted to take business to them on principle.  

By comparison, I've seen none of this price gouging by major retailers in the UK.    Obviously there are fewer special offers, but this might be a good thing when we don't want to encourage unnecessary shopping.    [I have seen attempted price gouging by people selling hand sanitiser etc on ebay]

My plants should be producing almost "free" zucchinni within a month^_^.          

From The Thiager

Covid-19 coronavirus cases in Thailand rose to 1,978 with 103 cases confirmed since yesterday, and another 4 patients dying. 

Today’s number continues a the trend of new cases in Thailand levelling out. 104 new cases were reported yesterday, 120 on Wednesday, 127 on Tuesday.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-news-today-friday-april-3

Rate of new infections continues downward trend

From Bangkok Post

Thailand has recorded 51 new confirmed coronavirus cases -- including 13 health workers -- and three additional deaths on Monday, a health official said.

Total confirmed infections in the country now stand at 2,220, with the cumulative death toll at 26.

The number of confirmed new cases was exactly half the 102 reported on Sunday, and the lowest number of new cases since March 20. With limited testing, it is impossible to say how fast and how widely the novel coronavirus is actually spreadinDr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said the 24th death was a Thai man aged 28 who was an employee at a company in Bangkok. A colleague of his wife had earlier tested positive for the disease.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1894195/thailand-logs-51-new-coronavirus-cases-3-deaths-monday

If that proves an accurate reflection of the situation, then Thailand will have 'escaped' remarkably lightly given the  level of flow of foriegn visitors until comparatively recently.

No one that I know over there has yet been tested, and many of them are now back in their villages.

The actions of government suggest that are perhaps still far more concerned about the situation than they are admitting. 

3 hours ago, jason1975 said:

The number of new Covid-19 cases is declining every day the past 5 days in Thailand. That’s a good sign!

yup, and the number of recovered patients is now larger than the number of hospitalized ones. The number of new recoveries is outstripping the new reported infections and, assuming the new cases remain on their declining trend, will continue to do so. Given new infection numbers from about 2+ weeks ago we should expect around 100 new daily recoveries in the coming week or two, leading to further declines in active cases.

Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Do you believe the numbers being reported?

yes, more or less. Having said that, the reported new cases may be somewhat understated relative to real cases due to a lack of testing. Presumably more tests = more cases. At the same time, IF there were a much larger number of cases, there would be many many more hospital cases and reports of potentially overwhelmed hospitals. There are no such reports.

You think they can control all those news flows so carefully so as to retain a good image? With their chaotic history in managing this crisis that seems unlikely. Besides, higher numbers would justify keeping the strict lockdown measures in place even more than the current falling numbers. So why wouldn't they report higher numbers if they had them? 

Do you believe the numbers being reported in the US? They are equally false in that there is a lack of testing. REAL numbers at this stage NEVER reflect the actual numbers of infections. I see no reason why the numbers being reported aren't the numbers they gest from the (limited) testing, anywhere, Thailand, US or elsewhere.