floridarob

When will Thailand open to Tourists- question/speculation?

I suppose it can't be the case that the Government's ulterior motive is to disembowel the tourist industry to such an extent that Thailand is a destination reserved exclusively for the very wealthy? I remember warning that military juntas are not usually fearless defenders of sexual freedoms, apart from their own mia nois of course,  and the commercial sex scene may be under increased scrutiny.

Perhaps the virus has achieved what was wanted .

Reserving tourism for only the very wealthy might work if starting off with some pristine tropical islands and adding super premium villas with infinity pools and all the rest of it.   Concentrating on high end tourism could work in the Maldives, but it's really going to be a hard sell in places like Pattaya or Patong beach.  

People prepared to spend >£1000 per night are unlikely to accept anything but the highest quality accommodation & destinations.

Here's an example of the kind of place that attracts the very wealthy (in Phuket).  https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/sri-panwa-luxury-villa-x24-phuket-thailand/index.html

To attract a similar type of client to Pattaya, they would first have to start with a mass demolition programme.  Then spend a fortune on landscaping, add in a few fancy villas and finally rebrand as Nakluea or whatever.     Something like Ceausescu, in reverse.

Of course, a more moderate repositioning might make sense, but Thailand can hardly afford to ignore it's existing middle class mass tourism market.   

Just in case the generals think they can continue to repress the economy,  protesters will continue to put pressure on them.

From Pattaya News

Study finds 82% of Thais “confident” in reopening tourism sector

As Thailand gradually reopens its borders, new findings from a global study suggests that 82% of Thais are confident that Thailand is well prepared to reopen its tourism and leisure activities, the highest globally. The study also found that tourists from Hong Kong, Singapore, Philippines, Indonesia, and India are all targeting Thailand as their first destination when their countries’ borders reopen.

Jointly conducted by leading social research agency Blackbox Research, data provider Dynata, and language partner Language Connect, “Unravel Travel: Fear & Possibilities in a Post Coronavirus (Covid-19) World” examined the sentiments, preferences, and expectations of 10,195 people across 17 countries regarding travel in a post-Covid-19 world.

Thailand’s economy is heavily dependent on tourism, with foreign tourist revenue contributing around 11% to the national economy. The vast majority (93%) of Thais recognise the importance of the tourism sector to the local economy. In fact, 22% of Thais agree that there is an urgent need for tourism boards, including their own, to promote tourism for economic reasons – the highest globally.

Saurabh Sardana, CEO of Blackbox Research, says that both regional interest and citizen sentiment toward restarting local tourism have been encouraging, especially given the country’s phased approach in reopening to business and medical tourists. Sardana notes that establishing traveller’s trust in health and safety protocols is key, and that Thailand needs to capitalise on its success in containing the COVID-19 outbreak.

“It is evident from our findings the immense value tourism contributes to Thailand’s economy. As Thailand progressively opens its borders to international visitors, its immediate priority will be to regain traveller confidence, through reinforcing how Thailand has in place strict health and safety measures, keeping everyone safe.

Amongst Southeast Asian countries, Thailand has the strongest domestic appeal. 91% of Thais are keen to support local travel attractions in the next 12 months – a positive sign given Thailand’s recent investment of 22.4 billion baht (US$720 million) to stimulate its domestic tourism, of which partial financial aid will be provided to local tourists for selected hotels and restaurants throughout the country.

16 hours ago, reader said:

Jointly conducted by leading social research agency Blackbox Research, data provider Dynata, and language partner Language Connect, “Unravel Travel: Fear & Possibilities in a Post Coronavirus (Covid-19) World” examined the sentiments, preferences, and expectations of 10,195 people across 17 countries regarding travel in a post-Covid-19 world.

Thailand’s economy is heavily dependent on tourism, with foreign tourist revenue contributing around 11% to the national economy. The vast majority (93%) of Thais recognise the importance of the tourism sector to the local economy. In fact, 22% of Thais agree that there is an urgent need for tourism boards, including their own, to promote tourism for economic reasons – the highest globally.

10,195 respondents across 17 countries does not seem to me like a viable survey. Without further information we can only conclude that about 600 Thais were polled. So ir it the 82% of all Thais who are confident that the country is ready for tourism or just 82% of the 600?

We need to know a lot more about those polled before any conclusion can be drawn.

8 hours ago, PeterRS said:

10,195 respondents across 17 countries does not seem to me like a viable survey. Without further information we can only conclude that about 600 Thais were polled. So ir it the 82% of all Thais who are confident that the country is ready for tourism or just 82% of the 600?

We need to know a lot more about those polled before any conclusion can be drawn.

You do so enjoy throwing cold water on any news that indicates tourism may be restored in form or another.

The article's author was the same writer at Pattaya News that Gaybutton cited for "presenting facts" in another thread on tourism. That seemed like a pretty good endorsement to me.

Btw, when the Suan Dusit poll results were reported here on June 14, indicating that "nearly 76% answered ‘No’ when asked if Thailand’s borders should be open again to incoming foreigners," you never raised an issue with how that poll was conducted.

As a retired expat with time on your hands, why not conduct a poll that rises to your standards? Contact more people and get your thumb on the pulse of the masses (but try to include some unemployed from the northeast of the nation).

Better yet, get out there and give readers some venue reports instead of criticism. Two other expat members who live inthe City of Angels have provided us with fine stuff. Michael's latest "walk" was a breath of fresh air with some rollicking good laughs.  We've never needed that more than now.

We anxiously await your views on the bars instead of the polls (note: those shiny "poles" that the boys bang their dicks on are fine).

42 minutes ago, reader said:

You do so enjoy throwing cold water on any news that indicates tourism may be restored in form or another.

I do not ENJOY anything of the sort. I believe in being practical in the light of the dreadful situation the entire world finds itself in. For those not in Thailand who wish to visit, I very much regret that they are unable to do so. But facing facts is far better than hoped for speculation. I do not go out to bars as I have a partner. So what do you want me to do? Make up a story?

Like all posters I comment on posts or comments in posts that i wish to. I saw no point in commenting on the earlier poll. I do not need you to tell me what I should comment on.

23 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

I do not go out to bars as I have a partner. So what do you want me to do?

Even if you don't enter the bars, you're obviously an observant person judging from your reports on trips to other counties. Tell us what you see when you walk around the Silom/Surawong area. Are there many guys outside the massage shops? Which ones are open? Did you find any attractive? That would be a real service to those of us who can't be there.

Many members appreciate your fine contributions to the photo forum. But first-hand accounts of what's really happening in Bangkok is what we craze.

2 hours ago, reader said:

Even if you don't enter the bars, you're obviously an observant person judging from your reports on trips to other counties. Tell us what you see when you walk around the Silom/Surawong area. Are there many guys outside the massage shops? Which ones are open? Did you find any attractive? That would be a real service to those of us who can't be there.

Many members appreciate your fine contributions to the photo forum. But first-hand accounts of what's really happening in Bangkok is what we craze.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I visit the Silom area about once a fortnight for coffee with friends at Silomm Complex and to visit the supermarket. I have not been to Silom in the evenings for a very long time, certainly more than two years. As for Suriwong, I was again there only once a few weeks ago to visit a friend staying at the Marriott Hotel. But that was for breakfast and the hotel is a long way from the bar area. As for Patpong, I have not been near there for years. So since any information I post would be very much out of date perhaps you can advise me what I can post that will be a craze for you. I cannot think of anything unless you want information on traffic conditions and the weather. On that front, the traffic has returned to being bad and the weather is rain in the afternoon or evening on many days. But since that will not be what interests you and the others who craze I will cease posting and stick to photographs as long as stocks last.

On 8/16/2020 at 10:58 AM, PeterRS said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I was hoping that a gay expat living in the city might naturally be curious about the gay scene in the Silom area and would share his observations with members. Now that you have informed us that you have no interest in that scene, I can better appreciate the attitude you have toward the restoration of international tourism-- a matter that is of so much interest to many of us not lucky enough to be there.

Nevertheless, thanks for the traffic and weather update. :)

21 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

It seems strange to me even if I had boyfriend I would steel pay a visit from time to time at Patpong just for fun why punish yourself and avoid the excellent Bangkok's night life  ?

You have to recognise that different people have different interests.  

e.g. Some might like to go and watch live sport & others wouldn't dream of it.   

Even within our community, there are different tastes.    Apparently some even enjoy the shows with screeching lady boys followed by some big lads performing in very poor light.  I'd rather visit a gogo bar with some skinny lads in small white underwear and sufficient light that I can see them.  

5 hours ago, z909 said:

Even within our community, there are different tastes...  I'd rather visit a gogo bar with some skinny lads in small white underwear and sufficient light that I can see them.  

You call it taste ?!? Horror, LOL

I thank everyone for their comments. Let me please set the record straight.

1. Even in this time of covid19, I am one of the fortunate ones. I am healthy and I am able to work part-time for about 4 hours each day.

2. I have a Thai partner. We enjoy being together and spending time together. Again I am fortunate in that I am here and he is here. I am sorry for all who have freinds and boyfriends here who are stuck overseas through no fault of their own. When I met my boyfriend on the Blued app he had never been in any gay establishment in Bangkok. He lived on the outskirts of the city, comes from near Chiang Rai and has a busy job with a company providing translation services. 

3. If you had wanted a summary of gay bars 5 years ago I would happily be submitting long reports. The last time I was in Soi Twilight was a few nights before DIck's closed. I believe that was two years ago. A few friends and I met for one last dinner for old times sake. We then moved over to Hotmale 2, one of the host bars near the entrance to the soi for a couple of drinks and to people watch although there were not any people that night. I have not been in a gogo bar in that soi for about 4 years.

4. I have not been in Silom Soi 4 for more than 2 years.

5. When I used to go to Soi Twilight I would cut through Patpong 2 to get a taxi on Silom to avoid the rip off drivers. I have not been in the Patpong area since bars started moving there.

I am sorry I cannot provide the reports that some posters want. One sad note for those who enjoy fine dining at a medium price.  La Table de Tee, the little French nouvelle cuisine style reastaurant in a dead end alley off Saladaeng and a favourite of many is a casualty of the virus. It will not reopen.

6 hours ago, z909 said:

Even within our community, there are different tastes.    Apparently some even enjoy the shows with screeching lady boys followed by some big lads performing in very poor light.  I'd rather visit a gogo bar with some skinny lads in small white underwear and sufficient light that I can see them.  

I am in agreement with you z909, my preference is the skinny lads at a go go bar. But many in the gay community, with partners, don't ever visit the gay venues and even more so with Covid.

Until tourism reopends it will be up to the expats and gay Thais to keep things open and alive.

8 hours ago, PeterRS said:

One sad note for those who enjoy fine dining at a medium price.  La Table de Tee, the little French nouvelle cuisine style reastaurant in a dead end alley off Saladaeng and a favourite of many is a casualty of the virus. It will not reopen.

That is sad news, my partner and I don't often get up to Bangkok unless we are flying out on holiday but La Table de Tee served excellent food at a very reasonable price for the quality

This article gives  an idea how to prevent lockdowns and therefore some small hope.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/369/6504/608.full?s=08

https://theconversation.com/rapid-screening-tests-that-prioritize-speed-over-accuracy-could-be-key-to-ending-the-coronavirus-pandemic-143882

What is needed are cheap (1$), fast (5 min) widely available tests. They will be less sensitive than PCR (50%, so only people with sufficient virus load can be detected) tests, but you can test much more often,  and that will make up for the lower sensitivity. People go to work / school / whatever normally and regularly get tested say 2 times a week. If negative, please continue as normal. If positive, isolation + reconfirmation with PCR-Test. Keeps the numbers low but of course not close to zero.
Probably not that easy with turism, as there is still the risk of being positive and therefore spending your holiday locked in in a hotel room. And the country would need to make available sufficient space suitable for isolation.

19 hours ago, Londoner said:

Were SARS and MERS eradicated? or chicken 'flu? Asian 'flu? 

I have read a number of scientific papers over recent years about SARS. The American Journal of Biomedical Science and Research stated this  

It is long past time that we declared the 2003 SARS epidemic to have been successfully eradicated through human intervention. The psychological impact of such a declaration is enormous, with the potential to assist future disease eradication efforts. Psychology aside, the strongest argument for the eradication of the 2003 SARS epidemic is fundamentally that it appeared, we acted, and it is gone ..... 

In many ways, the 2003 SARS epidemic was an easy disease to eradicate. Hospital access could be restricted, masks issued, borders monitored, airports screened. Nevertheless, the fact that these steps were undertaken at all, and successfully, should not be minimized. If the biggest argument against declaring SARS eradicated is that it was too easy, this is a good place to be in. We don’t get many “wins” against infectious diseases, so let’s seize this one. We can only hope that future outbreaks will be as easy to eradicate.

https://biomedgrid.com/pdf/AJBSR.MS.ID.001017.pdf

With SARS the world got lucky for two reasons. The period between infection and showing signs of symptoms was as early as 2 days. Then SARS was only transmitted once an infected person started to show symptoms. Testing and tracing was far easier than with covid19. Sorry I cannot speak for the other viruses you listed.

Most studies state clearly that early and accurate transmission of information between health authorities is vital in countering new viruses. With covid19 that has been lacking from the get go. The Chinese authorities are definitely in the wrong. The WHO were slow off the ball. Governments and health authorities around the world were equally slow off the ball. We should not forget the first known identified case outside China was discovered in Thailand on 13 January. Despite CDC alerts between January 6 and 8 about the danger of travel to and from China, general travel from China to the US was banned only on February 2 but with a large number of exceptions. Italy also confirmed the first European cases at the end of January and banned air travel from China at the same time. By then this virus was well and truly out of control.

Vietnam, Taiwan and Hong Kong were hard hit by SARS. Hong Kong has also had waves of various waves of swine flu. In these cases governments acted fast and set up departments to deal with future health emergencies. Taiwan has only had one small wave, Vietnam now two and Hong Kong three. But total numbers remain tiny compared to most other countries. At some future time I hope a lot of people around the world are going to be held accountable for the huge death toll and the coming economic catastrophes.

14 hours ago, PeterRS said:

At some future time I hope a lot of people around the world are going to be held accountable for the huge death toll and the coming economic catastrophes.

only USA will reward her president with re-election for his brilliant performance, just watch

On 8/23/2020 at 9:50 AM, vinapu said:

only USA will reward her president with re-election for his brilliant performance, just watch

Oh please God no...

Something odd seems to be happening on the inbound tourism situation. Apart from the talk of opening Phuket in October but with quarantine and the possibility thereafter of travelling to other parts of the country after a 3rd week of quarantine (none of this yet finally confirmed), I am surprised at a new TAT TV commercial being shown regularly on many of the True Visions TV channels, including CNN. Apart from making Thailand seem alluring, it stresses the fact it is safe. This campaign seems to be addressed to possible overseas visitors rather than local travellers. Then this morning I got an email from Qatar Airlines advising they have now resumed 10 flights a week from Bangkok. Only one-way tickets are offered at reasonable prices. In September flights to London are 10315 baht economy and 36470 biz class. 

I have no idea what has prompted these actions unless there is a possible opening up in the works sooner rather than later. But that is purely my read.

From The Nation

THAI ready to fly in tourists from 6 nations, even China

Thai Airways International Plc is ready to arrange special direct charter flights from six countries to Phuket under the government’s plan to revive the subdued tourism sector, said acting president Chansin Treenuchagron.

Thai Airways International Plc is ready to arrange special direct charter flights from six countries to Phuket under the government’s plan to revive the subdued tourism sector, said acting president Chansin Treenuchagron.

The six countries are Denmark, Germany, the United Kingdom, South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong.

The airline can make two flights per month on each of these routes, Chansin said.

THAI is expected to begin these special flights in late November. The airline will even increase the flights on these routes if it sees rising demand, he said.

It is also expected to make special charter flights from China to Phuket.