reader

PM to look into extending tourist visas to 90 days

16 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

I hope those kinds of thoughts will extend into expats and retirement visas.  I doubt many expats are thrilled with the idea that financial requirements, and perhaps other requirements as well, may be raised.  I hope the new administration will realize that tourists are not the only ones who spend money. and a lot of it, in Thailand.  What about us expats, many of who have lived in Thailand for years and spend money here virtually every day?  That never seems to be taken into consideration.  I can understand wanting to get rid of the "bad guys", but what about the "good guys" that make up the vast majority of retirement visa holders living in Thailand?  Punish the majority to expel the small minority?  I hope not.

Having read so much about retirement visas over several years, increasingly it seems that the bad guys continue to be the crook agents and crook Immigration officers and less crook retirees. If the government just cleaned up its own house, much of the problem could be solved without the need to increase fees in my view.

The optimistic part is, as far as I know, the only one who has even mentioned anything about increasing the requirements is Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn, aka "Big Joke" and I've only seen that he mentioned it once.

I have seen nothing from anyone else - police, immigration, politicians, saying a word about it.  And "Big Joke" doesn't seem to be actively pushing it, although his word does carry a lot of weight in Thailand, but he does not have the authority to unilaterally impose any changes.  Even if the powers-that-be become interested in doing that, it won't happen overnight.

By the way, in his nickname "Big Joke" - joke does not mean joke as in humorous or funny.  It refers to joke - a popular Thai breakfast dish.

image.jpeg

How or why that became his nickname, I have no idea - but there it is.

3 minutes ago, Gaybutton said:

The optimistic part is, as far as I know, the only one who has mentioned anything about increasing the requirements is Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn, aka "Big Joke" and I've only seen that he mentioned it once.

I have seen nothing from anyone else - police, immigration, politicians, saying a word about it.  And "Big Joke" doesn't seem to be actively pushing it.  Even if the powers-that-be become interested in doing that, it won't happen overnight.

By the way, in his nickname "Big Joke" - joke does not mean joke as in humorous or funny.  It refers to joke - a popular Thai breakfast dish.

image.jpeg.cc3e4972250393b4b5e4a92a55422f8b.jpeg

How or why that became his nickname, I have no idea - but there it is.

image.jpeg

Looks good. Best place to find it?

5 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

Looks good. Best place to find it?

You probably won't find it in restaurants.  It is primarily a Thai street food.  Look for it in the morning hours.  It is available just about anywhere, usually for 50 or 60 baht.  Included ingredients vary, so check around for the one you like best.

1 hour ago, Gaybutton said:

You probably won't find it in restaurants.  It is primarily a Thai street food.  Look for it in the morning hours.  It is available just about anywhere, usually for 50 or 60 baht.  Included ingredients vary, so check around for the one you like best.

Thanks!

No doubt that the new PM got the idea for the 90-day visa from Vietnam which began offering it as an option Aug. 15. Since then, applications for e-visas have risen 70% with most coming from South Korea, Japan and the UK.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/new-visa-policy-helping-facilitate-tourism-development-authority-4647925.html

3 hours ago, reader said:

No doubt that the new PM got the idea for the 90-day visa from Vietnam which began offering it as an option Aug. 15. Since then, applications for e-visas have risen 70% with most coming from South Korea, Japan and the UK.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/new-visa-policy-helping-facilitate-tourism-development-authority-4647925.html

link above worth clicking not only for information but also for picture of handsome tourist walking in Hue and sporting nice bulge

3 hours ago, scott456 said:

There is a rumor that Thailand will soon waive visa for Chinese tourists. Just imagine the enormous crowd may soon compete with you for the boys.

I'm merely curious. When Chinese tourists were flowing pre covid into Thailand like a river in flood, were there many Chinese guys to be found in the gogo bars and other gay venues? I realise it's difficult to be specific given that ethnic Chinese from other parts of Asia were no doubt customers, but my impression is that tourists from mainland China were not prolific gay bar goers.

I was surprised to learn Thailand don't already give the Chinese visa exempt entry for 30 days like the long list of other countries, I thought they had pretty good diplomatic relations and the potential tourism numbers involved would have put that in motion years ago.

I wish they would extend the tourist visa exemption scheme to 90 days, it would save me from a couple of unnecessary visa run and immigration dept days for the trip I'm about to embark on.

From Thailand News Agency

BANGKOK, Sept 4 (TNA) – The Immigration Bureau is preparing plans to implement the prime minister’s policy of granting visa-free entry to Chinese tourists starting from October 1.

However, it is acknowledged that this policy may lead to overcrowding at entry points, notably airports. Consequently, adjustments and increased staffing will be required, and discussions will be held with aviation authorities to create special channels for Chinese tourists, minimizing the impact on travelers from other countries.

Additionally, the Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau and related authorities will travel to China this evening to engage in discussions with Chinese officials regarding visa-free policies. They will also discuss strategies to combat criminal activities, syndicates, and various criminal groups that may take advantage of the situation to enter Thailand during this period. (TNA)

On 8/26/2023 at 6:00 PM, reader said:

From Thai PBS World

He also said, however, that the proposal from some tourism business operators for the government to exempt entry visas for tourists from China, India and Russia is a different issue, which has security implications and has to be considered carefully.

As I understand it, visa policies are usually on a reciprocal basis. So I get 90 days visa free when I enter Japan and Japanese get 90 days when they enter the UK.

If Thailand exempts Chinese from the requirement for a visa, will Thais then get visa free entry into China? Somehow I think the Chinese authorities are going to find that difficult to agree.

9 hours ago, PeterRS said:

As I understand it, visa policies are usually on a reciprocal basis. So I get 90 days visa free when I enter Japan and Japanese get 90 days when they enter the UK.

If Thailand exempts Chinese from the requirement for a visa, will Thais then get visa free entry into China? Somehow I think the Chinese authorities are going to find that difficult to agree.

That's the general rule but is seems there's more exceptions than sticking to the rule. 

Thais still need visas to most countries citizens of are granted 30 days visa  exempt entry. I know several countries I can go visa free but their citizens can't come without visa to my country. 

Sometimes national pride prevails, sometimes welcome to the tourist dollar takes over. Certain rules are outright strange. It seems that from October on,  Egyptian citizens holding dual nationality will be required to get a visa if they want to visit Egypt but they are living abroad,

Strangest rule I personally encountered in mid 90-ties was being  denied admission  to country my passport allowed me visa free entry but because it was issued by embassy abroad I was not admitted. 

so bottom line is don't count on reciprocation, don't count on consistency, check rules well before intended trip and also shortly before.  

On 9/5/2023 at 6:19 PM, ChristianPFC said:

I as a German citizen get 30 days visa free or 60 days on tourist visa.

Is there a mistake in the article or which nationalities are they referring to?

Germany is on the list of around 60 countries that their citizens can receive 30 days visa exempt with a further 30 days on offer by visiting the local immigration office.