Pantherz

Andaz Pattaya / Upscale Pattaya Resorts Near Gay Scene

I have never been to Pattaya (although I have been to Bangkok many times). I see that a new Andaz resort opened in Pattaya this year. It looks really nice and seems to be receiving great reviews. 

Would the location be very inconvenient for enjoying the gay nightlife in Pattaya? When I look at Google Maps, it looks like the resort is a 22 minute drive from Jomtien Complex, which is quite a drive when you want to go out unplanned and just roam around. Is there other gay nightlife closer to the resort’s location?

If the location is overall inconvenient, is there another resort on the beach of similar caliber that is within walking distance to the gay scene?

Thanks

Too far not only because of distance, but I suspect also very poor availability of transport, especially if you stay out late. 

I would suggest you decide which is your main priority: gay scene/fun or tropical beach? This hotel is likely to give you neither. 

If your top priority is the beach - warm ocean waters, low-rise bungalows in lush verdant settings, Pattaya/Jomtien will disappoint. Try Krabi perhaps or the resorts of Phuket (outside of Patong town). No gay life unless you bring your own.

If your top priority is the gay scene, then it won't be very fruitful to look for tropical beach resorts, least of all 4-star or 5-star places. All over the world the gay scene tends to be located in urban settings. Some of us even feel the grittier or grungier, the better.🤪

4 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

There is Jomtien Palm Beach Hotel and Resort, on Jomtien beach road, about 100m from the Dongtan police post. 

Claims to be a 5-star hotel on Booking.com, but quoting me a price of under 10,000 baht for a 5-night stay. Cheapest room of course but still... Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.booking.com/Share-YdP3Ht

I've stayed in Jomtien Palm Beach Hotel and have no complaints. It is reasonable, massive, huge rooms but it is an old hotel now so allow a little bit of a tired look. Has a bowling alley, massive fabulous swimming pool and great breakfast. 

Main thing is it very close to the Jomtien Complex. It is a perfect location.

Another great peaceful hotel is the Agate Boutique hotel, right within the complex itself, looking out onto the bars. Great tropical oasis pool at the rear too. It's spot on. 

As for the Andaz, it's way too far for the gay scene. And why waste money there on accomodation?......it's more expensive than the Hilton 🥴

4 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

IMG_6299.png

This is the part one has to watch out for:

image.thumb.png.19b8f5d14f5e28fd93a353ca6a61a3f0.png

£4 - £6 sounds very cheap by Western standards, and comes across as more an invitation to book with this hotel than a barrier. It's good that @Pantherz is asking because those of us familiar with Pattaya might be able to advise if there are even any taxis there. I can't answer this question because I have never stayed south of Jomtien Complex, but having visited Pattaya many times, I hardly see taxis in the traditional sense. Grab cars maybe, but then they are unmarked, so I don't have visibility into that.

What I can say is that £4 - £6  is equivalent to 175 - 250 baht, which is not the amount I would pay for transport in this town short of having to be rushed to hospital. When I stayed in downtown Pattaya earlier this month, I travelled to Jomtien for 10 baht (albeit in a songtaew), which is one-twentieth of the "cheap" taxi rate mentioned in the above graphic. Context is everything.

15 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

But are there any 4 star hotels, or better, within walking distance of the gay areas? I like a bit of comfort!

I'm not sure you need 4 stars or better for comfort. There's a Hilton at Central Festival. That's not super far from Boys Town but a bit of a walk. You'd need to hop on the baht bus to Jomtien. I stayed at the Hotel Baraquda Heeton Pattaya by Compass Hospitality when it was the Dusit D2. I suspect it's a bit more worn down now unless Compass has invested some money. If you take a look at the map on Agoda or any other booking site you will see what's available. Seems like there are many small places that are comfortable. Lots of condos in addition to hotels.

10 hours ago, fedssocr said:

I'm not sure you need 4 stars or better for comfort. There's a Hilton at Central Festival. That's not super far from Boys Town but a bit of a walk. 

or one can hop on baht bus and be there in 2 minutes for 10 baht. But walk is pleasant through lively stretch of Beach Road, watch your steps on uneven pavement though 

13 minutes ago, Pantherz said:

Not sure why luxury accommodation is discouraged? Nothing exciting about roughing it if one can afford to stay somewhere nice. 

While you are right, I must say that I'm one of those frugal when comes to accommodation but  for a while on every  trip I treated myself  with something better for 2-3 nights just to see how it is for the best quarter .

I stopped it for two reasons : first I noticed  that I tend to spent more time in the room basking in those luxuries, second and most important I noticed that difference in price is much much more that difference in quality offered. Do I really need 4 towels when 2 or even 1 will do? Do I need an iron on whoring trip ? Or full set of kitchen utensils ?

Part most discouraging further splurging  ,  for me , being room size queen like floridarob once charitably remarked , was that often rooms while full of amenities were  of disappointingly small size. 

5 hours ago, fedssocr said:

For me location is the most important criterion. If the choice is a perfectly-located 3 star sort of place or a not as well located 5 star I know which I prefer. And most places I have stayed in Thailand are of a quite good standard even if they're not 4 or 5 star luxury.

Location, location, location.

I agree.I will always prefer good decent hotel close to the action then isolated luxurious hotel. In Pattaya you can find very good 3/4 stats hotel with very nice room swimming pool and good breakfast at third/half price of 5 stars hotels, Personally I don't see the point paying so much for 5 stars hotels especially when I hardly in the room most of the day and mainly using it only for sleeping.