numazu

Bangkok/Yangon/Bagan/Mandalay Trip Report: Playing With Fire

I am sensing that your relationship with BurBoy is continuing to develop even further  and may progress even deeper in coming days. 

Given you long-time BF back home, how are you going to prepare both yourself and BurBoy for the inevitable parting, especially as he seems to be growing fond of you?, 

I don't ask this critically because I am sure that I would go with the flow as well under the same circumstances, but I guess it is something you have been giving thought to?

Guest abang1961

Now, I am looking at the possibilities of booking a flight to Myanmar...see the damage you have done, N...(in a very good way).. Keep up the reporting..I am sure that South East Asia cross-country tourism boards must be thankful .. (minus the sexual bits, but I like!)

We call the leaves sirih in malaysia, now only exists as part of malay tradition during weddings, more so as decoration rather than to chew. My grandma now age close to 90 used to chew them. In yangon especially, a lot of them still chew and spit alongside roads and pedestrians walkway making the area smells and of reddish color.

Or maybe I am just going through some early form of mid-life crisis, and its playing out right in front of you.

Maybe...and maybe strong feelings can be confusing and somewhat messy.  Consider the alternative: the unemotional life.  It's not as rich or varied.  My humble suggestion is to continue wondering while you muddle though being human.

My regular Bangkok hair dresser suggested to wear a black ribbon if I didn't bring enough black or white clothes.

He told me that I should be able to get it from the hotel where I was staying. The hotel staff was happy to provide black ribbon so I wore it.

Ordinary Thais are still wearing black surprisingly even Thaniya bar girls.

Wearing black has relaxed considerably, even among Thais, so I'd say as a foreign tourist at this point there's no need anymore. While it's true that you still see many Thais wearing black, keep in mind that they bought many black clothes recently. Just continue avoiding bright colors for the time being, that should be enough not to offend any sensitivities.

Numazu, you're wise to undertake these adventures at a relatively young age and fortunate to have found a guy who brings so much sheer joy into the relationship.  Butterfly or no butterfly, you're one lucky guy.  One of the things I find myself occasionally falling victim to is the feeling that it's too late to fully enjoy life. But what really holds me back is not physical constraint but a mental one that often finds excuses to believe that it's even possible. Sharing your experiences challenges that mindset. Thanks for taking the time to put these reports together; they're like a not-so-gentle nudge in the back.

Numazu, you're wise to undertake these adventures at a relatively young age and fortunate to have found a guy who brings so much sheer joy into the relationship.  Butterfly or no butterfly, you're one lucky guy.  One of the things I find myself occasionally falling victim to is the feeling that it's too late to fully enjoy life. But what really holds me back is not physical constraint but a mental one that often finds excuses to believe that it's even possible. Sharing your experiences challenges that mindset. Thanks for taking the time to put these reports together; they're like a not-so-gentle nudge in the back.

Spot-on!   That's absolutely spot-on! 

'Carpe Diem' was the Roman phrase, and how many of actually do still 'seize the day' as middle-age overtakes us.

This TR is proving an inspiration perhaps even a guilt-trip to some of us all-too-far-from-medium-sized couch potatoes.

" And its great that we wear the same size shirts."

certainly that can't  be said about overwhelming majority of us farangs and our Thai ( Burmese, Lao, Cambodian, Viet ) boys , lucky you and enjoy while it lasts, LOL  

LOL!  Not even when traveling with a Tawan boy ?